BWO Pattern

zekekb

Heading to the mountains next week and I am looking for a few mayfly patterns. I have tied a few light Cahills but I am looking for an BWO pattern. There are hundreds out on the interwebs, I was just wondering what recipes you guys have had success with. Thanks

Tightliner

Heading to the mountains next week and I am looking for a few mayfly patterns. I have tied a few light Cahills but I am looking for an BWO pattern. There are hundreds out on the interwebs, I was just wondering what recipes you guys have had success with. Thanks

Good choice to load the box;). BWO is my bread and butter fly it is always at the dropper end of a Dry attractor when I'm dry fishing. #18 and smaller. I prefer a DARK olive dubbing. Black microfibrette tail. I use two wing patterns for condition versatility. Black wing post is my favorite but I also tie in white if the lighting conditions call for it. I use parachute ONLY. One dark dun hackle combined with a furnace brown that is one size smaller than hook size. This smaller combined with the actual adds extra float. I actually fish with more 20's and 22's although warmer weather tends to bring out bigger bugs.

Dont forget to tie up some BWO emergers too! They can be deadly. #20 scud hook, Wood duck or mallard for tail (microfibrette works well too), DARK olive flash dubbing (sparse at tail, mounded @ thorax), 2 dark dun emerging wings from a neck patch, #22 brown hackle spiraled just to let the nose ride the surface. I think there is a pic of this in my photo archive. Also, do the same as above, but replace the wings and hackles with folded Dark dun CDC.

If you need specifics on specific hook sku's or dubbing brands, let me know. I'm at work now and dont recall #'s/brands specifically. Your materials make alot of difference in the quality of tying, particularly tying small.

Later..............................................

Last edited:

Tightliner

More info

Btw, go to page 2 of this forum and look under the post titled "Dropper patterns....." I've got a few pics of different variations of BWO emergers and cripples mixed in with the pics.

Or click here:
http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=296516

Later.........................................

Last edited:

Tightliner

What do you think of a bead head copper john or bead head prince? Would these work?

I always use a copper when the midges are on and a prince is always a good all-round (mimics everything from emerging caddis all the way to Isonychias). However, when you get strong Baetis (BWO), I think a pheasent tail is a little closer for a generic pattern. Try a copper with dark olive wrap (floss or tying thread) and sparse wrap of copper for a rib effect. Or....Dark olive thread wrapped from tail to thorax with a small wrap of peacock herl, it adds a little luminesence. Mix and match, thats how new patterns emerge;)! Sometimes selective fish key on the small things.

Later............