Campsite Security

SWAMPFOX

I am going to be doing some camping way out in the boonies and I'd like to figure a way to rig some type of security around my campsite before I turn in for the night.

I was thinking some kind of monofilament fish line "fence" installed around the perimeter with some type of rattle/noise maker on so if anything broke the fishing line I'd be awakened.

Anybody ever done anything like this or have any ideas?

Thanks.

KDarsey

Yep, I got a little Blue Heeler that will let me know when you leave YOUR house.
I don't think I'd want to do that with the fishing line, if a possum or 'coon came waddling through I'd probably be tearing up the woods gettin' outa there!:eek:

Capt Quirk

Use tin cans with rocks in them. You set the can on a stick, so it is balanced on there, using the tripwire to hold it there. When it is knocked off the stick, it will rattle. Army Field Training Manual.

Capt Quirk

95 Bravo, MP. Unlike my Dad, I didn't make it a career. I was at Ft. McClellan in Al, so I know enough about red clay to know it is a bugger.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I am going to be doing some camping way out in the boonies and I'd like to figure a way to rig some type of security around my campsite before I turn in for the night.

I was thinking some kind of monofilament fish line "fence" installed around the perimeter with some type of rattle/noise maker on so if anything broke the fishing line I'd be awakened.

Anybody ever done anything like this or have any ideas?

Thanks.

Why?

Capt Quirk

No, never saw it. Again, why? :D
The Protagonists were Bikers going across the country in 1969(?), and pick up a drunken Lawyer (Played by Jack Nicholson) who decides to join them on their way to New Orleans. Along the way, they end up stopping in small town America for a bite, and run into the Uptight Moral Country folk, who assume the long hairs to be Commies or Devil Worshipers... or both. Some of the townies follow them out of town, and while they are sleeping in their camp off the side of the road, the townies attack them, beating Jack to death with an ax handle.

That's why :)

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
The Protagonists were Bikers going across the country in 1969(?), and pick up a drunken Lawyer (Played by Jack Nicholson) who decides to join them on their way to New Orleans. Along the way, they end up stopping in small town America for a bite, and run into the Uptight Moral Country folk, who assume the long hairs to be Commies or Devil Worshipers... or both. Some of the townies follow them out of town, and while they are sleeping in their camp off the side of the road, the townies attack them, beating Jack to death with an ax handle.

That's why :)

Oh, ok. I still wouldn`t worry a whole lot though. I might regret it one day, but I don`t worry about such as that, or any other kinds of varmints, for that matter. Ain`t nothin` gonna mess with you.

SWAMPFOX

A couple of reasons for my concern is: (1) I want to camp in the Osceola National Forest in north Florida which has a decent bear population. I know all the precautions to take regarding camping where there are bears but still would like an "early warning" system. (2) I plan to camp in the Ocala National Forest in central Florida and there's a bear concern there, as well as unwanted 2-legged riff raff.

Capt Quirk

A couple of reasons for my concern is: (1) I want to camp in the Osceola National Forest in north Florida which has a decent bear population. I know all the precautions to take regarding camping where there are bears but still would like an "early warning" system. (2) I plan to camp in the Ocala National Forest in central Florida and there's a bear concern there, as well as unwanted 2-legged riff raff.
That is very true. Bands of thieves and meth labs. Several people went in, but didn't come back.

allenww

Come on, folks. You are safer in the woods, statistically, than you are in your living room.

But I'm with the others - if it is truly of concern, take your dog.