2006 Silverado emission problem

drippin' rock

I'm pulling my hair out here. My 3 year old truck came up for it's first emission check this time around, and sure enough it failed. P0449 - Evap Emiss Control Sys. Vent Valve/Solenoid Circ. and gas cap.

I replaced the gas cap and the fuel overflow solenoid on the top of the engine. I drove it for 200 miles, disconnected the battery, and hallaluhah, the engine light went out!!! That is until I got to the emissions place and watched the light prompty come back on. Failed again. Anybody have any experience/suggestions?

Also, tag fees are due tomorrow. Can I go with paperwork in hand showing my efforts and get an extension or something??::;

GoldDot40

Is it pulling the same code as it was when the gas cap 'failed'? It's hard for me to believe a 3 year old gas cap failed. Do they still test the gas cap during the inspection? Or do they simply scan the ECU for the trouble code? I know we actually tested the gas cap when I did emissions inspections.....but that's been 9 years ago.

chadf

shoot me a pm with your number and I'll tell ya what to do!

drippin' rock

Is it pulling the same code as it was when the gas cap 'failed'? It's hard for me to believe a 3 year old gas cap failed. Do they still test the gas cap during the inspection? Or do they simply scan the ECU for the trouble code? I know we actually tested the gas cap when I did emissions inspections.....but that's been 9 years ago.

Yeah, they tested the gas cap seperately. And yes, the same code appeared. P0449. I also replaced the vent/valve/ solenoid.

red tail

GONetwork Member
To re-set the computer you are suppose to unplug the battery first then drive it 200 miles.

scoop069

To re-set the computer you are suppose to unplug the battery first then drive it 200 miles.

Yep. I failed a test before because i had to replace the battery the day before. Unplugging a battery is bad before a test.
Goodluck!