Metal roof vs. Shingles

Goatwoman

I want pros and cons of both of these roofs . We r trying to decide which one to install on our house. We currently have shingles. Thank you. GW

Capt Quirk

I'm tossing these choices over myself. I like tin, or metal roofs, they are pretty tough and long lasting if done right, and can get really expensive, depending on how fancy you want to get. Metal roofing will run much more per square foot, but will survive longer than shingles. When it rains hard or hails, you might wish you had soft shingles. What kind of house do you have, and is money a factor?

Goatwoman

Roof

I'm tossing these choices over myself. I like tin, or metal roofs, they are pretty tough and long lasting if done right, and can get really expensive, depending on how fancy you want to get. Metal roofing will run much more per square foot, but will survive longer than shingles. When it rains hard or hails, you might wish you had soft shingles. What kind of house do you have, and is money a factor?[/QUOTE

We want to leave the shingles under it because we heard we could do that . We live in a brick house and money can be a factor . However, I want to check everything out first before deciding. The reason we built brick was for maintence free . Thank you .

naildrvr

if you go with a metal roof and leave the shingles be sure your roof is stripped with 1x4's then put on the metal. applying the metal directly on top of shingles will void your warranty. right now metal roofing isn't a whole lot more than shingles, and will last more than a lifetime.

virgil

metal roof

i thought about a metal roof when i had my house roofed. the roofer also informed me that every 8 - 10 years visually inspect the screws because the rubber washers will probably have to be replaced. he informed me that the cost would average about $800 per house. well i ended up putting a 30 year shingle on my house.

KDarsey

I plan to go with metal (actually 5V tin ) over shingles. I see a ton of old houses that have tin and still shedding water.
I figure it may cost a little more initially but it should be the last money you ever spend on the roof.

Metal looks good.they now have a life time screw and washer.And shingles are pretty pricy now.

mikeyd499

I put metal on my house when I built it about 8 years ago. Then the price was about one-third more than shingles. I have not regreted the decision yet. From my experience you don't usually get the full life out of shingles, and I didn't want to have to re-roof this house, ever.

hello

i install both types and would be happy to come out and talk to you free of charge. send me a pm if you are interested. thanks. i have been insulating and roofing for over 10 years.

91xjgawes

I Install metal roofing also, if you need any more information PM me and i will also be glad to assist you.

Everyone that i have talked to is extremely happy they chose metal rather than shingles after its all said and done.

Resica

We went with metal on our cabin and love it!!!!

Attachments

• 7-13-08 012.jpg
    7-13-08 012.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 474
  • 7-13-08 015.jpg
    7-13-08 015.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 470

XTREME HUNTER

I use to inspect metal roofs all over the country. The most important thing is the installation. If you spend a little more you can get a stand n seam metal roof with no exposed fasteners and it WILL last a life time,

even the Long Life Fasteners will need replaced over time due to expansion and contraction of the roof.

I will NOT put a roof on but if you have any tech questions feel free to pm me.

bilgerat

Senior
are the metal roofs loud when it rains hard? I remember when I was a kid at My Grannies house in the mountians, when it rained hard you could hardly hear anything
cause of the metal roof.

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
are the metal roofs loud when it rains hard? I remember when I was a kid at My Grannies house in the mountians, when it rained hard you could hardly hear anything
cause of the metal roof.

You leave the old shingles on, stripping the roof with 1" X 4"s then attach the metal, it is a little louder than with shingles, but nothing like you're talking about.