Problem Muscovy!

DaddyPaul

Alright you duck afficianados, I gots me a duck issue. For some reason a Muscovy has taken up residence at my home. We have a little slip and slide thingamajigger in the backyard so perhaps he thought it was a little duck pond?

No matter, I've grown tired of his company for a couple of reasons. First my beagle who is on a tie out barks incessantly at him but hasn't yet lured him into his reach.

Second and most importantly is, in a word, POOP! He poops about 43 times a day and this afternoon upon arrival at my house I discovered he decided to take a #2 in my Croc flip flops. That pretty much did it for me right there, and the fact that he poops all over the patio, picnic table, tree house and my wife's swing out back.

Reading from FWC's site it appears that so long as I don't violate an animal cruelty law I can "humanely euthanize" him. I have a friend who has one at his pond behind his house and said that this one is welcome to join it. Problem is, thus far I can't catch the dadgum thing.

How do you catch a Muscovy? I've got my cat trap, I mean varmint trap out there right now with a little bread inside but he ain't too keen on going in just yet.

I'm almost ready to whack him at this point, but like a little challenge. What say ye? :cheers:

Nitro

Banned
Catch him in the head with a .22 cal pellet from the air rifle of your choosing. Or your archery equipment.

Find a local Chinese place..... Peking Duck is TAAAASTY!!

slip

Retired Moderator
don't kill it if you don't have too, catching a duck is as hard as catching a greesed pig, trust me i did it every day for a year! (2 ducks). keep trying to trap the fella, get him used to you by throwing bread at him till he gets closer and closer, once he is used to you it'll be easy...but it'll take time. but theres really no need to kill him, there's many many people who would take in a un-wanted muscovy as a pet, and he isn't going to cause your or anyone any harm, other then a little poo.

and yeah i know ducks poo a lot, and its nasty stuff...
i had two pekin ducks liveing in a two-man tent in my liveing room for a while...we had to clean that tent out many times a day. if you think i kiddin im not, i got pic proof too.:bounce:

FYI ducks love watching "Cops":bounce:

BradMyers

Gone but not forgotten
Leg Snare

Make a snare from a real long cord or string (something that won't hurt the legs) and place it on the ground with lots of whatever you have for bait. Cracked corn works well. I would tie the other end of the snare to a long pole, pvc or stick. This will allow you to pull the snare quick with a sweeping motion kinda like a fishing rod hook set. Box, stick, string & bait may also work for ya. Nighttime may give you more options like a net. Good luck, I'm sure it wouldn't mind a new home.

DaddyPaul

Well I caught "Kevin" as the kids called him. I put some bread in a little chick/bunny cage and hooked the door open. I hid behind a big oak tree and waited................................and waited.............................and waited. He circled the cage about 20times trying to get at the bread through the sides.

Finally he went inside to get the bread and I ran screaming like a mad man in hopes that he wouldn't come back out the door before I could get to it. It worked.

Just got back from releasing him to a nice little fish pond with another Muscovy and I think the other one is a girl!

Ducky, ducky, quack, quack......................:bounce:

Nitro

Banned
Cool.

Better ending to the story would have been -quack, quack ...........THWAAAAAACK!! :rofl:

Anywho, you solved your Duck doodoo problem.:D

If you come to the LC in March, I'll feed you some of our famous dutch oven Teal so you will know what "might have been"..:bounce::bounce:

Just got back from releasing him to a nice little fish pond with another Muscovy and I think the other one is a girl!

Doesn't really matter. Muscovies are one of the duck breeds with documented homosexual behavior.

DaddyPaul

Cool.

Better ending to the story would have been -quack, quack ...........THWAAAAAACK!! :rofl:

Anywho, you solved your Duck doodoo problem.:D

If you come to the LC in March, I'll feed you some of our famous dutch oven Teal so you will know what "might have been"..:bounce::bounce:

This morning I slammed him right in the breast with a tennis ball as he sat atop my wife's swing on the patio. I was out there in my boxers thinking, "This bird really has to go". I picked up a tennis ball and my wife says, "Yeah, like you're gonna hit him". :huh:

First pitch..............just a bit outside. Second, just a touch high. By the third pitch I was feeling my old collegiate fireball days. I took the sign (cheese at the knees), wind up, release...............BAM, rolled him off the frame of the swing! :cool:

He recovered and flew off. By lunch he had pooped 16 more times on the patio. I really wish I would have had a big ole rubber blunt tip for my Hoyt, now that would have been funny.

BradMyers

Gone but not forgotten
:rofl::rofl::rofl: Glad you got rid of the problem and Kevin got a new home. Funny thread cause I know your pain.

DaddyPaul

I'm having a little difficulty believing it but Kevin has flown the 5 or so miles through the woods and is back in our kiddy pool in the backyard! :banginghe

I'm going to try to keep the kids from seeing him this morning when their Grandma comes to pick them up.

I have a feeling that this time the story will have a slightly different ending. :shoot::O

Nitro

Banned
I'm having a little difficulty believing it but Kevin has flown the 5 or so miles through the woods and is back in our kiddy pool in the backyard! :banginghe

I'm going to try to keep the kids from seeing him this morning when their Grandma comes to pick them up.

I have a feeling that this time the story will have a slightly different ending. :shoot::O

I want photos this time!!!!!!!!!!:D:D

Either in a roasting pan, or sitting with the kids on the couch watching TV.....that will be the only two scenarios....if not dinner, you will have a new pet soon.:bounce:

Heck, they already named him........

Arrow3

I want photos this time!!!!!!!!!!:D:D

Either in a roasting pan, or sitting with the kids on the couch watching TV.....that will be the only two scenarios....if not dinner, you will have a new pet soon.:bounce:

Heck, they already named him........

I know what you would do to him....:rofl: :rofl:

Jeff Raines

We've got one that hangs out here at the plant.One guy feeds him cracked corn every morning.That duck is standing at his feed spot every morning waiting

chadf

sounds like kevin is about to get whacked......

Take him back and pull some primaries. He won't be flying anywhere.

I mean dude, that duck loves you, how can you have harsh thoughts about it.

DaddyPaul

It ain't looking too good for ole Kevin right now. The kids are due back in about an hour and a half and right now he don't seem to be buying the "hot dog bun in a trap" bit that worked last time.

I have a gal at work who lives about 25 miles away that said she would take him home in the backseat of her car if I could catch him. I told her that if I don't catch him by 5:20 or so, he gets the axe, or .22 or Muzzy or something.

We'll see how it turns out.................................