Effects of hounds on deer

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I see it over and over, lease available, no hounds or small game hunting until after deer season. You ask the land owner, "may I run my dogs on your property, not hunt, just run them?" Your answer, "maybe after deer season."

This field study done on collared deer was an interesting read. It shows that running coon dogs had little effect on the deer and did not move them out of their range.

What a person does with their property or lease is their business and right without question. Just wonder how many make that decision based on feelings or fear and not facts provided by research. What say you folks?

http://www.dnr.sc.gov/wildlife/publications/pdf/raccoonimpact.pdf

Got a couple clubs that love for us to bring the dogs on and run during deer season.they say that gets the big ones out of bed and moving.them beagles get in the thick places where the bigs ones hide.

I used to let a group of coon hunters hunt on some property I leased. I don't think running dogs in a farming area bothers the deer at all.

BUT

It was the hunters, not the dogs, that made me pull the permission. Giving someone permission to hunt coons is not the same as giving them permission 24/7 to look for dogs, ride the roads, start fires in the middle of the roads and leave the remains, leave the gates unlocked and so on.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I used to let a group of coon hunters hunt on some property I leased. I don't think running dogs in a farming area bothers the deer at all.

BUT

It was the hunters, not the dogs, that made me pull the permission. Giving someone permission to hunt coons is not the same as giving them permission 24/7 to look for dogs, ride the roads, start fires in the middle of the roads and leave the remains, leave the gates unlocked and so on.

Sadly, that happens, it hurts us all.

rabbit hunter

yes it does
BUT
WHAT ONE DID, DOESNT MEAN EVERY BODY WOULD DO THAT.
BUT
IF A BULL FROG HAD WINGS /[[;[;;;[[.,.[

coon hunter

i dont think that dogs running effect the deer at all, in fact i have sat there and wached deer walk straight towards where my dogs were running, didnt seem to bother them at all

deramey67

all that it comes down to is a few people mess it up for everybody. And the people who just deer hunt are jealous of those of us that do both find more deer sign then they do. because hound hunters spend more time in the woods then any other sportsmen in the woods. and if deer hunters and houndsmen could work together all would have more game and harvest bigger animals.

GA DAWG

It dont affect em one little bit..I killed a 140"er right where my hound treed the night before! I think they just dont want me scouting at night and killing all the bigger deer:whip: Not one club I'm in can I run a hound one during deer season:( Atleast they let me in..Lots of them want even let you in once they find out your a hound hunter:banginghe

Coon Dog

well

i just got in a club in polk co and president coon hunts but says he dont run them till after deer season right he lives next to property i bet he runs them dont bother me that means i got a club i can run my dogs on:yeah::yeah::banana::banana::banana::banana:

goose buster

I have been shinning a tree before and look over and had deer standing less than 50 yds away watching us numerous times.I had some turkey hunters last year tell me the coon hunters had run the turkeys off.I have never seen a turkey on the ground at night.These folks that blam hunters with dogs are trying to blam someone else for their short comings.To bad ignorance is not painful.

dirtroad

Gone But Not Forgotten
One of my best places to bow hunt is "The Daddy Rabbit Kennel".Kill a good deer every year and get to hear alot of good rabbit races also.Come on Sept.:clap::clap:

CAL

I have done about every kind of "dog hunting" there is and probably some folks never heard of.I have never seen where dogs bothered the deer even when we hunted deer with dogs!As far as coon hunters go,I never had a problem with coon hunters either.It is called a perfect understanding,have this and there is no problems!Wish I was able to follow a good pack of dogs like we once had many years ago.

I'll say this,a hunter who has never experienced a good pack of squealer mouth dogs in a deep hollow on a cold morning doing there job has missed something in life.Only a true "dog hunter" knows what I am talking about,especially when the cold chills come over ya.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I'll say this,a hunter who has never experienced a good pack of squealer mouth dogs in a deep hollow on a cold morning doing there job has missed something in life.Only a true "dog hunter" knows what I am talking about,especially when the cold chills come over ya.

You nailed it Cal! Your welcome to go with me and mine when the crisp frost shines! Any time sir!

hawgrider1200

The fellers I hunt with were talkin about having someone come and get rid of some of the coons none of us coonhunt.

GA DAWG

The fellers I hunt with were talkin about having someone come and get rid of some of the coons none of us coonhunt.
Plenty of coon hunters on here will be willing..I'll come if its not to far..Wheres the land?

jmfdakaniterider2

Pm us at the Blue Dog Mafia we can make the trip north::gone:

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
If you have pesky rabbits eating your deer browse that can be handled as well. :shoot::shoot::shoot: