Used camper values

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I have been comparing used campers for a while now considering buying one for occasional spring/summer use and WMA hunting .

I have been looking at this site for values
http://www.nadaguides.com/SectionHome.aspx?LI=1-28-0-5000-502-579-50251&l=1&w=25&p=0&f=5602

However, it appears that the value calculated at this site is always much lower than the asking price on campers offered here, Craigslist, etc., usually only 30-50% of the asking price. I know everyone prices an item offered up somewhat to have some "haggling" room. But not usually the percentage of difference I am seeing by using this site.

Is there a better site for value comparison, or are used campers just not worth what people are asking?

wvdawg

Staff member
I look at rv dealer listings (used) to get a feel for it. I think the NADA guide is what you can expect them to offer on a trade-in (usually low ball). I tried to make a deal last year on my four year old pop-up trade in - they offered me 1300 - the 1 year old A/C unit was worth at least 700 and I figured the whole outfit was at least worth 3000 reasonably. I'd say somewhere between dealer listings and NADA value is more realistic. Good luck! I've been watching for a deal too!

RVGuy

RV dealers are in the same business as car dealers. Buy at wholesale-sell at retail. However, the market is soft right now, there are alot of left over 08's that can be bought at dealer invoice or in alot of cases below. Used units whether dealer or individual are hot items. But still there are great deals out there to be had. Unless you are paying cash, the dealer is probably the best way to go since you can get financing, extended warranties, and pre-delivery inspections done. It's all how you work the deal. If you bring at trade don't expect to get full retail for yours and pay wholesale for the dealers. In any aspect, always have the owner operate all the systems, make sure the waterheater heats on lp and electric, make sure the frige is cold when you get there, operate slides, awnings, dash a/c, over head a/c's, and generator. Check for soft spots as mentioned previously, and check the roof for seams being sealed and vent lids and sky lights working. if ti has a satellite system on it, make sure it works(make the owner show you it picks up). Hope this helps.

marknga

GONetwork Member
The NADAguides is just that a guide. When we (I'm a business manager at a RV Dealership) go to appraise a value it is the NADA book that we use as a guide for value. The NADA book is also the source that banks use for values. That being said the only thing that limits what an individual can sell a RV (or anything for that matter) is what someone is willing to pay for it.

You may find a camper that has been garaged kept, well maintained " a cream puff" and it surely worth more than the NADA average and you may find a late model camper that has been used and abused that ain't worth a fraction of the published value.

RV Guy gave you some good advice. If I can be of any assistance shoot me a pm.

Mark