Rape Advice

Timberman

This is my first time planting rape, And I only did because Woody talked me into it. :) I checked around and Coopers Seed had the best price and even delivered the seed to my doorstep. It is planted in good limed soil with plenty of fertilizer. The water bottle is 8.5 inches tall. It was planted sept 21. Is this about right for 30 day old rape? ::huh: One more question, can you eat this stuff? It's in the same family as turnips and such, right?

Last edited:

Woody

Founder - Gone but not forgotten.
Timber -- that is exceptional.

Looks like you're in fine shape and all you need now is a couple of frosts.

Makes me sick!!!! ---- floods killed all my Rape and there isn't time to replant. :D

Gadget

Yeah you can eat it, the guys that work the farm ask to pick our rape all the time.

You plot looks really good, the deer just started eating ours last week. Remember you can only plant rape as a single crop for two years because of diseases, a type of mold is what i've seen. This doesn't happen near as often if you plant it mixed with other seeds.

rip18

Yep

Tender leaves in salads & bigger leaves boiled with a big old hunk of meat. Crunchy corn pones, mmmm. Makes me hungry just thinking about it...

E

early riser

Timberman!

WHAT A RAPE FIELD! N-I-C-E![/SIZE]

Don't get discouraged if it doesn't look like they are eating it right away. Once the frosts bring up the sugars in the plants they should be all over it if they like it anywhere as much as the deer on Crabapple DO!

I posted a couple pictures below to give you an idea of before and after of our last years Crabapple rape field. Before long you will walk out to check the field and they will be nothing left but the stems.

Last year they hit our rape so hard they wore it down to the bare mud in places.

Sorry...., Pictures have since been removed.

early riser

E

early riser

Here's an after shot, once they begain to really EAT on Crabapples rape plot.

You got one more kind of a rape field and you will be amazed at how much food you will supply your herd!

Sorry...., Pictures have since been removed.

early riser

Timberman

Makes me hungry just thinking about it...

Me too. Every time I see it I think man that stuff looks like it'd be good! I'm dying for a mess of greens so I believe I'll cook me up a batch.

That looks good ER. So far they have not ate a bit of it. I'm guessing when it gets right they'll be all over it. Kinda like peas when they won't eat them then when you check 2 days later and they're gone. :) I can't wait!

GAGE

GONetwork Member
Sweet!

That looks great! How big is that field! The deer in Elbert county love the stuff!

Model70

Awesome Plot

That s the best looking rape plot I have seen. I have planted it for years.. When it does start to frost, don't leave that plot !!!!!! I hung my cam-trakker on the rape plot, and got pix of 4 bucks, The big 8pt was coming into the rape plot at no more than 5 minute difference on 3 trips... They wiped it out in a week. Did not leave the stems !!!!!!

Killdee

BTW What did you fertilize with and how much per acre,also how many #s of seed did you plant and your cover method.I have good luck with rape but that plot is exceptional.I would like to employ your methods if different to improve my plots.
Killdee

Timberman

what I did

First I picked a field that had good soil. I had soil tested it back in 98 and it called for 2 tons/acre lime so I put that out. From then til now it had been cut for hay and no tilled every fall in wheat, rye, and either arrowleaf or crimson clover, so it had legumes on it regularly to further build the soil. This year I disced it up very good. I applied 500#/acre triple 17 and then drug the fertilizer in with 2 boxsprings tied together behind a 4 wheeler. Then I overseeded the rape at 50#/acre, using another couple bags of fertilizer to thin the seed out so I could spread it evenly. That was it. :)

The whole field is about 6 acres. I figure 2.5 in rape and the rest in oats/wheat. I did not mix the 2 crops. I've always planted oats/wheat with a little clover thrown in sometimes so I wanted to see a side by side comparison of the usage. I am gonna put some wire circles out in the next week or so. :)

leoparddog

man that's a nice field of rape!

When it gets frosty, you'll be able to smell it in your stand and the deer will too!

I hadn't heard of not planting it too many yrs in a row, we'll have to keep that in mind.

50#/acre! :speechles Goodness, we usually mix the rape in with other seed. Its so small a seed that a little goes a long way.

The deer eat ours down to the roots and something then will even dig up and eat the roots.

bilgerat

Senior
Too Late?

::huh: IS IT TOO LATE TO PLANT RAPE NOW? IM GOING BY COOPERS ON THE WAY TO CAMP THIS FRIDAY IF ITS NOT TOO LATE!

Timberman

50#/acre! Goodness, we usually mix the rape in with other seed. Its so small a seed that a little goes a long way.

That was per Woody's instructions. He also advised to not mix it with anything else. I did what he said. Wednesday I picked 2 paper grocery bags full of it and we ate it at bear camp. Just like turnips or collards. That pic is over 2 weeks old, and with this warm weather, it looks nothing like that now. You nearly have to wade through it. Just waiting on the acorns to dry up and cold weather to get here. :shoot:

Reminex

Hey guys I wanted to say Rape is my favorite food flot seed. Like timberman said i try not to mix it but I usually strip the field with oats or wheat or do 1/2 and 1/2. Because deer don't seem to graze it until it's mature. Biggest key for me and food plots is having a variety. But on my big field its nothing but rape and i don't hunt it until the rut anyway and its good to eat by mid november. My experience is as long as its mature. (40-50 days) Deer began to demolish it. Whether its frosted or not. Anyway The recomended planting rate is 5-10lbs. per acre but at $33 for a 50lb. sack you can't go wrong. I won't plant over 25 lbs an acre.