45ACP for Deer/Hog?

blackbear

So if the 45ACP is a real man stopper round,dont you think it will stop deer/Hog as well under 50yrds.& if it will be acceptable to use this round ....which bullet will be the best?Hornady XTP?Anyone ever use it to harvest a deer or hog?

R

redneckcamo

send capt stan a pm he has some pics of his hunt with a XD45 on a hog ...... thats the best example I can think of !!!

tv_racin_fan

IF you can consistently hit the bottom of a coke can at 50 yards I say go for it. I am of the opinion that if the 9mm 40 or 45 isn't good enough for hunting even deer at 50 yards then it can't be good enough for my wife to carry to defend herself with. I happen to believe IF you do your part the bullet from either will get the job done. The comparison chart I have seen shows a 124grn JHP and a 147grn JHP out of a 9mm and 165 and 180grn JHPs out of the 40 and the 230 grn JHP from the 45 at almost exactly the same penetration in ballistics gel, with the larger slower rounds pentrating just a tad more than the smaller faster rounds (something to be said about momentum). I personally wouldn't attempt to kill a deer or hog out past 25 but that is mainly because I can't reliably hit the bottom of a coke can at that distance (yet). Now that said if you really want to get into handgun hunting I would get something else (I happen to have a 6in 357 myself and a couple of cap n ball revolvers that I intend to try to get deer with) but if that is all you have and you can shoot well enough it should do the job.

KLR650

I agree with what tv said if you can do the coke can thing go for it. With std defensive handgun cartridges (.38/357, .40, 10mm, .45) I personaly would shy away from HP ammo and stick with JSP or cast boolits.

HP ammo is designed to not over peretrate in an urban/indoor environment and dump all its energy into the target. One shot instant stops are not the norm and a deer can run a heck of alot further than a human in the 15-60seconds it takes to bleed out. A through and through punch leaves a better blood trail

Craig Knight

personally for myself I wouldnt ever think about trying to use a 45 acp on hogs or deer unless it was at arms length, anything less than a full bore 10mm load or somewhat hot 357 mag load in a handgun is just not enough in my opinion. But like I said thats MY opinion, if you want to try it then go for it.

257 roberts

personally for myself I wouldnt ever think about trying to use a 45 acp on hogs or deer unless it was at arms length, anything less than a full bore 10mm load or somewhat hot 357 mag load in a handgun is just not enough in my opinion. But like I said thats MY opinion, if you want to try it then go for it.

my opinion too.

dtala

Craig hit it right.

I wouldn't use a 45 unless I had nothing else and NEEDED to kill a deer...and then I'd get close.

I've shot deer with a 357mag, a 40S&W and a 45 auto...and don't consider any of them a deer calibre.

I used a 41mag for a number of years and found it to be a good killer on deer. Start there and go up...:shoot:

troy

tv_racin_fan

So, you guys that wont shoot a deer or hog with a 45 then what round is it I need to get for the wife to carry since a 45 aint good enough???

Truegiant

proof is in the pictures. I have hog hunted with my 5" 1911 .45acp. I have never had a problem. I am a firm believer that shot placement is key.

tv_racin_fan

I dont own a 45 just 10mm's ;)

Nice dodge of the question there bud.

I'll ask it again. Since in your opinion the 45 isn't good enough for the wife to carry what do you suggest I get for her?

redneck, I just put together a 50 cal cap n ball handgun complete with belt hook, you reckon that thing would do the job? I'm thinkin it might be a bit hard to hold onto with 50grns FFFg pushin a 385 grn buffalo bullet myself...

Another guy on another thread asked which of his rifles should he hunt with and some folks told him they wouldn't do the job and suggested he spend money he doesn't have on something else when of the rifles he had everyone ( except the 22) could do the job so long as the shooter keeps in mind his limitations and the limitations of the round he is shooting. One guy even suggested that he wouldn't shoot deer at 250+ yards with a 357 and claimed that he watched deer play at 600 and wouldn't shoot it. Funny thing is he was the only one mentioning shooting deer at 250+ with a 357... Oh and the round the people suggested the guy get a new rifle in is in reality no better than the rifle he already has, well that is unless you really think a 30-06 can kill deer in GA but a 308 can't...

Mike those are nice deer ya got there.

R

redneckcamo

I have an XD45 TACITICOOL that I tote deer huntin for close range shots an have all the faith in the world that it will geterdone inside 25yds .... which is exactly where I plan on usin it when needed ......

an as for the other thread tv racin is talkin bout ....... sks an ak in 7.62x39 with a psp will kill anything in this state graveyard dead

I also agree ...... SHOT PLACEMENT IS KING !!!

iowa-boy

i shoot the hornadays out of my xd 45 and muzzeloader. 200 gr hp for home defense and concealed carry and 240 hp when i go out to the lease. my muzzeloader has 180 gr. hornadays. never had a problem with the expansion or stopping power on either animal. :shoot:

Craig Knight

Nice dodge of the question there bud.

I'll ask it again. Since in your opinion the 45 isn't good enough for the wife to carry what do you suggest I get for her?

I didnt dodge the question I said I dont own ANY 45 ACP guns, I know its a good round to some but my personal choice is and always will be the 10mm. If your wife can handle the recoil from the 10mm try the compact Glock for a carry weapon, thats what most women dont like about the 10mm is the recoil. Start out with some loads that equal out to a 40 S&W and let her work her way up to what ever she is comfortable with. If she doesnt have a problem with the recoil then stuff it full of some full bore Double Tap or Buffalo Bore rounds and let'em eat.

rdhood

So if the 45ACP is a real man stopper round,dont you think it will stop deer/Hog as well under 50yrds.& if it will be acceptable to use this round ....which bullet will be the best?Hornady XTP?Anyone ever use it to harvest a deer or hog?

It's a legitimate question. I don't know why people jump in with their own preferred caliber, or say "No" with no real explanation other than "it's just not enough".

Frankly, it is perfectly fine at 25 yards. At 50 yards, I could hit a 9 inch circle with my 1911. Thus, its not good enough in MY hands at 50 yards, but packs more than enough wallop for a deer for those that can hit. Are there better calibers? YES, but the OP didn't ask about those. He asked about the .45 ACP.

Ballistics wise, its is as accurate as other rounds at 50 yards ( see trajectory table )

There are plenty of folks on the net that claimed to have killed deer under 50 yds with 45ACP. People shoot what they have. If there is overwhelming evidence of 45ACP NOT doing the job, bring it on.

mr4shootin

IF you can consistently hit the bottom of a coke can at 50 yards I say go for it. I am of the opinion that if the 9mm 40 or 45 isn't good enough for hunting even deer at 50 yards then it can't be good enough for my wife to carry to defend herself with. I happen to believe IF you do your part the bullet from either will get the job done. The comparison chart I have seen shows a 124grn JHP and a 147grn JHP out of a 9mm and 165 and 180grn JHPs out of the 40 and the 230 grn JHP from the 45 at almost exactly the same penetration in ballistics gel, with the larger slower rounds pentrating just a tad more than the smaller faster rounds (something to be said about momentum). I personally wouldn't attempt to kill a deer or hog out past 25 but that is mainly because I can't reliably hit the bottom of a coke can at that distance (yet). Now that said if you really want to get into handgun hunting I would get something else (I happen to have a 6in 357 myself and a couple of cap n ball revolvers that I intend to try to get deer with) but if that is all you have and you can shoot well enough it should do the job.

I wonder how many can't hit the bottom of a coke can at 50 yards with their rifle.Or hunt with rifles that are not capable of grouping well enough to go in the bottom of a coke can at 50 yards.:eek::huh::bounce:

tv_racin_fan

Ok so in your opinion only the 10mm and larger is worthy of someone carrying. And you did dodge the question since you didn't suggest anything for my wife.

I do not happen to agree. And I find it interesting that a 10mm is good enough and yet the 357 which developes more energy isn't... to each his own I suppose.