which tent?

hoochfisher

Banned
i'm buying a tent for an upcoming trip and cant decide which one.

i have been seriously considering this one:
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Produc...=2&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

but cant decide if i should or not.
target has the same tent, slightly differant in color(rain fly) for $139

i like how the floor material(tarp like) comes up the sides some, which i know helps keep it dry as i have used one like this before.

it is just my wife and i most of the time, but we have a friend that goes with us pretty often. it seems biig enough for what we will put in it: a queen air bed, two big duffle bags and two med/lg rubbermaid totes.

tell me what yall think about it. anybody have one?

and also, can anybody recommend a good one about the same size for $150 or less?

thanks yall,
hooch

allenww

tent

If I needed that much room, and didn't have to carry it far,
that's the tent I would buy. Tub floor Colemans are hard to beat for auto camping.

wa

KDarsey

That may work. just remember that the way the walls 'slant' it makes the air bed take up more room. (especially if it is one that sets up about knee-hi)
Mine is a 9 X 12 and we have lots of room untill we inflate that queen size air then the tent shrinks. Still good for two people though. Probably be better with a full instead of a queen.

hoochfisher

Banned
i know the walls are slanted in it. all dome tents are. so i thought about that when decideing on a dome style.

but the matress we have is 8 inches tall. and thats if we use it! we have slept on an air matress before when visiting family in W.V. and ended up in the floor because it was uncomfortable as all get out. so there is no guarentee we will use it anyhow.

i was looking for a 10x8, 9x10 or 10x10 and the wife said she didnt think they were big enough for us AND our stuff, so i'm looking for one the size in the link or a bit bigger.

dont care if i have to buy a 20x20, i'm just glad i finaly talked her into going at all!

KDarsey

i know the walls are slanted in it. all dome tents are. so i thought about that when decideing on a dome style.

but the matress we have is 8 inches tall. and thats if we use it! we have slept on an air matress before when visiting family in W.V. and ended up in the floor because it was uncomfortable as all get out. so there is no guarentee we will use it anyhow.

i was looking for a 10x8, 9x10 or 10x10 and the wife said she didnt think they were big enough for us AND our stuff, so i'm looking for one the size in the link or a bit bigger.

dont care if i have to buy a 20x20, i'm just glad i finaly talked her into going at all!

I'm with you on the comfort thing. We have got to find something else. That air mattress kills me. We camp to get away , relax and rest....don't get no rest with that thing.
I didn't mean to imply that you didn't know about the walls. It was just kind of a surprise to me how much room the air mattress took up.

hoochfisher

Banned
I didn't mean to imply that you didn't know about the walls. It was just kind of a surprise to me how much room the air mattress took up.

i know, and i didnt mean for my reply to make either of us condescending to one another. i had just woke up and didnt really think about how sounded, so, sorry about that.

wierd thing about the air matresses is, the queen size air bed we have is actaully the same size as our king size "real" bed. i let my sister use it when she had some friends at her house, and i set it up and laid it on her bed so it wasnt laying in the floor to get walked all over, and it hung off her queen size by 8-9 inches?

so i took it home and filled it up, and set it on top of my king size.
it is the exact same size! it says queen on the box though. even my king sheets fit it? all except for the hieght of course. the air mat is 8 inches tall and our real matress is 21 tall.
the width and length fit perfect, but the height of my sheets swallow it whole!

Nimrod71

As and old time camper and one that has lived in the open for weeks at a time any tent can be a big help. My experience has led me to give this advice: Buy what you want, don't worry about the cost or the size. Money is only paper and you will have some more next week. As for size the bigger the better, you are not carrying it on your back. The bed is really important, I bought a good 4 inch thick foam mattress and order a canvas cover for it from Panther Primitive. Oh by he way if you really want to camp, get a canvas tent. They cost more but they are worth it. You will also stand out in the campground. Check out Cabelas or Montana Tent.

buckaroo279

Do not go for the cheapest on the tent. I spent 24 yrs in military and trust me "LOWEST BIDDER" is not the greatest thing. I always look for a tent that can withstand the elements. I camp about 10 times a year and a canvas tent is the best but only if you are planning to spend a lot of time in it. A good general tent for 3 or 4 time a year camping is a Coleman or Ozark. I add a tarp over my tent sometimes when I know the rain is going to be heavy. Also a tarp on the ground close to the same size as your tent will prevent any seaping thru the floor of the tent.

hoochfisher

Banned
thanks for the imput everyone. i went with a colman bayside 8. $119 on sale.

it has the tarp style floor that wraps up the side about 8", keeping the seams off the ground. and the coleman weathertec weather system. gaurenteed to stay dry. and a hinged door which is extra nice! that is the greatest improvement they could have ever made imo! those zipper doors are a pain in the you know what!

got it home, set it up, and left it for a few days. it poured for 1 day and night. the next morning i went out to inspect it, and only found about a half cup of water in one corner that was on a slope in the yard. i was very happy that was all the water that got in after that much rain fall.

i sealed all the seems with the coleman seam seal, and treated the entire tent in camp dry, let it cure, and took down the tent.

it's in the garage ready to go. and now i know it will be ready fro whatever mother nature throws at it during our trip the first week of september!

for anyone interested in bying a tent soon, this is what i got:

http://www.target.com/Coleman-Baysi...ex&frombrowse=0&index=target&rh=k:tent&page=1