Why only few N. GA WMA Bear\Deer dates

Bucknut

What is with the N. GA WMA's...There's very few open Bear\Deer dates and most are late season dates...All the WMA's middle to south GA seem to be open most of the season........Seems due to my luck, I am scheduled to work most of the northern WMA open dates....

Slasher

Its murphy...

This year, you probably know just the spot to get on a nice bear....

I'm like that with dove shoots... when I have time to go... I am unable to find a good one... When I don't have the time, I know of plenty a places where everyone limits out...
:huh:

Toffy

That would be a good question for

That would be a good question for a Sportsman Senator. Do you knmow who your sportsman senator is? And what od you think about DNR proposing to close all the Mountain WMAs?

Bucknut

Good point!! I'll seek him\her out and send an email or letter off to him\her....

BTW, I read that article about the DNR and Northern WMA's.... :banginghe I cannot possibly comprehend their thought process and how it applies to the management of natural resources.....It really burned me up when I read about their "misuse" of license fees!!

S

spraggins

i don't agree w/ a lot of dnr's doings. if they would close the mtn wma's it would help me alot. i would actually get to hunt some of it, then, assuming it would remain nat'l forest. they might as well ,because i see the state doing slim to no mgt work on these mtn areas. the food plots on most areas are nonexistent or a joke. and i'm not just basing this on this fall's drought. even if they close up the wma's ,i bet the dnr will still go on their harassment patrols up there.

Bucknut

Ooooh, good point....Open public forest land would actually be a good thing.....Especially considering they can't manage to manage anything anyways....Thanks for the perspective....

Dana Young

i don't want to see them open all season they can't stand the pressure, thats the reason they are only open part of the season this is the mtns not south ga, granted there are some area's that could use some improvment, most areas have good fields planted although not all of them are planted every year. some of the wma's have been ruined by the bear population and some have been ruined by users but by far i look at the wma's as a special treat when it comes time to hunt them. and i usually get a deer off these mtn wma's. there is plenty of forest service land avaiable to hunt in the mtns while there is less in the south that is why the southern wma's are possibly open all year. i hope they keep them the way they are. if you will look ahead to the hunts maybe you could schedule vac time to hunt them. thats what i do.
dana

Bucknut

Man, I'm learning alot here....Great points!!! I'm still searching for that open Forest land not in a WMA and not privately owned though....

Dana Young

buck nut get yourself a forest service map and you should be able to find plenty of land to hunt. also while you are riding through the mtns look for forest service rds and national forest land boundery markers.
dana

Bucknut

That is what I was looking for..How to discern the difference between public and private land, because "Trespassing" signs are scarce...Last thing I want is to trapse through someones land...

I have the Gazetter with Topo's but it does a lousy job of distinguishing between WMA's and Forest land....

Where or how do I obtain the the forest service land map???

BTW, I appreciate everyones input and help.....

Dana Young

You Might Try The Us Forest Service. I Get Mine Info At Our Fire Dept Off The Maps We Have From The Forest Service. I Already Know Most Of The Areas Around Lumpkin ,white, Towns, And Fannin Counties.
Dana

Bucknut

Kewl, yep, just placed an order for Cherokee and Cohutta NFS maps online thru the NFS storefront...Which is apparantly closing their online store Nov. 30th....

Thanks for the info.....Now all I have to do is pick a spot, plant my buttt and drop a deer..... :cheers:

Dana Young

Good Luck Let Me Know How It Goes. I Am Finding Most Of The Sign On Eastern Facing Ridges In The White Oaks.
Dana