Stipped Hackle Quills?

zekekb

I want to make a segmented body out of quills but I need a little guidance.
What quills work best? Should I try to strip and dye hackles? Where should I look for the best deals on stripped quills?

Thanks

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
What size hook are you using. If 12 or smaller why not use biots? You can use various stripped guills but I would moisten them good first. Stripped Peacock Herl works fair too.

zekekb

Goose or Turkey biots? I want to tie a BWO quill body in size 18. What do you think would work best?

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Goose or Turkey biots? I want to tie a BWO quill body in size 18. What do you think would work best?

Goose will probably be big enough for an 18.Maybe even duck or pheasant.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Yeah I tied a parachute variation of the Willow Fly last nite. Uh ,I ain't post'n a pic nor passing it on to anyone.:O I usually tie a pretty fair para fly but that one last night was not a good effort.

Outdooralm

Yeah I tied a parachute variation of the Willow Fly last nite. Uh ,I ain't post'n a pic nor passing it on to anyone.:O I usually tie a pretty fair para fly but that one last night was not a good effort.

This is the exact reason why I am tying a Griffiths gnat. :D

Tightliner

I want to make a segmented body out of quills but I need a little guidance.
What quills work best? Should I try to strip and dye hackles? Where should I look for the best deals on stripped quills?

Thanks

I've seen quills out there pre-strippes and pre-dyed, in fact I have some at home. I'll try to get the name tonight and pass them along. FWIW, soak them thoroughly or they will sread on you when U wrap them. They also have a very short life expectancy, they break and unwind easily when unhooking them from the fish. But they DO look good :D ! Try some hair from the tail/mane of a horse (U pick the color), It is a little more durable and makes a good looking segmented body ;).

Later..................................................