Want to start trapping yotes

welsh0311

What equipment do I need to start trapping yotes? I need specifics. Like specific kind of trap and lures. Any website links would be helpful. And what is this waxing of the traps? What does that mean? PM if you can help. Just wanted to try trapping some yotes. Thanks in advance!

famlytraprz

yotes

Trapperman.com will help u with the basic sets and as far as equipment, any 1.75 size trap will catch n hold coyotes. I prefer mb 550's from the minnesota trap co., they are a little more expensive than ur foreign made traps but they r far better. As far as catchin yotes, good luck, coyotes r very difficult 2 catch. U might want 2 find an experienced trapper and see if they will help u, it will save u years of frustration.

Delane01

Coyotes are really no more difficult to catch than any other fur bearer. You just need to know how. There are several good videos and books available on the subject. Fur-Fish-Game magazine has several to choose from. The thing to know about coyotes is the territory they cover is vast and usually takes about seven days to make a circle so don't give up if you haven't caught anything in the first few days. When placing a trap for the coyote, place the pan 9 inches from the dirt hole, scent stick, post, or trail set step item. Waxing helps the trap fire faster and lessens rusting during ground placement. Go to the upcoming Buck-arama in Atlanta or Perry and speak with the people their representing the Georgia Trappers Association or contact them directly on the web. They are helpful people willing to give advice and may know of an experienced trapper in your area that can mentor you.

Davexx1

Hands on experience under the watchful eye and instruction from an expert has always been the best teacher regardless of what you were trying to learn.

Find an experienced expert coyote trapper that is willing to help you, buy him dinner(s) or whatever, and let him teach the art. You will learn better and quicker with help.

Good luck.

Dave

famlytraprz

Coyotes are really no more difficult to catch than any other fur bearer. You just need to know how. There are several good videos and books available on the subject. Fur-Fish-Game magazine has several to choose from. The thing to know about coyotes is the territory they cover is vast and usually takes about seven days to make a circle so don't give up if you haven't caught anything in the first few days. When placing a trap for the coyote, place the pan 9 inches from the dirt hole, scent stick, post, or trail set step item. Waxing helps the trap fire faster and lessens rusting during ground placement. Go to the upcoming Buck-arama in Atlanta or Perry and speak with the people their representing the Georgia Trappers Association or contact them directly on the web. They are helpful people willing to give advice and may know of an experienced trapper in your area that can mentor you.
I wuz at the buckarama with the trap assoc giving advice on coyotes. They r difficult 2 catch, let me know if u need some help!

iowa-boy

Yea by all means find a experienced trapper who has trapped them before. i have trapped them in iowa for 15 years and when i moved down here it was a different experience. if you dont want to ask for the help, there are alot of videos that will help you. Minnesota trap line, funkes trap supply and more are all good trapp suppliers to find video and books if you go it on your own. good luck.

Doug B.

If I can catch coyotes then they must not be too smart. They are a little different than most other animals so I guess the are pretty smart. But once you kinda get the hang of it they seem to be kinda predictable. Any other opinions? Just resurrecting an old thread just to have something to discuss in the off season.

willie1971

check out fntpost.com for supplies. i'd get a dozen bridger #3 dogless, stakes, a few lures (a beaver castor and canine gland for sure) and a jar of bait (such as hiawatha valley mouse) and fox urine. when i started, i bought so much extra stuff (like buying too many fishing lures). keep it simple, set traps on sign, and watch a lot of youtube videos for ideas. my best coyote year was using old bacon that i let go bad in the fridge (by mistake of course). bait and lure is not nearly as important as well blended traps set on sign.

buckpasser

If I can catch coyotes then they must not be too smart. They are a little different than most other animals so I guess the are pretty smart. But once you kinda get the hang of it they seem to be kinda predictable. Any other opinions? Just resurrecting an old thread just to have something to discuss in the off season.

From the perspective of a fairly new guy:

I’m “comfortable” in my trapping ability at this point, but obviously they are a difficult animal to trap. It can be especially trying when they aren’t very plentiful. I’ve been at them pretty darn hard since Feb of 2020. If I can locate good sign (tracks going both ways, multiple tracks, fresh scat, or frequent howling) I’m confident I can catch them. Being way out on a five or seven day route sucks. They go by in such a hurry if the wind is wrong or the ants have buried me, they just keep trucking (cell cam) and it’s frustrating waiting on them to come again. I’m going to call you Lazarus.

Last edited:

Doug B.

From the perspective of a fairly new guy:

I’m “comfortable” in my trapping ability at this point, but obviously they are a difficult animal to trap. It can be especially trying when they aren’t very plentiful. I’ve been at them pretty darn hard since Feb of 2020. If I can locate good sign (tracks going both ways, multiple tracks, fresh scat, or frequent howling) I’m confident I can catch them. Being way out on a five or seven day route sucks. They go by in such a hurry if the wind is wrong or the ants have buried me, they just keep trucking (cell cam) and it’s frustrating waiting on them to come again. I’m going to call you Lazarus.
You have come a long way. I remember all your questions and wanting to know what to do. That seems like just a short time ago. You have come on and proved to be a great coyote and beaver trapper! I guess my point is that if that is what you are seeking then it is obtainable. Are you the best coyote trapper that there is? I don't know. I would put you up against anybody. Am I the best coyote trapper? Absolutely not! But if I can catch one every once in a while, anybody should be able to.

Doug B.

[QUOTE="buckpasser, post: 12881549, I’m going to call you Lazarus.[/QUOTE]
I will humbly try to live up to that name. Don't be surprised if I resurrect other threads just to keep trapping topics going here. I hope that is not a nuisance to anyone.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
[QUOTE="buckpasser, post: 12881549, I’m going to call you Lazarus.
I will humbly try to live up to that name. Don't be surprised if I resurrect other threads just to keep trapping topics going here. I hope that is not a nuisance to anyone.[/QUOTE]
Not at all , I enjoyed reading it , almost commented to the op .

antharper

Staff member
I recently got humbled big time , set on some of the best coyote sign and the most I’ve ever seen. Had 6 traps completely dug up in the first night. I believe it was my pan covers they were smelling , I used some screen from Home Depot . I washed it with water and hung it outside for a few days . After they dug them up they took the pan cover with them lol . I did catch one but nothing like I should have. I’m regrouping and will be back 389C43C1-BF40-4DCB-B265-3D18894E5B06.jpeg

Doug B.

I recently got humbled big time , set on some of the best coyote sign and the most I’ve ever seen. Had 6 traps completely dug up in the first night. I believe it was my pan covers they were smelling , I used some screen from Home Depot . I washed it with water and hung it outside for a few days . After they dug them up they took the pan cover with them lol . I did catch one but nothing like I should have. I’m regrouping and will be back View attachment 1087088
Wow. Well at least that was a lesson that wasn't hard to read or understand. Catch em up ant!!!!

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I am in full agreement with keeping the talk going! Go, Laz...Go, Laz!!

It's funny. I wanted the coyotes gone from my stomping grounds, and now I am wishing for some new sign...Even Digger, my nemesis, has disappeared.

I miss him.

buckpasser

[QUOTE="buckpasser, post: 12881549, I’m going to call you Lazarus.
I will humbly try to live up to that name. Don't be surprised if I resurrect other threads just to keep trapping topics going here. I hope that is not a nuisance to anyone.[/QUOTE]

It was certainly typed in fun. I wish this forum was more busy too. Oh, and thank you for the kind words!

antharper

Staff member
I am in full agreement with keeping the talk going! Go, Laz...Go, Laz!!

It's funny. I wanted the coyotes gone from my stomping grounds, and now I am wishing for some new sign...Even Digger, my nemesis, has disappeared.

I miss him.
If you are just looking to cure your fever I’ve found that a lot of land owners are quick to say yes to trapping . Especially livestock farmers .