Fly Fishing and Camping

JaneDeere

I'm looking for a great fly fishing place, either in North GA or not too far into NC or maybe TN, where I can plan a camping weekend. I just bought a 26' camper, and I'm looking for somewhere to go for a weekend.

huntfish

I'm looking for a great fly fishing place, either in North GA or not too far into NC or maybe TN, where I can plan a camping weekend. I just bought a 26' camper, and I'm looking for somewhere to go for a weekend.
Unicoi State Park is a great base camp...Upper Smiths, Dukes, Hooch are the main ones.....There are plenty of other creeks nearby....

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Unicoi is good and so is Moccasin Creek SP. In NC you have Fontana Village adjacent to the NC side of The Smokies and also near the Nantahala river.

JaneDeere

I'm wanting to fish from the camp area... are any of these such? Moccasin Creek? I will check all of these out, guys. Thanks!

shakey gizzard

If you want to camp where you fish checkout Chattahoochee WMA! Very limited with a flyrod though.;)

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
If you want to camp where you fish checkout Chattahoochee WMA! Very limited with a flyrod though.;)

I fly fish there several times a year with no problems.

JaneDeere

Oh, I thought you had meant not enough room for good casting!
So, at Chatt. WMA, there's RV camping?

shakey gizzard

Idid! Personally I wouldnt. It is a narrow rd up a mountain with many switchbacks and no hookups. Better with a tent. But I have caught a 7lb rainbow there!

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Oh, I thought you had meant not enough room for good casting!
So, at Chatt. WMA, there's RV camping?

No not on the stream.
Another spot is up on Lake Burton WMA on Wildcat Creek. There is only water in those campsites and only at a central location but RV's are there all the time.Need a generator for power. But camping at Moccasin Creek SP it is only a few minutes drive to get to wildcat creek.

TRC

Haul that camper to the Toccoa Valley Campground above Blue Ridge and then hit the Toccoa River below the dam (Tammen Park, Curtis Switch, Horseshoe). No better flyfishing anywhere in GA anytime of the year!!!! Fish a parachute adams on top with a bead head pheasant tail dropper and you will wear em' out.

Tom

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Haul that camper to the Toccoa Valley Campground above Blue Ridge and then hit the Toccoa River below the dam (Tammen Park, Curtis Switch, Horseshoe). No better flyfishing anywhere in GA anytime of the year!!!! Fish a parachute adams on top with a bead head pheasant tail dropper and you will wear em' out.

Tom

:cool:

JaneDeere

Sounds like a great choice, Tom! And thanks for the tips on the fly choices too!

fishndoc

If you want to venture a little farther with your new camper, Deep Creek near Bryson City has a good campground right on the creek, and good fishing for as many miles upstream as you are up to walking - campground may be a little crowded on the weekends this time of year. You might check with the Park Service to see if you can reserve a spot.

JaneDeere

No not on the stream.
Another spot is up on Lake Burton WMA on Wildcat Creek. There is only water in those campsites and only at a central location but RV's are there all the time.Need a generator for power. But camping at Moccasin Creek SP it is only a few minutes drive to get to wildcat creek.

Almost missed seeing this entry! I will definitely check this out. I have a generator, so this might work for me. Thanks!

JaneDeere

If you want to venture a little farther with your new camper, Deep Creek near Bryson City has a good campground right on the creek, and good fishing for as many miles upstream as you are up to walking - campground may be a little crowded on the weekends this time of year. You might check with the Park Service to see if you can reserve a spot.
I checked this place out... looks good! It's only about 2-1/2 hours from me, so not too bad.

fishndoc

I checked this place out... looks good! It's only about 2-1/2 hours from me, so not too bad.

Yea, Deep Creek is one of my favorite streams in the smokies. Don't let the "creek" part fool you - it has more flow than some of our N Ga rivers.
Fishing is usually easy right at the campground (stockers), but you get into wild trout water pretty quickly. Tougher fishing, but it's worth it.

Let us know how you make out, where ever you go.

jigman29

The talullah river in rabun county has a couple of awesome campgrounds that are either forest service or private.They have a well stocked river that flows through them and miles of public water.If you want you can even fish for native rainbows and brook trout in some of the smaller streams.Good luck.