Anyone flinging a 2 hander in these parts?

speechless33759

Was curious to see if anyone was using a 2 handed rod around here. I've just gotten into it for striper fishing and have been truly addicted the first time I've gone out. Now I'm already addicted to flyfishing, but there's something about hauling and shooting a whole bunch of line in a single cast.

Win1917

What's the set up you're using for Stripers?

I've fished DHer's quite a bit but they don't get out too much since I moved to the gulf coast

speechless33759

I'm using a Winston BIIX 14' 8/9 with a 600 skagit head to launch some clousers.

Win...I'll prolly take my dh to the gulf coast for vacation to see if I do any good. I know most of my luck has been on live bait in the ocean, but have done decent with a fly during the morning and at night.

I've actually been thinking about using it on the hooch for some hard to reach places...especially at Buford dam.

James Buice in Atlanta is an accomplished spey caster. He was the travel manager for the Fish Hawk and is now the regional rep for Scott, Cloudveil, and Nautilus, among others.

I have trout-sized spey rods that I've used on the Cumberland and White Rivers. I'm only a mediocre spey caster however. I am hoping to get an 8 weight two hander this fall and I had planned to use it to striper/white bass fish. I'd be interested to know if you've had any luck yet, and where you're fishing, generally.

Best,
Zach

Win1917

Skagit lines are a ton of fun. They're handy when backcast room gets really tight. If you end up doing very much overhead casting with the rod though you might consider using a more conventional shooting head for that.

Hey Zach, I enjoy listening to your podcasts

TopWater94

Skagit lines are a ton of fun. They're handy when backcast room gets really tight. If you end up doing very much overhead casting with the rod though you might consider using a more conventional shooting head for that.

(((Hey Zach, I enjoy listening to your podcasts
)))

Same here.

speechless33759

Hey Zach

Yeah I've been doing really well with it actually. I've been outfishing some livebait fisherman so I feel it's really been helpful. Been catching some stripers most of them were in the 18 to 25 in range on clousers.