possum breaking scent

jmfdakaniterider2

best thing I everheard of doing on breakin a dog from runnin a possum was to build a pen for the dog and on the top of that build a pen for a possum with a mesh floor in it... Catch ya a possum and put your dog in the pen at the same time , let them live together for a few days .. Once the possum relives him self for the amount of time on the dog than your dog will be so sick of the possum he will not wanna chase 1 again

Never done this just heard it from an old timer......

madsnooker89

i dont know if i would want to mess with the dog after that one though

jmfdakaniterider2

Had a buddy that would put his hog dogs in a 55 gallon drum with a fresh deer skin and spin him around for a few min.

Told me every time his dogs came across a deer scent in the woods they would get sick and not run the deer

madsnooker89

well i just went out my back door into the woods and i let my dog go and as soon as i did that he treed a darn possum then it started raining luckly i was by my house

madsnooker89

i really want to break him from possum but i cant figuer out how to

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Pick one:

Attachments

• Shock_Collar.jpg
    Shock_Collar.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 442
  • dogcouch.jpg
    dogcouch.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 473
  • axehandle.jpg
    axehandle.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 399

madsnooker89

the phsychiatrist sounds to expensive, the shocking coller i know is to expensive so i guess im still going to use his leash

deramey67

pet him up when he trees a coon and don't pet him on a opossum. just keep hunting the hair off him

madsnooker89

yeah i diddnt even get in the woods and he tree a possum that was crudy but when i went and got him it started pooring and it diddnt stop all night i waited up till four waiting to hunt and itt never stoped so i went to bed

deramey67

MAMA SAID THEY'D BE NIGHTS LIKE THAT. just keep hunting him and try what i told you it's the easiest way i know. and if a dog is timid it don't make it worse

madsnooker89

yeah he was timid when i first hunted him i use to get on to him but he started to cowerd if i walked up to him so now i take it easy on him i herd poeple tell me to hang him from a tree the spank him with his leash i think he would be scared of me the rest of his life

deramey67

don't do that you'll miss him up.Just remember what the old folks say you can catch more bees with sugar than vinegar. you got alot of time in him just be patient a hard tree dog is gonna tree anything that goes up. I know a few grand nite champs that will tree a opossum sometimes

madsnooker89

yeah he tree one bob cat it was the crazyiest night i ever had thats sun of a gun jumped out of two trees then i hollerd for my dog because i knew what he was after

GA DAWG

Dont worry about yet..Wait till he knows what hes supposed to be teeing!! I just whoop the fire outta mine.. I once heard mine half way treeing when she was a pup..I went in and she had a diller in a hole and a dead possum beside the hole:mad: Well I lit in on her that night..Very next turnout she treed another dang possum..When I got there that time I pretty much broke her of it..She will still tree me about 1 a year:hair:

Murphy

i shoot the possum out and beat the hel l outta them with the possum instead of my hand

X2 and or fry him with the E-collar

adebord30183

i shoot the possum out and beat the hel l outta them with the possum instead of my hand

Best breakin I ever did was with a 40 lb dead posseum behind some chicken houses in Arkansas:rofl: Dog never even tried again.