Tractor advise

Model70

I'm looking to buy a tractor for the club. What size, model would you reccommend. I need to stay under $ 5000.00. I would be using a bush hog and a bush and bog type cutting disc...

Mac

All major Brands, OK

I like Ford, MF just personal pref.

I would go with at least a 45 HP. Those ford 8N and 9N just don't have the power you need. Food plot, deer camp work is rough on a tractor. I am always tearing up something.
Diesel is alot cheaper on fuel and engine life.
Power steering is nice.

My .02.

sgsjr

Banned
Buy one you can get parts for easily: nearby parts man etc. Ford and MF are probably going to be the cheapest. Stay away from the older Internationls, some of the parts can no longer be found.

I just bought a John Deere 5320 with a front end loader for ours. It should be delivered next week and I cant wait.

stumpman

Banned
Massey, ford or new holland , JD or kobota looks like all the gray market yanmars are getting hard to find at least around hear and parts arent that easy to come by get one that has parts available.

BULLDOG FAN

Mf

I Have A Mf 240. It Is 40 Hp And Is Perfect For Doing Food Plots And Fire Breaks. It May Be Hard To Find A Good One For $5,000 But It Is Possible. Mine Is A 1987 And I Have Had It For 4 Years. Never Had Any Problem With It. Also, With The Tires In It Can Be Hauled On A Standard 16 Ft. Trailer.

CAL

Check out the Market Bulletine.I would be looking for something like a Ford 4000 desiel with power steering.Watch out for repaint,it can cover up a multertude of sins.If you like I can send you a pm of what to watch out for!

Junebug

sgsjr

Lemme know how that 5320 works out...I been looking at those 5000 series for awhile waiting on one with enough hours I can afford.

Is yours MFWD?

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Ken,

Some good advice is given in the replys so far.

I have a Massey Ferguson 135 Diesel. It is 38 HP and does well with a 5 foot mower and similar width plows. I haul it with my F-150 and a dual axle 16 ft. trailer.

A diesel engine is more fuel efficient and usually has more power. Also be sure to get a model that has an under the tractor exhaust system. The muffler sticking up will be broken off by limbs, vines, etc.

One thing to consider is buying a tractor that is small enough to transport with an average truck and equipment trailer.

If you get into the 50-60 hp (or larger) range you will need something like a dual wheel truck and gooseneck trailer to haul a tractor of that size with equipment.

If you dont find what you want before early spring let me know and I will give you some information about equipment auctions that will offer all you need.

MM

Niner

I like the old Johnny Poppers.
I have a M model, but if I was to get another, I'd look at a 420 or 430. I'd also be sure to get a "wide front" instead of a tricycle.

You should be able to get a nice one for $5K.

sgsjr

Banned
Junebug:

I have had it over a week now and love it. Only put about 3 hours on it. Its size is perfect for my use and it is very Strong.

Not that it matters but the paint job is spectacular as compared to all the other makes. I looked at JD, massey, farmtrac, mccormick, and kubota before making the purchase. After the evaluations, in buying a new tractor, there was only two choices, John Deere first and Kubota a close second. All the rest were at the bottom of the list. It is noted that Massey and mccormick have perkins engines in them without sleeves. This yeilds an engine that does not make a good choice for rebuilding when necessary.

stumpman

Banned
Perkins is one of the best engines out there i have them on 2 pieces of equipment and had no need to rebuild they have never let me down check on who makes jd diesels jd arent made like they used to be there all made in foreign countries under 50 hp anymore i have a jd but its an old jd that is a real jd kubota is a great tractor.

sgsjr

Banned
Lets try that again,

Now, here is my deer plot special.

Attachments

• newjd.JPG
    newjd.JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 204

stumpman

Banned
Two nice looking tractors mine went to the shop yesterday massey 451 the lift wont go up all the time then a safety switch went out on a job site had to jumper to get it done should have it back soon

Nick_T

Banned
Mod 70, where are ya from? There's a place just outside of Byron that recondititions used tractors for resale. My boss bought one from them and he's kinda tight with his wallet so I'm pretty sure that you could get a good deal through them. If ya are interested I'll post up a number for them Tues when I get back to the office.

Nick T