First time squirrel hunting

shdybrady19

Well I think I am going to go to the dawson forest wma come august 15. I have never been squirrel hunting and I have never hunted on a public land. I tihnk there is a spot in the entrance you have to register at. Do you just get your tags from walmart and show up? What steps do I need to take. I tried to google it but didnt really get a good answer

GA DAWG

Yeah, you aint gotta register at the forest or anything..Just get your hunting lic. and wma stamp and hit it..I'm thinking about taking my friends young dog up there sat A.M. myself:shoot:

shdybrady19

well forgive my ignorance. But do you get the wma stamp at the same place you get your license?

GA DAWG

well forgive my ignorance. But do you get the wma stamp at the same place you get your license?
Yes or just get a sportsman lic..Youll be good to go on everything including fishing wma stamp will be included.Its 60 dollars....It dont cover ducks,geese or gators..

arcame

gohuntgeorgia.com is the website, stick to the hardwood creek bottoms and move really slow, should have your limit by noon.

Smallgame

See if you can find some hickory trees they are cutting on and sit and wait. I have two hickorys in the yard and they are working them already. And I don't know if I would expect a limit by noon. Twelve squirrels in four hours would be some kind of huntin. Squirrels aren't the hardest animal to hunt but they're not as easy as a lot of people think either. You've got to remember they are low on the food chain and everything is after them so they can get real nervous. When you move around it has to be slow and quite or you'll think there's not a squirrel for miles. When you're out deer hunting they seem to be everywhere but some how they know when your're hunting them and them make themselves scare. Anyway, have fun and don't forget the bug spray!

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
One thing I have noticed is when you stop and sit for a while, all of a sudden they show up.........if they see you they are GONE!

Yeah, you aint gotta register at the forest or anything..Just get your hunting lic. and wma stamp and hit it..I'm thinking about taking my friends young dog up there sat A.M. myself

RU allowed to take a dog out there?:huh:

GA DAWG

one thing i have noticed is when you stop and sit for a while, all of a sudden they show up.........if they see you they are gone!

Ru allowed to take a dog out there?:huh:
yes!!!!