muzzle loader ?

MD746

I have a cva optima and my son wants to shoot it at the range. Is it safe to shoot a single 50gr pellet with sabot I normally shoot and hunt with 100gr or 2 pellets but didnt know if 50grain charge would hurt anything?

WTM45

It will significantly hurt velocity. That will change the point of impact due to the trajectory change.
But the rifle should function fine.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
wont be a problem and with practice he could kill deer with it, but you would want to limit the range to 50 yards or so

I set LL up with 60 grains in mine at the range and she loved shooting it

hawgrider1200

every 50 cal I ever saw any recommendations from the factory said the recommended minimum load was 60 grains. Throw away those pellets and get some real black powder and a powder measure. Use the 60 grains for ur son and limit the range. Only way to limit his range will be to put him in a spot where he can't see but 50 yards. I put my son in a stand and reminded him that his little CVA was only to be shot out to 50 yards and he slings one out to a doe at about 100 yds. I hope it was a clean miss.

tv_racin_fan

MD what model is it? IF you no longer have the manual I bet CVA has one online you can download.

Hawg my CVA and my Traditions both list 50 grains as the minimum and the one I built back in the 80's listed 30 grains as minimum and I shot many a coke can at 50+ with it.

tv_racin_fan

MD I intend to kill one with my Ruger Old Army revolver and 50 grains of powder.

I'm going to grab me some 200 grain RNFP bullets and see how they stack up against the round ball. But I intend to get one with a round ball...

weagle

50 grains wont hurt a thing. If you are trying to reduce recoil, 50 grains with a 90 gr ball will be very easy on the shoulder.

Weagle