Squirrel Meat

dadsbuckshot

How do you prepair your squirrel meat?

Some folks eat it off the bone - others boil etc...

Not looking for receipes here... Just ideas before getting to the actual cooking.

Also how do you quarter a squirrel?

Rip Steele

Boil all mine and put them in dumplins. Never heard of quartering one.

Bowyer29

Boil, grill to finish. Or just grill. I cut them off behind the front shoulder, then you have ribs to hind quarters with no need to quarter.

R

redneckcamo

cut it up an fry it slow with a lid after a quick browning on both sides .mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Nimrod71

This is the way my grandma taught me, this is the way her grandma taught her, this goes back over 150 years now, and it still taste good today

skwerl quarterin`

Cut the head off.Then I cut`em off behind the shoulders and in front of the hips,then split the "halves" down the middle.In other words I don`t keep the backs.That gives you two front legs attatched to shoulders,and two back legs attatched to hips.I started doing this when I started using a .22 mag.I shoot some of`em so far off that headshots aren`t possible(except for some of the liars I know),so i just shoot`em broadside in the middle.It guts`em on the spot,usually,and the back ain`t worth much.I like to sit in one spot and shoot several before I move,then i go pick`em up.I boiled some quarters two days ago for two hours(slow boil)with a lotta salt and pepper.Made the house smell good.The wife then made dumplins.Also,I like to fry`em in a lotta salt and pepper,then make gravy,pour the gravy over the fried pieces,and let simmer an hour.This requires cathead biscuits.Or Grand`s,in a can.

Turkeypaw

i like em cooked several ways....fried is good......i dont quarter em' i half them...if that makes sense skin and then cut right in the middle of the back....like em' grilled too...i just marinate em' different ways and throw them on the grill on low/medium heat....eat off the bone.
Same way I do it.

Doug B.

I like to shoot mine in the head, that is not always possible, but it does save a lot of meat. Then I quarter mine and either freeze them in water , make squirrel and dumplings, or fry them. To quarter a squirrel, I skin them first, then gut them and cut the head off (I used to keep and eat the head, but my wife would leave the table when I cracked them open so I stopped keeping them). Then I cut the front legs off, much like you would a deer or something, starting behind the shoulder and cutting toward the head. There is no bone to cut through on the front legs. Then I cut through the joint on the back legs, just like the ball joint on the back legs of a deer. Then I cut the rib cage off and throw it away but I keep the lower back which is probably the best part. It is the tender loin, or the back strap and has a lot of meat on it. Then I am ready to cook and eat and it is good to my face.:cool:

308-MIKE

i like to quarter them, much easier to pack them out of the woods:rofl:

pacecars

Bighead

We quarter them too . We also let them set 24 hours in unseasoned meat tenderizer before we fry them.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
i parboil all my rodents. drain and quarter, roll in milk, and dredge in flour salt and pepper, introduce mr. nut gatherer to some hot grease.:whip::bounce::stir:

.....X2

I quarter and fry and make gravy with the oil in the fry pan.

Cavalry Scout

Maybe quarter is a bad term... Cut them off behind the shoulders, cust the rear Section off, pat with flour, fry and then throw in with some rice. Or cook rice and mix with cream of mushroom soup and simmer.

shortround1

Gone But Not Forgotten
i like em cooked several ways....fried is good......i dont quarter em' i half them...if that makes sense skin and then cut right in the middle of the back....like em' grilled too...i just marinate em' different ways and throw them on the grill on low/medium heat....eat off the bone.
i think u are right, but u can cut the front legs off at the backbone, same with the rear legs, quartering was done by my great grandmother to take all the backbone out. par boil for 30 min. drained then dreadge in buttermilk and rolled in flour, fried till brown. biscuits, gravy, rice and sliced tomatoes, iced tea of course, but u had to chip the ice from a block.:banana:::ke::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::biggrin3::fine::cool: