What are squirrels feeding on?

Incawoodsman

Just curious what the squirrels are feeding on at this time of year here in North West Georgia. Can anyone give me a rundown so that I can start scouting my area? I have no clue if they are eating hickory or Oak nuts? Also, as the seasons change then what do they start eating? Thanks a bunch. This is my 1st squirrel season that I will be hunting.

Also, should I use a shotgun or a .22 in right now? I have heard people say with so many leaves on the trees its better to use a shotgun. Thanks a bunch!!

flybum84

down here around ft benning I've seen more shucked green pinecones then I have cut up acorns. But I've seen them in the nieghborhood in the oak trees. I got out twice both times not being good weather for them (you've got to go just to get out sometimes) and the only one I did see was running from a pine tree to his home in an oak.
I like a 22lr all year for one .22 rounds are a heck of a lot cheaper and I like the challange and satisfaction of getting head shots.

AHERRING

They are eatin apples here in Madison, Franklin County line. I use a shotgun with rabbit/squirel shells,when I shoot them in the yard.

shortround1

Gone But Not Forgotten
down here around ft benning I've seen more shucked green pinecones then I have cut up acorns. But I've seen them in the nieghborhood in the oak trees. I got out twice both times not being good weather for them (you've got to go just to get out sometimes) and the only one I did see was running from a pine tree to his home in an oak.
I like a 22lr all year for one .22 rounds are a heck of a lot cheaper and I like the challange and satisfaction of getting head shots.
here in central ga, they were tearing up my apples, since last saturdays hunt i haven't seen one. i think if the red oaks make this year they hit those first, the dogwood berries are next.:D:pop:

Smallgame

I've been at Pine Log the past two Saturdays and they are tearin up the hickory nuts. Saw nine this morning but only got a shot at three. Got two of them. A shotgun would have made it easier but just can't leave the Marlin 39A at home.

Coastie

Hickorys this time of year in the North Georgia Mountains plus you will see them in the tops of Poplars feeding on them. You will also find that they love Pine nuts so if there is a stand of mixed hardwood and pine look in those pine tops.

Nga.

North Central Georgia they are hitting Pine Cones, Hickory Nuts & a few Red oaks are getting cut on.

old florida gator

Here in central fl they are cutting up magnolia seed pods and trying to eat green laureloak acorns. They are really making a mess in my drive way.

flybum84

what time are you guys seeing them? I was out today fro about two hours from 2-4 and dint' see or hear a single bushytail. I found a few more trees that you about couldn't spit within a 12 ft readius with out hiting shucked pinecone parts but still no squirrels. I think they are coming out in the morning with it being coolier but I'm not sure

Smallgame

I've been seeing them from daylight until around 9:30am. It's still just too hot for them to be moving much in the middle of the afternoon.

tnhikr44

Here in central Georgia they are tearing up the Pecans in my yard. Being inside the city limits, am I allowed to shoot these messy creatures with a BB gun? Doubt they will leave one nut in my six Pecan trees.

Bushhog Bob

Can not go wrong hunting close to hickor nut tree. Use a 410 or 20 gauge until the leaves fall or be extra good with a 22 LR.

Brian Groce

Every Squirrel I seen or heard was in a Hickory Tree Saturday.

squirrels

Hickories now,but found wolves in one Thurs.I quit `til after deer season.They`re tearing up hickory nuts on Paulding Forest.

crackerdave

In this part of Ga. they are wearin' out some pine cones,and starting on the hickernuts.The meat sho is good when they're eating hickernuts! 'Specially those little lumps on their necks!:bounce: