Screaming Pteradactyl Deer

Bruz

Gone but not forgotten
First let me say that I don't believe in aliens, bigfoot, Nessie or ghosts.

I'm not much for story telling but here goes. My brother and I were riding my Ranger through our area in Meriwether County and went to check out one of our food plots. As we pulled up and stopped we heard a sound like metal scraping over and over on a chalk board...It made us both jump and I grabbed my 450 Marlin out of the Polaris. The sound was coming from behind a little section of brush 6 yards in front of us. It was almost like a bird sound but then we saw the deer. It kept making the sound and then jumped about 3 times and stopped and started making it again. Then it just took off. Now I've heard deer blow, grunt, snort wheeze etc....but have never heard anything like this sound in the woods. When we got back to camp everyone thought we were nuts. I know one thing...If I ever heard this in the dark.....Well you get the picture......Has anyone ever heard a deer make a sound like this before?

Last edited:

ponyboy

that wuz bigfoot playin with his pet deer........ :bounce:

Uncle T

My son spine shot a doe last year and it made out a scream that can only be described as a Pteradactyl. I'd never heard anything like it before in my life and it scared me because I was 75 yards from him and it was extremely loud.

ut

Bruz

Gone but not forgotten
Update

Ok...I just talked to a guy who said that he has heard it before...he said that he was hunting and 5 does bedded behind him...a little later four of the does got up and the other stayed...Well he got bored and turned around to tell the 5th doe hello....She was asleep at the time and he said that she jumped and a started screaming as she ran toward the other does. His brother was hunting 100 yards down the ridge and got behind a log when he heard the sound. He said that his brother didn't believe him wen he told him that it was a deer making the noise.

This makes me think that this is a "Terror" call and that my brother and I drove up on a deer that was asleep and when it realized that we were right on top of it...well it "Screamed".

GeauxLSU

Bruz,
Quit scaring the poor critters! :whip: :bounce:
Never heard that sound. And from the way you describe it, I guess that's a good thing. ;)

G

Gator1679

Oh my gosh, the scariest part about this thread is that I think you are serious! Wow, never heard one scream out of fear. Usually the sound I hear when I scare one is a loud blowing sound and the sound of 4 hooves doing about 45 through a pine thicket. Be careful on your club it sounds dangerous.

Bruz

Gone but not forgotten
Gator1679 said:
Oh my gosh, the scariest part about this thread is that I think you are serious! Wow, never heard one scream out of fear. Usually the sound I hear when I scare one is a loud blowing sound and the sound of 4 hooves doing about 45 through a pine thicket. Be careful on your club it sounds dangerous.

Gator,

I'm not saying that it is anything that would keep me out of the woods but it was a very unique sound. You get used to the sounds of the woods and when a new one comes from an animal that you thought you knew...it makes any normal person curious.

7Mag Hunter

Screaming Deer ???

I think you guys maybe had 1 or 10 to many adult beverages to be riding around in the woods at night... :crazy: :crazy:

Seriously, I have heard yotes make some ungodly sounds
...But never screaming deer......

Maybe it caught the flu that is going around !!! ::ke: ::ke:

Bruz

Gone but not forgotten
Submission

OK OK I give up.....It seems everybody is a comodian....I just want to leave you guys with this...If you're ever in the woods in the dark and you hear a sound that makes the hair stand up on the back of your neck....remember it may or may not be the Screaming Pteradactyl Deer ::;

leoparddog

I've not heard it in person, but have seen it on video. a fawn/doe distress scream. horrible sound. On the video, these two boys are sitting at the base of a tree making this horrible screaming sound and some adult does come running. I won't be buying that call and making that noise in the woods.

dixie

I can relate, I made a BAD shot on one a few years back, that scream from the deer stayed with me a while, I don't want to hear it again.

Dub

Duck's and Buck's said:
This is the funniest thread I've read to date :pop: :pop: :pop:

Stick around....it gets good around here sometimes. :D

Okay..........here it is..........true story............two years ago I was sitting in a buddy stand one afternoon on what we refer to as our "Back Food Plot".....ingeneous title, I know..........I wasn't with a buddy....like you were while sporting around in your RANGER....I was just chillin' in my stand.

The Back Food Plot runs about 165 yards long by 25 wide...pine and hardwood wedge on your right...pine thicket behind and all down the left side.

I had three does come out from my back left and walked in front of my stand and eased on out about 50 yards in front of me...eating in the plot. I placed the crosshares on the largest does lungs and squeezed off a shot. One ran to the right into the hardwoods.....the other ran the length of the food plot away from me making a noise that I can only describe as a screach. It was wierd as all get out. I know that the poor doe was skeered cause I skeert myself on that shot.....shooting a hugely overbore magnum rifle that I didn't need at all for situation....or species for that matter.

Stay in the woods long enogh and you'll encounter some strange things. :crazy:

sniper13

Back in the day, I hunted Pteradactyl's, Professionally.
Funny thing was, they didn't bleed, so tracking and recovery were about impossible. ;)
On a late night hog hunt, a buddy and I were sitting out in a swamp, in total darkness. We'd look with night vision, and if we saw something, we'd turn on a light, briefly. There wasn't a breath of air moving and you couldn't see your hand in front of your face. It was also very quiet. Something about 3 trees over from us made the awfullest noise I ever heard! You know how a bobcat scream gets your attention?
Whatever made this noise had my FULL attention. It hollered 2-3-times over about 2min., and we never heard it again.We lit up the area and saw no movement or heard another sound. I've heard bobcats, owls and most everything in the woods. This wasn't one of them. I don't have a clue what it was, and might not want to know. True story, so, yes I've heard things in the woods, but never stopped going.

Bruz

Gone but not forgotten
Dub said:
Stick around....it gets good around here sometimes. :D

....like you were while sporting around in your RANGER....I was just chillin' in my stand.

Dub,

Before you go accusing me of being uppity as my Granny would say....I have to get some mileage out of my New Ranger XP 700 EFI as it was an anniversary gift from my wife...So I had to mention it....I didn't mention my new 38' Keystone Raptor 5th Wheel Toy Hauler that I use to carry it and my wife around...her anniversary gift (Pictures enclosed) BTW...They are paid for :yeah:

Every Danged month :hair:

Attachments

• DSC02635LW.JPG
    DSC02635LW.JPG
    163.8 KB · Views: 2,689

Bruz

Gone but not forgotten
It just hit me when I posted the picture......Maybe it was a Raptor and not a Pteradactyl!!! Raptor Deer even sounds better....Can a mod please change the Title of the thread? :D