View Full Version : Alright, those who have taken a bear with a bow

08-26-2009, 12:46 PM
Let's hear your story!

08-26-2009, 09:49 PM
Hopefully I'll have a story in about three weeks!:banana:

08-26-2009, 10:04 PM
Hopefully I'll have a story in about three weeks!:banana:
Me makes 2

jeremy sharpton
08-27-2009, 09:37 PM

Coon Dog
08-27-2009, 10:09 PM
i have killed 2 with my bow on north ga wma land had seen alot of them and never cared much about killing one figured i would set out one year and do so for the heck of it killed 1 and liked it some said i would kill another next bow season as well and did not tryed to kill another since see bears every year already seen some while hog hunting all in trees and i just walk up to the tree and look at them a bit

08-27-2009, 11:01 PM
Tell us about after the shot. Tracking em, finding em and such

08-27-2009, 11:16 PM
Does this count?

08-28-2009, 01:28 AM
I have had a few chances, but I am waiting on a nice sized one here in GA, or one day a Griz...

Coon Dog
08-28-2009, 01:29 PM
Tell us about after the shot. Tracking em, finding em and such

1st bear ran about 40 yards 2nd bear about 30 yards all out of sight from me both done the death growl stuff will make a first timer scared to get down out of the tree and start tracking

08-28-2009, 04:51 PM
Killed one, not with a bow but with a gun and it will be my last. Absolutely hardest thing to drag out of the woods.

08-28-2009, 05:42 PM
Ive killed two, both in Canada. First one came into 12 yards. We left that sow over night because we never heard a death moan. She had only gone 30 yards and died runing. The second one was this past June. Same deal, came into the bait at 14 yards and let the hammer down. The second one was also a sow and she ran 50 yards and died running again. Its definately a rush and I will try here in GA this season for sure.

08-29-2009, 10:40 AM
Done it once don't think i'll ever do it again. Its too much trouble after the shot not only getting out of the woods but the whole check in thing.

08-29-2009, 02:56 PM
My first bear came as a complete fluke. It was Halloween of 05 or 06. My wife was helping to give candy away at a bank so I had the afternoon to hunt. I decieded to go hang a stand in hopes of the coming rut. I went to a place where the year before I had saw some good bucks during the rut. I set up a stand in a small white oak about 18 feet up. As soon as I got the stand set up a friend called me on my cell. I talked to him on the phone for about 30 mintues not trying to be quiet at all. When I hung the phone up I heard something coming. I had pulled my bow up so i could be sure I could clear everything when I drew. So I stood up thinking I might get a shot on a doe. Well much to my surprise a bear around 400+ pounds came jogging down the ridge and up the side I was on. At 20 yards she stopped broadside. I was a breath away from letting an arrow fly when I heard something else. I looked the way she had came and there was a 50 pound cub coming the way it's momma had. So I had to let down on the huge sow. She looked like she had swallowed a 50 gallon drum. I was excited as that was the first bear I had ever seen in the woods while hunting. That got me pumped up and I thought I might as well sit in the stand for a little longer. About 10 minutes later from the opposite direction I heard something and before I could stand up a 120 ish pd bear came into view. I was able to stand up and when he got about 15 yards away slightly up the ridge from me. I shot hitting him behind the leg and angling up hitting the spine and off shoulder. He fell down and started rolling down the ridge. As he rolled by me I shot him again through the body at about 5 yards. He rolled down into the bottom into some thick rhodos and started making all kinds of noises. I only had one arrow left and knowing there was a 400 pound bear around and your up a tree with one arrow is not a good feeling. I knew my dad was nearby and would have a gun with him. I waited in my stand until my dad showed up with a shotgun (which I later found out was loaded with number eight shot, since he had been bird hunting when I called him to come help). I told him he should really start carrying a rifle in the truck. LOL. However the bear was dead when we followed the blood trail. We dragged the bear out by ourselves and a wildlife tech came by my house the next morning and looked at the skull and hide. It was an adventure. I had never thought I would get to shoot a bear in Georgia with my bow nontheless. Good luck this season on sticking a bear, I hope to get a big one for a shoulder mount myself.

08-29-2009, 04:32 PM
I been running into him more then once I may just see if I can take him with the bow Oct 15. in n.y.s. Hancock area
I would say he runs over 450lbs .I don't thnik he will be around during the gun season he too smart to get that big but early bow or late M/L season He may slip up in someone shooting lane.
I would think onit more trouble getting out of the woods maybe 2 good Quads 450 or bettter should get himout.
I never gutted a bear wonder if it like the same set up as a deer?:yeah:

08-30-2009, 10:47 AM
tried it for the first time last year. found a muscadine patch that they were using and set up on it. put my stand up a week early. so they could get used to it.

on opening day of archery i brought an ice chest with 3 sandwhiches and bottled water. i tied a string to the ice chest so that i could pull it up to me and get a sandwhich or water. i was determined to sit there all day if necessary to shoot my first bear.

by 830, i had a momma bear and a cub come out and start feeding on the muscadines. the momma saw my ice chest sitting on the ground and made a beeline for it...

she walked over to it and turned it over, the ice inside made a loud sound so she and the cub took off running. they ran about 20 yards and came back.

she started chewing on the icechest to get it open. after about 10 minutes of flipping it over and biting on it, she finally got it open. she grabbed one of the sandwhiches and took off running along with the cub. they disappeared. they came back about 5 minutes later and stole another sandwhich and ran off, then came back and grabbed the 3rd sandwhich and ate it. there went my lunch... :bounce:

then she started going after my water bottles. she was chewing on them to get them open... she busted one open and drank some of it but was less than impressed. she went over to the cub and laid down to eat muscadines. they ate for about 20 minutes than wandered off...

so i sat there and about 20 minutes later another bear came out from the other direction. wasnt a huge bear but it was a bear. after what i had just sat thru and watched... this bear was going down... :shoot:

this one came into range and got about 15 yards away while eating muscadines... i was hoping for a bigger one but i could not take it anymore... i shot her right thru the kill zone and she ran about 30 yrds and fell over...

i had my first bear ever with a bow... it was the best hunt ever and cant wait to do it again this year... they are killing the muscadine field again this year.... just a matter of going back and waiting it out... got some pics of much bigger bears. gonna hold out one this year that will hit the 300lb range... the meat is awesome too...!

08-30-2009, 11:35 AM
That is truly a neat story. Thanks for sharing

08-30-2009, 05:29 PM
I have seen 10 bears in 24hrs at a north ga wma hog hunting, never even occoured to me as a deer and turkey hunter to go look for bears.I might be bear hunting opening day. I want one more than a buck i dare say.

08-30-2009, 07:18 PM
I have seen 10 bears in 24hrs at a north ga wma hog hunting, never even occoured to me as a deer and turkey hunter to go look for bears.I might be bear hunting opening day. I want one more than a buck i dare say.
Those hills have em especially up there at the Hooch:rolleyes: