Salt water fly fishing

BBDJR

going down to alligator point in florida for labor day. Was wanting some tips and advice on what to use and the best ways to do it. Never done it before.
Thanks,
J.R.

Sargent

I went for the first time over Memorial day. I used a guide- 8 wt set up with a shrimp fly.

Oh yeah- don't try and set the hook by lifting your rod tip. Set the hook by pulling on the line. This is a VERY hard habit to break and it cost me a few fish.

Jarred

What exactly you fishing for.

clayfish

I've never been really succesfull with fly yet in salt water but I'm trying. I can give you some advice for that area. This time of year the bay is covered up with reds. Find the many creek mouths during the outgoing tide. Throw a clouser minnow up into the creeks and work it out towards the bay. You can also pick up alot of spanish on a clauser or gummy minnow. You can head out about 3 or 4 miles and hit the shoals too. Work the edges of the grass beds and look for bait pods.

Mr7mag

Salt Water

Like someone said, don't set the hook with your rod. Strip to strike and set the hook. If you use your rod and miss, the fly moves well away from the fish.
Secondly. I like clousers, any color is good, but I prefer white. You can work it faster or slower to keep it near the surface or down in the water column. They are good imitations of baitfish, and will work on a variety of fish species. I use 9 foot leader including a 20# bite tippet. I will adjust the bite tippet to heavier line if bigger, toothier fish are biting. Good luck!