Ground Blind vs. Tree Stand for Bears

Jeff1973

Do you guys like to hunt on the ground or get in a tree for bears? i have lugged treestands around for them, but gets to be a pain in the rear after awhile. i have built some ground blinds from time to time also. i prefer to be in a tree if possible. i was just interested to see what everyone else thinks...thanks for the input in advance and good luck!

Bears have incredible noses. You could hunt them on the ground but watching the wind will be your main issue...If i could, i would get up there in the air and be very wary about my approach to my stand. Bears will sometimes cross your tracks and if they are educated about human scent, they will quite possibly vacate the area. Once and a while though back home, the bears would follow peoples' tracks because they were curious, but they tend to be the younger ones.

ground blind vs tree stand for bears

A friend of mine was hunting the parent/child special on Cooper Creek WMA. Sitting on the ground watching an oak flat with his daughter. She saw a stump and then it moved. Harvested a nice bear from the ground, but that's unusual. Most are taken from a stand.

Rich Kaminski

Hunt them on the ground. Use skunk scent 10 feet behind you and 10 feet to either side of you.
But because we can't bait bear in GA, it's best to stalk hunt the waterways.

Dana Young

either way is good but I see and kill most while on the ground. mainly because where I hunt you don't want to carry a stand in that far.

NoOne

Gone but not forgotten.
either way is good but I see and kill most while on the ground. mainly because where I hunt you don't want to carry a stand in that far.

that's for sure:bounce:

huntemwfo

The ground is best for me. I like to be able to move around for a good shot but I only bow hunt for bear. Just watch the wind. I use a stand sometimes but tough to lug around these mountains.

Latest posts