Henry Count Week 2

Hoss

Got to camp on Friday with just enough daylight left to hear a shot from the direction of a stand that I was sure one of my hunting buddies was in. He called me and told me he had got a buck and his jeep would not start. I loaded up the ATV and headed for where he was hunting on the intersection of a power line and gas line. He had shot the deer on the gas line and it ran off down a hill into some kudzu. We walked over to the deer and I surveyed how to get the ATV to the deer. I walked out and noted a small gully less than a foot deep. No problem. Drove the ATV to the deer and we loaded it up on the front rack. I got on and my buddy climbed on the back. I backed up as far as I could and then began to go forward. Wasn't quite on the same track that I came in on, maybe about 10 feet father down the hill. Well that a shallow gully got to be a couple of feet deep at this point and a the front wheel dropped in. That shifted the load and we went over on our side. My friend ended up farther down in the gully and it was probably four foot deep at that point. I held onto the ATV to keep it from continuing to roll over on us and managed to get it back up right. Luckily, we were going very slow so no one was hurt, my friend was just bruised up a little where a log interrupted his fall. Got everything loaded up and drove on out. Lesson: IF you are going to drive through kudzu, make sure that you have walked the trail you are going on cause that stuff kind hide some huge holes.

Saturday, I had two spikes go through the area I was hunting. The first at about 7:45. He was a small one. I watched him and learned that even young deer catch on pretty quick. He crossed the trail that I went in on and immediately went on the alert. Started stomping his foot and looking around a lot. I grunted at him and he stayed in the area, but never really settled down. Finally, he was putting his head as high in the air as he could get it and smelling. He had to have winded me cause he blew and headed out of there blowing as he went. It was then that I was kicking my backside for forgetting the no scent that morning. At 9:00, the second one came into the area walking at a quick pace. I got on him when he hit an opening and squeezed the trigger. Nothing, got to take the safety off. Got that little detail taken care of and got the grunt tube to my mouth in time to grunt him when he was hitting the next opening. He stopped with just enough of him showing from behind a tree to let me put a 165 grain speer through his ribs. Ran about 30 yards and dropped. Freezer meat. I'd been saving this stand for Meagan to hunt, but since she didn't come with me this weekend, I decided to take a deer for the freezer. The good news is I went back to the stand the next morning and had another buck come through. It was a four wanna be. Good rack with two point on one side a either a spike or broken antler on the other, so Meagan still has a chance at a buck.

Hoss

PS Week 3 will be a non hunting weekend for me. The property that I hunt is adjacent to Atlanta Motor Speedway, and I am not going to fight the race crowd to hunt.

leo

Retired Woody's Mod 7/01-12/09
Congrats Hoss

on getting some freezer meat :clap:

Make sure you save at least one for Meagan now ;)

leo

Hoss

That's my main goal now Leo.

With the number of hunters we have on our lease and the problems we have had in the past with over harvesting of does, I likely won't be shooting another deer this year unless the big boy comes out. That's is a low probability on our club, but I will be out there trying to hit the rut to improve my odds on him. That being said, my goal after getting some meat in the freezer is to get Meagan or my wife on a deer. It would be a first for either of them.

Hoss