Sharkskin

Tightliner

For quite some time now, I have swore by RIO Grand line. This line has really impressed me with its shooting ability in the wind and its ability to recover from bad loading. Since I changed to it (wf floating), I wouldnt even consider another line. However, while in Alberta I had the opportunity to cast a rod loaded with Sharkskin. I hopper fish with my 9ft, 6wt., Z-Axis loaded up with RIO Grand. My friend that I fish there with had the same rod, only it was loaded with Skarkskin. Man what a difference! It was really nice to be able to fish identical rods with different lines for a head-to-head compairison. The Sharkskin was extremely supple and shot like a bullet. It even punched the wind as well as the RIO (while it actually feels like a lighter wt line). The only thing getting used to was stripping the line back in from a cast. It kinda feels like sandpaper gliding through your fingers. It would probably lead to a rough day of streamer fishing :confused:. I would never sink $99 into an unknown line, but I'm actually considering some when I replace the line on my dry rod (9ft, 4wt, Z-axis). Any of y'all out there ever fished this line on a 4wt or similar? From what I experienced on a 6wt throwing a big hopper, would probably translate into a very fine dry fly line on a lighter rod. Just hard to swollow that kind of price! But, from what Ive experienced on the 6wt, I think it might be well worth the difference. Just wonder what the life expectancy is? WONDERLINE was a rocket too, that is... straight out of the box. Turns into a dog after about 6 months. Dont ask me how I know :mad:. Thoughts????

Later......................................................

TurkeyH90

I hear the sharkskin will blister your fingers. Thought about trying it myself but none of my flyfishing aquaintances fish it.

fwhitaker

I hate the stuff...I used it for a week or two. I gave it away and went back to my GPX.

It will absoultly create abrasions on the skin after use, and that SOUND...nothing like hiking as far as possible to get away from it all and having to listen to that sound it makes through the guides.

I can neither confirm nor deny the following, but i have been told it gets dirty very quickly, and it wears out and looses that shoot-ability that sets it apart.

Just my two cents, plus some stuff I have heard.

2bbshot

I have heard complaints about it making noise when going thru the guides. The same person said it mends and roll cast better than any line he has ever thrown.

Streamer

SA just changed the line, and made the pattern less aggressive, so it will not be as loud and will not be as rough on the fingers.

Last edited:

Tightliner

Well..... seems that I'm not the only one who experienced the sandpaper feel and sound:huh:. Again, would lead to a tough day of streamer fishing. My main concern was the lifespand of the line. For that kind of price, it should last a while. It cast great, but so does most fresh lines. Guess I'll just stick to the Grand which has good track record with me. Maybe the new design will work thru those problems. But I still have to say, it shoots like a rocket (at least on a 6wt), but afraid to fork out that kind of $ till its proven its longevity. Thanks for the feedback.

Later...................................

Last edited:

TopWater94

I agree with sticking to the Rio Grand. Long lasting, all around good, versatile line. Really, the only two things that you gain when using Sharkskin is improved shootability and mendability. Both equally effortless compared to the competition. However, I have been just as successful with the competition from makers such as Airflo, SA, Rio, and even the Cabela's brands. I wouldnt sacrifice price for improvement in only two areas with major cons to boot. But if you are really looking to shoot from the hip while sight casting then Shrakskin is your line. There are many pros and cons about any lines, its just a matter of matching your line with all the factors. Season, species, water type, and most of all style of fishing.
I will be honest, despite my almost "bashing" this line, I have one but rarely use it only for sight casting during trout spawning periods. However if you wish to use this line I suggest the recently added GPX taper.

((((FYI)))) I have friends (no names) who art competing in the best of the west casting competitiont this year and sources claim that SA has created a Sharkskin XXD for the competition. Can't wait to see that line shooting. Must have been Bruce Richards going out with a "bang."