Bad idea to try and track in the rain?

GA_MTN_MAN

Hey. It's my first year hunting with a bow. I plan to try again this afternoon, assuming the weather isn't dangerous.
My question is, since I will be alone would it be too hard to track a blood trail in the rain? I have a really good spot but I don't want to risk not finding a hit deer.
What are your general thoughts? Would you advise a newbie against tracking in the rain?

rjcruiser

Hey. It's my first year hunting with a bow. I plan to try again this afternoon, assuming the weather isn't dangerous.
My question is, since I will be alone would it be too hard to track a blood trail in the rain? I have a really good spot but I don't want to risk not finding a hit deer.
What are your general thoughts? Would you advise a newbie against tracking in the rain?

Nobody can track in the rain. Dog or human. Just make sure you put a top notch shot on the deer....so you don't have to track far. Once the rain comes, the blood will be washed away.

mstew

Take lots of toilet paper or napkins. If you shoot one you can blot the ground in the direction or down the trail the deer headed and the blood will still show up on a white paper towel or toilet paper. You can also use poroxide in a spray bottle and look for the bubbles, though it may leave a scent trail for the deer and they will know something is wrong.

GA_MTN_MAN

That is a really cool tip. I will add that to my pack. I will also be extra careful with my shot if it looks like rain will hit.
Thanks for the advice.

ALL4HUNTIN

If you are familiar with your woods, then you probably know the trails.... Should you hit one (double lung ), should only go less than 100+ yards... Now, you should be able to see about 40 or 50 of that leaving you with about 50 yards of unknown... Watch the deer, listen to the sounds as she/he runs off and check the trails... If it is less than a marginal hit or shot, PASS ON HER/HIM!!!

Good luck...

GA_MTN_MAN

I am definitely keeping in mind my excitement of a first bow kill vs the reality of losing a wounded animal. The area has a thick brush cover but as long as the deer doesn't move outside the immediate area I should be ok.
Hopefully I don't get hit by a downpour. It's certainly beena good week to learn.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
That is a really cool tip. I will add that to my pack. I will also be extra careful with my shot if it looks like rain will hit.
Thanks for the advice.

I would hope you would be "extra careful" with your shot regardless of weather. You owe it to the deer.

I've tracked in the rain and it's difficult to impossible, depending on how much it's raining. Blood will stay on wet leaves, but dissipates quickly. A quick track-job after the shot may be your best bet, but you always risk pushing a wounded deer if you track too quickly.

As a side note, I think blood stays red longer on a wet surface.

GA_MTN_MAN

By extra careful I meant that I would probably lower my allowable shooting yardage, mentally. I am pretty comfortable with my broadheads to about 35yrds. I will try to get a closer shot or let it go, hoping for another chance some other day when the weather is better.
I haven't experienced tracking/pushing yet. I know about being mentally aware of where the deer goes post shot and not trying to chase it too soon. Adding rain concerns me. I may just scrap my plans and wait for another day.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
No, don't stay home... you can learn a lot just by being in the woods, rain or shine.

I got my first bow-kill after spending all afternoon in the pouring rain. I gut shot a doe, tracked her for 2 hours (into the night) and came back the next morning and found her about 60 yards past where we had stopped looking the night before.

mstew

Remember, if a deer is wounded and it is raining, many deer will seek refuge in thickets. If you know your shot was less than perfect, keep in mind of those thickets it may go to for shelter. Be very cautious when approaching those areas. Like ALL4HUNTIN said, knowing the land can increase your chances of recovering your deer.

ALL4HUNTIN

GA MT Man.... By reading your posts, It is obvious that you are an ethical hunter, meaning you are already thinking of what can go wrong, how to adjust your hunt by the weather climate, and so on.. Some people hunt the same regardless of changing weather patterns.. Keep up the good thinking and remember that you are the one in the woods, keep thinking the way you are thinking and make your own boundaries as you see fit. I agree to not stay home!!! Go with the bow, and wait for your time...

Good luck and have a great hunt...

BowArrow

I might hunt in a misting rain but not a steady rain. Bowhunting depends on tracking skills to find the game and can be difficult under dry conditions. I would stay home and go another day.

Huntinfool

I might hunt in a misting rain but not a steady rain. Bowhunting depends on tracking skills to find the game and can be difficult under dry conditions. I would stay home and go another day.

Bowhunting only requires good tracking skills if you don't put a good shot on the deer....just like rifle hunting.

A double lung or heart shot will not need a tracking job....get out there and hunt!

will hunt 4 food

Nobody can track in the rain. Dog or human. Just make sure you put a top notch shot on the deer....so you don't have to track far. Once the rain comes, the blood will be washed away.

Not true at all, a light to moderate rain will not bother a trailing dog. A heavy prolonged down poor can hamper it, but most of the rain we get can actually help.:flag: Tracking in the rain can be miserable for the handler and hunter though.

Last edited:

Huntinfool

I think there are plenty of people that would argue otherwise.

They would be wrong then....

It is physically impossible for a deer with no lungs or heart to run very far. If you watch the direction they run and can half way find your way through the woods, your "track job" will be short.

I know...I know. There will be 15 stories of deer that ran a mile and a half with an arrow through both lungs. I'm not buyin'.

letsemwalk

They would be wrong then....

It is physically impossible for a deer with no lungs or heart to run very far. If you watch the direction they run and can half way find your way through the woods, your "track job" will be short.

I know...I know. There will be 15 stories of deer that ran a mile and a half with an arrow through both lungs. I'm not buyin'.

you don`t have to buy it and heres your first story. and not with a bow but with a 30:06. two hits. 1 lung out and jelly for a heart. buck went in excess of 400 yards. it happens.

deerhunter70

Not true at all, a light to moderate rain will not bother a trailing dog. A heavy prolonged down poor can hamper it, but most of the rain we get can actually help.:flag: Tracking in the rain can be miserable for the handler and hunter though.

You are exactly right. we have tracked several people with K-9's over my 10 years in law enforcement in the rain. If anything alittle rain will help tracking dogs..I also agree that it can be miserable also...

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
the problem is not the mile and a half...its the 100 yards that one will run with no lungs.

if they do ANY backtracking or looping or running through a cutover you will be lucky to find them with no blood trail.

I vowed years ago to not shoot one with a bow in a heavy rain or even a threat of heavy rain. about 5 years back I shot one a lil before dark. got down, marked good blood and went to the truck to lose some gear and get the big light and give her a lil time.

then the bottom fell out!

I went back to where I marked blood and my paper was still there but not a drop of blood. I knew the general area and knew it was a good shot, but was searching blind. we searched for a few hours but never found her.

she was found the next morning about 100 yards away...in a different direction from where she had run. shot was good but meat was not

Killdee

Keet this in mind a deer with both lungs punctured CAN, but not always, live for about 7-10 seconds, especially when shot on the inhale. Spook a deer sometime and watch how far they CAN run in 7 seconds. I just dont bow hunt in rain more than a mist, but it's always your call when and how you hunt, just keep these things in mind. Theres to much season for me to worry about missing a few hunts.....Or weeks if this stuff keeps up.:mad: