thermocell

Any one felt like deer inside 25 yards smell their thermocell? I know they work great but Sat afternoon had 3 different does coming in and all went on super high alert trying to smell and looking all around. Just my 2nd time using it. Has anyone tryed the new earth scent for them ?

drippin' rock

Yes!!!!!!! They smell it, and they run from it!!! Anybody that disagrees is a lilly livered, yeller bellied, weak kneed, egg suckin' knucklehead. IMO of course.::ke:

Spinnerbait Nate

It's not the thermacell ITS YOU!!! i shot a doe at 11 yards last year sitting under a pine tree on the ground with the wind blowing in her direction and the thermacell fired up. i could see the smoke going right to her. she never knew i was there.

00Beau

It's not the thermacell ITS YOU!!! i shot a doe at 11 yards last year sitting under a pine tree on the ground with the wind blowing in her direction and the thermacell fired up. i could see the smoke going right to her. she never knew i was there.

X2 :cheers:

450rdawg

The wind is always changing direction! Scent control is a must. wind is overated just get out there and hunt.

I've just got to know what kind of scent control you use. I'm extra cautious about this and still get busted from time to time.

I think they can smell it personally, so I just try to keep the wind in my favor.

Spinnerbait Nate

Some people stink, thats the truth. wash your clothes and your body in bakingsoda before every hunt. its cheap and it works. i bought a big kahuna shower system for the camp. when i get back to camp i change my clothes and hang them up, and take a shower right before i get back in the woods. i also bring extra clothes. If your scent free the wind does not matter. as far as the thermacell have you looked up the ingredients that they use in the pads? The most important thing is to be STILL!!! Try it ,what do you have to lose. P.S. Don't stick out like a sore thumb, get some back round cover. You are in their house.

Last edited:
F

Flathead-Hunta

I had 4 deer last night all within ten yards and directly under my stand..I was up only 12ft..Thermacell goin full blast...that should answer your question..

G Duck

Any one felt like deer inside 25 yards smell their thermocell? I know they work great but Sat afternoon had 3 different does coming in and all went on super high alert trying to smell and looking all around. Just my 2nd time using it. Has anyone tryed the new earth scent for them ?

Just my opinion, but they were probably smelling something else. Have used them since they came out. Had deer upwind downwind all around . standing under the tree. etc. I had a button buck bed down ten yards downwind last week. Best thinkg that I have purchased in a while is the Savannah scent lock coverall. Trust me, dont wory with earth scent. That may be too much of a new smell for where you are hunting.
just my opinion.

markland

If they smell the Thermacell, they are smelling you and almost impossible to eliminate all your scent on you and all your gear, especially in this heat and humidity, just have to play the wind and stay downwind of the deer as best you can. I would not be in the woods right now sitting without a Thermacell. Went for a little scouting walk yesterday eve between the rain storms and left the Thermacell since I would be walking and those little black mosquitos wore me out, must have about 50 bites on my head, neck, back and arms, the bugs are horrible this year!

Skyjacker

I've placed the thermacell at the bottom of my tree on two occassions and had bucks walk right by it without so much as flinching.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
if they smell it they smell you as well.

I wont hunt without it in early season and have killed or had the opportunity to kill bunches of em with it running

mossyears

Agreed...i've killed several with the thermocell pump'n. Had a young 2.5 yr old 8 at 20 yards on Friday who was definitely smelling something...i wondered if it was my thermocell and then realized i was dripping sweat all over from getting my summit 25 feet up in 75 degree weather. Keep the wind in your favor and don't worry about the thermocell

ProlineNSX

I don't know one way or the other weather deer smell them or not, But I do KNOW the dang skeeters stay clear when I use it!