Red Fox ?

I have a few red foxes behind my house in a small track of land. I see them all the time from my stand but I was wondering if they are harmful to the deer. I didn't know if they could kill fawns and if I should shoot them or not.

Philbow

I don't think deer have anything to worry about with foxes. Also the season dosen't start till 1 December.

hawgrider1200

shooting fox

I don't think deer have anything to worry about with foxes. Also the season dosen't start till 1 December.
Not only that but the game regulations prohibit shooting fox from an elevated stand and with centerfire weapons.
If they were in season u could use a bow or muzzleloader to shoot them. They have pretty hides.

jbrooker

The deer are not in trouble with the fox. Fox season starts Dec. 1 You can shoot with a 22 cal. or smaller rimfire. As far as I know the regulations do not state that you can't hunt from an elevated stand.

ylhatch

i saw a fox with a fawn in its mouth last spring while fishing.so yes they eat baby deer.

gatormeup

have seen them running deer also! never seen one to eat one, bu tthey sure were giving chase!

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Are ya`ll sure you weren`t seein` coyotes, instead of red foxes?

GAJoe

Are ya`ll sure you weren`t seein` coyotes, instead of red foxes?

I second that question. A new-born fawn would be bigger than a fox.

squirrelhunter912

I don't know about deer but they WILL do a number on your turkey and small game like squirrels and some birds

Zeus01

I have called in pairs of fox more than once useing a fawn distress. I once called a doe and two fox in at the same time. The doe charged the fox and chased them out of my sight.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
It is not illegal to hunt them from elevated stands.

T

I would not really worry about the foxes and the deer. The only way I see a fox eating a deer is if the deer had an injury or something.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I don`t think a deer has anything to worry about with a 10 pound fox, and I would love to see one jump on a big wild turkey gobbler. Foxes are more in tune with mice, rats, and rabbits.