Check out this broad head test.

brkbowma

Very informative but I can't believe he didn't shot a Muzzy!

Apex Predator

Muzzys are outdated and old fashioned. Didn't you know that? Most have to have the latest and greatest, even though you still can't buy a modular broadhead any better than a Muzzy. The one thing newbies can take away from this one, is there is no reason to shoot any broadhead with moving parts. Tune your bow, and shoot a real broadhead! Everything in life doesn't have a viable shortcut.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Now while I could argue that nothing on a deer remotely resembles a steel barrel.... this test does highlight the durability of certain fixed-blade heads and the lack thereof in ALL mechanicals.

Shoulder? Bone? Pass-thru into rocky ground? You've just ruined your $12 mechanical head.

schreck_1

...there is no reason to shoot any broadhead with moving parts. Tune your bow, and shoot a real broadhead! Everything in life doesn't have a viable shortcut.

X2 The more complicated you make your setup, the more likely something will fail. Fixed blade heads have been used successfully for THOUSANDS of years.

Keep your punch-cutter knockoffs on the shelf.:rofl:

1shot1kill

Rage still intact!!

ummmmm....just shot one sunday afternoon through both shoulder blades....rage still intact!!!

MCNASTY

I think the guy was thinkin that the barrel was more like the knuckle in the shoulder?--IDK? But the fixed blades do hold up better than mechanicals on this test, but due to the pics Ive seen from the rage it does an awesome job/i have killed a deer with it did fine(went in at a hard quartering shot and came out after the deer ran 30yds or so)---although that clip from the bloodrunner on the other thread is interestin---im eager to try my bloodrunners after that. And I was also kinda wonderin why the muzzy wasnt tested?

Man I have alot better things to do than stand around and shoot a rusty barrel. When deer get that tough I will go back to fishing full time. Just shoot what you like and confidence in :huh:

Booner Killa

Man, some of you fellas would argue with a stinkin brick wall. Nobody said anything about any broadhead. The test doesn't lie. Nobody said RAGE wouldn't kill a deer.....it's pretty evident that it won't go through a barrel though. There is your penetration answer as well. Yea, if you shoot em through both lungs and don't hit anything other than soft lung/heart tissue, any broadhead on the market will go through a deer like hot butter shot out of today's bows. However, if you hit shoulder blade, you might have a penetration issue!!! That was a pretty good video right there. Hard to argue with that!!!! Glad I shoot tricks!!!!

01Foreman400

Staff member
I shoot Magnus Stingers and would love to see how they would do as well.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
ummmmm....just shot one sunday afternoon through both shoulder blades....rage still intact!!!

I gotta call Edited to Remove Profanity ----Edited to Remove Profanity ---- on that one. You might have shot the deer in the shoulder, and it might have passed through... but if you truly shot a Rage (or just about any broadhead) through BOTH shoulder blades (scapula) it ain't gonna be "still intact."

Hey, I got edited but I promise I didn't curse.

Last edited:

matthewsman

good point...

Muzzys are outdated and old fashioned. Didn't you know that? Most have to have the latest and greatest, even though you still can't buy a modular broadhead any better than a Muzzy. The one thing newbies can take away from this one, is there is no reason to shoot any broadhead with moving parts. Tune your bow, and shoot a real broadhead! Everything in life doesn't have a viable shortcut.

Guess we should go back to stone points..;)

matthewsman

impressive test

But not similar to hunting conditions....:rofl:If I were hunting steel barrels,I would definately choose a solid ferruled fixed blade broadhead.If I were only shooting a compound at only 281 fps,or traditional equipment,I would prolly shoot muzzy 3 blades all else considered...My son shoots 90 gr,I think,muzzy 4 blades...That's because he's only shooting a little over 40#s and 204 fps.

Although my bow is well tuned,I still choose to shoot mechanicals on deer and hog sized big game...If I were hunting Africa I would shoot solid broadheads because of the closer proximity of the shoulders over the vitals of most plains game.

Here with the kinetic energy and the speed I shoot,I opt for the larger would channel afforded by rage 2 blades....

Just my choice,and I can assure you it's based on plenty of experience.....And not on "rusty barrels";)