Favorite Hunting Pistol Caliber

ATLRoach

Okay since I'm building a new pistol, I'm racking my brain on all the different calibers of pistols. What is your favorite hunting pistol round and why?

deerslayer357

.44 mag

killitgrillit

44 mag 240gr HP/XTP

Inthegarge

I hunted for years with a Ruger Blackhawk 44mag with a Burris 4X scope. It was deadly....Killed deer, bear, hog and snakes...not much snake left to eat thou......To bad I can't hold one steady now. Sure miss it......RW

pnome

UMMM.....WHY? Why do you folks like these cartridges?

Well, the .44 mag has plenty of power. Not too much recoil, and ammo is pretty readily available. Wide verity too.

I've shot that s&w .460 too. Very nice, but ammo is not as widely available.

HandgunHTR

Steelringin' Mod
Come on Mike! Others may wanna know.

Well, since you asked.

I am partial to the JDJ cartridges based on the .225 Winchester case.

Lost of range and very little recoil. My personal preference is the 6.5JDJ. I can push a 120 grain bullet at right around 2400fps. That makes it a legit 300 yard handgun.

If I had to go with a true "handgun" cartridge, I would say the .357 Maximum is hard to beat. Energy on par with a .41 Mag with better velocity and the ability to use .35 caliber spitzer bullets if you chamber a single-shot gun in the Max.

So, there you go.

Since I know you are getting a Contender frame, the possibilities are wide open.

My suggestion would be to go to the MGM website and click on the "Available Chamberings" link. Take a look at what they have to offer. You might find something that peaks your interest.

deerslayer357

well, I like the 44mag because I know it has enough power and hunting bullets are easily accessible. I started with a 357mag and I had a hard time finding bullets designed to hunt with since I don't reload my own. I killed 2 deer with the 357mag, but neither left a good blood trail.
I haven't gotten into the contenders, so I'm stuck with normal handgun chamberings in revolvers, and of those, I'll take the 44.

Washington95

I lucked into a used TC Contender in 35 Rem. I've mentioned it before here but this thing shoots great. Pistol is much better than shooter, but I have shot 2 inch, three shot groups at 100 yds. For me that is great; can't do it all the time though. Shoot Winchester
200 gr power points, #X35R1, and Hornady Leverevolution 200 gr.
Off bags to zero/check.

jkoch

Gone But Not Forgotten
TC Contender in 7-30 Waters.

olchevy

S&W 686 .357, I know there are better out there but its all we got highpower pistol wise and it works, you just have to be more paitient and pass up shots you might take with other calibers.