I Need Your Help

I shot a couple 09' bows the other day, and I am retiring my rifle and going to bow hunt for good now. But, i am new to the archery world and have no bias towards any manufacture whatsoever. I need your help

i cant afford a brand new set up, so I have looking for a used complete package that I can start out with, but one that will last me a while...

I am looking at:

2008 BT 101st Airbone
2008 BT General
2009 PSE Omen

any other suggestions? and why one over the other?

NICK_BOWHUNTER

Honestly thats a tough question to answer, every bow feels different in every persons hands, all the bows you listed are good bows, but one may be better for you and one thats fits someone else great may not work for you. Best advice i could offer decide what you want out of a bow, look and those bows that fit that description, shoot as many as you can and buy the one that shoots the best in your hands, you will be much happier in the long run, doing it this way, in 2010 when the new bows come out and the new hype everyone starts ranting about you will still be perfectly content with your setup.

The Arrow Guru

The only advise I would give is..........

I would not lean towards the Omen, not because it isn't a good bow, it's a fine bow. However is has an extremely short brace height, and that can make it a little touchy to shoot. I do not care what the bow companies tell you about it being forgiving, when you start making the trip on the short side of a 7" brace height, you are getting into unforgiving setups. Speed is nice to have but is not nearly important as you are led to believe by ads and bow companies. If you can shoot a hunting weight arrow, which in my opinion between 380 and 420 grains around the 280 fps mark you are going to be good. Look at all the hunting models from Hoyt, Bowtech, PSE, and mathews that have an axle to axle of about 33" or more, stick to a brace height in the 7" or more. Then go by simply the bow that just felt right when you shot it. Good luck.

dmedd

I would not lean towards the Omen, not because it isn't a good bow, it's a fine bow. However is has an extremely short brace height, and that can make it a little touchy to shoot. I do not care what the bow companies tell you about it being forgiving, when you start making the trip on the short side of a 7" brace height, you are getting into unforgiving setups. Speed is nice to have but is not nearly important as you are led to believe by ads and bow companies. If you can shoot a hunting weight arrow, which in my opinion between 380 and 420 grains around the 280 fps mark you are going to be good. Look at all the hunting models from Hoyt, Bowtech, PSE, and mathews that have an axle to axle of about 33" or more, stick to a brace height in the 7" or more. Then go by simply the bow that just felt right when you shot it. Good luck.

I agree 100%! Shoot all of the bows you can that fit in these specs and let the bow choose you. You'll know the right bow for you when you shoot it. Good luck and welcome to the addiction!:cheers:

Hey Guys,

thanks for all the suggestions.... I spent a week in and out of the shop, tried dozens of bows and I made my purchase this evening. I was looking at several aspects, including overall feel, noise, vibration, IBO speed and so on, and I went with a brand new bow opposed to buying a used one.

I purchased a 2009 Diamond Marquis! This bow, to me, shot as good as, if not better, than bows that were MSRP hundreds more.

I will post pictures of my first deer saturday, bout lunchtime!