Open sights, sighting in - yeah, I'm a rook

Da Butcher

I have a TC Omega I bought last season and I fired it one time at an upside down plastic flower pot from about 25 yards with open sights. It hit what I would consider a kill area out of the box. My questions is, if I'm hunting primarily thick stuff where my longest shot is say 40 yards max, should I just stick with the fiber optic iron sights? Would a scope be helpful or just get in the way? I would at some point like to put a scope on it. Finally, I need to shoot this gun to make sure I'm comfortable with my accuracy and kill range. Anybody have any suggestions on places to shoot BP in the N. Atlanta area? Thanks

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I've killed a lot of deer with an iron sighted side-lock muzzleloader, a scope would just be an aggravation in most of the places I hunt. Plus, scopes and blackpowder just don't mix for me. My hunting buddy has an inline with a scope, and loves it. It's just whatever feels right to you, it'll work either way.

try wilson shoals wma range good place to shoot. range officers are there so it's a whole lot safer.ya shoot for about 20 min. then its cold range,let's everybody check targets or put up new ones,very friendly folks shoot there to. no riff raff. i shoot my flintlock there about once a month or so.

howl

Banned
A good scope will allow you to shoot after the fiber optics have gone dim. If you don't hunt that long, then I wouldn't bother with a scope.