PDA

View Full Version : coyote in backyard

mwilli24
09-30-2009, 12:31 AM
looked outside and 5 yards from back porch sat this guy. live in gwinnett in a neighborhood. not any woods around. Anyone got a coyote trap for sale or what would yall reccomend?

adarby84
09-30-2009, 05:11 PM
suppressed .22 would work well. or a bow

Throwback
10-01-2009, 09:35 PM
YOu could try a live trap. That's what I'd recommend since you're in a neighborhood, but you'll likely catch all the pets in the area, 100 possums and a dozen coons before you caught him. Just shoot it with a .22 next time you see it . IF you don't get a good shot just put lead in him it'll eventually take it out--just make sure it's a safe shot as far as people/houses go.

T

TBurnham
10-02-2009, 04:29 AM
Im with the suppressed 22!! Just make a SAFE shot!!

pmi_man
10-02-2009, 10:58 AM
*theoretically* if there are no neighbor cats or dogs or any pets that roam arround that neighborhood you could put out some meat and poisn it, but check your local laws beforehand.

Throwback
10-02-2009, 11:36 AM
*theoretically* if there are no neighbor cats or dogs or any pets that roam arround that neighborhood you could put out some meat and poisn it, but check your local laws beforehand.

It's not the local laws you need to be concerned about it's the state law against poisioning wildlife and the federal laws regarding using whatever you poison them with in an improper manner. ;)

T

paratrooper202
10-02-2009, 11:54 AM

Are you the guy that TELLS EVERYONE to do that???:mad: You have no respect for LIFE.... The guy needs to trap or shoot it.

redlevel
10-02-2009, 03:37 PM
It's not the local laws you need to be concerned about it's the state law against poisioning wildlife and the federal laws regarding using whatever you poison them with in an improper manner. ;)

T

You mean I'm not supposed to use Temik hamburger anymore?:huh:

pmi_man
10-05-2009, 11:07 AM
Are you the guy that TELLS EVERYONE to do that???:mad: You have no respect for LIFE.... The guy needs to trap or shoot it.

no, i believe this is the first time i suggested it. take a chill pil::ke:. yes shooting it would be more ethical and i would much rather him do that, but due to the situation i was just suggesting that. im sorry but i would rather that yote have a slow painful death and save other game than just let that thing walk and kill whatever it pleases.

jicard3
10-07-2009, 12:48 PM
If you are in Gwinnett in a neighborhood maybe it would be safer for everybody if you just called animal control and let them deal with it. It could be considered a threat to the neighborhood pets right? I'm sure they would come trap it.

Throwback
10-07-2009, 01:35 PM
If you are in Gwinnett in a neighborhood maybe it would be safer for everybody if you just called animal control and let them deal with it. It could be considered a threat to the neighborhood pets right? I'm sure they would come trap it.

Most if not all animal control agencies only handle domestic animal problems.

T

NickW
10-07-2009, 03:37 PM
Not sure what area of Gwinnett you are, but saw one two days ago off Centerville-Rosebud near where I live. It is the third I have seen in a year. The first one, my labs jumped in the park. They wanted to play with it but the coyote would have none of that and ran straight back towards me, brushing my leg as it went by. Labs just looked at it and wagged their tails.:huh:

Nick

Firenatine88
10-07-2009, 07:42 PM
Is a surppressed 22 even legal? lol

bow-boy
10-08-2009, 12:13 AM
no, i believe this is the first time i suggested it. take a chill pil::ke:. yes shooting it would be more ethical and i would much rather him do that, but due to the situation i was just suggesting that. im sorry but i would rather that yote have a slow painful death and save other game than just let that thing walk and kill whatever it pleases.

But what happens when a buzzard or any other animal wants to munch on that dead, Poisened coyote?
They die also. Due to the poisen.

Dakotaman
10-28-2009, 09:22 PM
I wouldn't worry about it. It looks like a young pup out exploring. Unless he found lots of juicy food, he won't hang around your back yard for long.

chainshaw
10-28-2009, 09:40 PM
Is a surppressed 22 even legal? lol

To own one in Georgia, sure. To shoot one inside of the city limits, not so much.

deerhunter09
10-29-2009, 09:15 AM
I wouldn't worry about it, I doubt you'll see it again. They are nothing to be afraid of.

Longstreet1
10-29-2009, 05:46 PM
Looks like he just wants to be your pet.

bfriendly
10-31-2009, 04:16 PM
no, i believe this is the first time i suggested it. take a chill pil. yes shooting it would be more ethical and i would much rather him do that, but due to the situation i was just suggesting that. im sorry but i would rather that yote have a slow painful death and save other game than just let that thing walk and kill whatever it pleases.
Dont get all poofed up.........someone always recommends poisoning when trying to get rid of a Varmint........it is NEVER a good idea, unless you are talking rats or the like.

To be honest, when I saw your post about poisoning, I was wondering the same thing, Are you the guy that TELLS EVERYONE to do that??? You have no respect for LIFE.... The guy needs to trap or shoot it.

greg@teamlivewire
11-03-2009, 01:07 AM
We are licensed wildlife trappers in Gwinnett. Mostly squirrels, raccoons, rodents, birds, bats, and opossums. I've live trapped for over 25 years and have very experienced technicians trapping. We're starting to do more and more with yotes in the area. www.GaPestPro.com. Drop us a line. Greg

sfretwell
11-03-2009, 01:12 AM
looked outside and 5 yards from back porch sat this guy. live in gwinnett in a neighborhood. not any woods around. Anyone got a coyote trap for sale or what would yall reccomend?

Looks like a fox to me ... in any event ... high-powered pellet gun should do the trick.

Chris S.
11-03-2009, 01:34 AM
Fox

SuburbanShooter
11-03-2009, 10:16 AM
from my understanding you cannot legally possess ANY silencer for any firearm in GA without buying an approved tax stamp which is $200. Federal law has made silencers illegal wihtout the proper FFL license.

DROPPINEM
11-03-2009, 04:05 PM
Dont get all poofed up.........someone always recommends poisoning when trying to get rid of a Varmint........it is NEVER a good idea, unless you are talking rats or the like.

To be honest, when I saw your post about poisoning, I was wondering the same thing,

But rats are wildlife too!!::ke:

Henpecked
11-03-2009, 04:38 PM
But what happens when a buzzard or any other animal wants to munch on that dead, Poisened coyote?
They die also. Due to the poisen.

Depends entirely on the type of poisOn you use. I don't see where the little fella poses a threat. They should leave him be, imo.

whitworth
11-04-2009, 03:34 PM
for the foreclosure sales at the beginning of the month.

chadf
11-04-2009, 03:40 PM
Kill them all !!!

mwilli24
11-05-2009, 01:05 AM
seen him 3 times since i think someone is feeding it for it staying in the area and it actually came at my dog the other day and trust me when i say its not a fox its def a coyote was 8 ft from him.

Random1
11-10-2009, 11:17 PM
Where in gwinnett (if you don't mind me asking)

mwilli24
11-13-2009, 02:17 AM
near the kroger

deerslayer357
11-13-2009, 11:14 AM
I've been shooting squirrels that were getting in my attic in downtown Athens for 2 months now without a problem. Shoot him in the head with a .22 short or either with one of those .22 LR CB's. the .22 shorts are what I'm using and they will do the job, but the 22 lr CB's are supposed to be quieter than a normal 22. don't even need a supressor, just be safe and you should be fine.

DeltaHalo
11-17-2009, 01:33 PM
from my understanding you cannot legally possess ANY silencer for any firearm in GA without buying an approved tax stamp which is $200. Federal law has made silencers illegal wihtout the proper FFL license.

The suppressor itself is not illegal! If you want one, you have to apply for a federal tax stamp which costs $200. Then you can buy your suppressor through a registered Class III FFL dealer. I think our local EXPERT on this issue would be (BookHound), Mark at Polite Society.
As far as taking game animals with a suppressed weapon, I do not believe that is legal, but, I am no expert on this issue.

As far as the varmint in the backyard, take a .22 to him!

ch035
11-17-2009, 02:47 PM
nice grass! man i wish mine looked like that. anyway... that it a pup. I wouldn't worry about it unless you have a small animal or a baby you let play outside. The easiest thing to do would be to pop him with a CB 22 short or something quiet. Traps will get everything else but him, dont put out poison or broken glass laden food either that is wrong. If you are worried about things walking in to your yard build a fence. If you think this is the only one that lives near you...you are sadly mistaken. They are everywhere and they do kill small animals, young game, and can hurt small children. If you feel the need I would shoot it with a bow. No noise and it would certainly do the trick without shooting a firearm in city limits.

grn518
11-18-2009, 11:48 AM
Get the .22 CB long , made by CCI. It's nice and quiet, and good for about 30yds before it starts to drop fast.

Gunsmoke
11-25-2009, 10:37 AM
beleive it or not about 3 weeks ago in Paulding county I had a young coyote walk out of the woods and come over to me and sniff my hand and walk back into the woods.It was in a semi residential area and I think he was used to humans.

Bkeepr
11-29-2009, 11:35 AM
I live in Gwinnett county too, across from the fairgrounds so I am right around the corner from you. You can get Have-a-Heart traps from the pound, you just have to leave a $25 deposit at least that's the way it was several years ago.
We had a yote that would fence-fight with my dogs. Never caught him. His whole family would yammer when an ambulance went by. I guess heartworm took care of them all.

Alan in GA
11-29-2009, 12:27 PM
Looks like he just wants to be your pet.

Looks like he just wants to eat your pet.

jharpo711
12-13-2009, 12:12 AM
You will probly never see it again, but if you do and your a good shot, take a head shot.

Steve762us
12-13-2009, 01:01 AM
Get the .22 CB long , made by CCI. It's nice and quiet, and good for about 30yds before it starts to drop fast.

The CCI CB rounds are quieter than standard .22 shorts, Remington Subsonics, and Aguila Colibri's...I tried all of `em. The CB's won't cycle a semi action, but will feed thru it fine, manually. They really do sound comparable to a .22 pellet gun.

My local Walmart carries the CB short version. I fashioned a wooden insert for a 10-22 mag that lets the shorts feed thru the mag nicely.