Cohutta Road Closings

MCBUCK

In the Dalton paper yesterday there was a brief article noting a road closing in Cohutta WMA. The road listed was USFS 51, which is the access road to the Jigger Ceek area and also the access for the trailheads to: Rice Camps, East Cowpen, and the northern trailhead of Hickory Creek. The Forestry Svc. is supposed to be working on this problem to have it corrected. The road had flooded at Jigger Creek during recent heavy rains and had to be closed. This really messed me up because Jigger Creek/Thomas Creek area is exactly where I wanted to hunt:banginghe:banginghe
USFS 51 is the road that turns south at the Cottonwood Fields
As soon as I get more information I will be sure to post it.
But as of present this is the only road closing that I know of.

xhunterx

thanks mcbuck, thats good info to have before a drive out there. i'm planning on hunting south end of area

earl

Banned
I forget exactly how to find the page but you can also find road closings on the DNR site. USFS also has closings for National Forest but I am not sure how current they are .

MCBUCK

Well, I will be honest with y'all about Cohutta : I amnot real sure how current this information is. I may try to ride over there tommorow afternoon ( I'll be in Cisco anyway) and see how current this ionformation is. But at last report from the DNR to the Dalton Daily Citizen ( what a rag) USFS Rd 51 was in fact closed at Jigger Creek. That would in effect shut off a large portion to wilderness area trail access from the north end. Lot of walking if you want to get into the wilderness from the northsideif they don't get this road open. Unless you are a man and drop off Chicken Coop Gap:hair:
( Been there and done that, got the t-shirt, can show you the scars, and was institutionalized for doing it:biggrin2:

Last edited:

Alaska

Oh no I hunt between hickory and thomas creek each year. hope its fixed by Wed. evening. Man enough to go down the "slide" just not man enough to come back up with game in tow (if I was to even be lucky enough to get game)

MCBUCK

Oh no I hunt between hickory and thomas creek each year. hope its fixed by Wed. evening. Man enough to go down the "slide" just not man enough to come back up with game in tow (if I was to even be lucky enough to get game)

Oh , I have been back up it...but that was 15 years and 40 pounds ago:biggrin2:

Looks like I may be relegated to Lackey Knob or maybe Nebo.

N

newmoon

How is the road from holly creek check in station from eton or 52 going toward conasauga and the horse pen camp site on the right fork of the road on the river. thanks newmoon

MCBUCK

How is the road from holly creek check in station from eton or 52 going toward conasauga and the horse pen camp site on the right fork of the road on the river. thanks newmoon

? Are you talking about Cottonwood Patch :huh:

MCBUCK

OK...I just got back from Jacks River area and USFS Rd. #51 is in fact closed. All other roads into the area are fine for travel other than the required Grassy potholes. It appeared that West Cow Pen was in good shape with some folks traveling it and thea may be the best bet to access the northern part of the wilderness. If I find out about any road repairs I will be sure to post it ASAP. I would be willing to wager that 51 will not be repaired before Thursday though.

On a positive note : I was seeing some color woods and there was a distinct crispness on the air. The feeling of fall was definitely in the air.
I guess if you're lucky enough to be in the mountains, then you are lucky enough.

Alaska

MCBUCK

I am sure I speak for all that may use that area , we appreciate your posts and efforts in providing current information!!

MCBUCK

Welcome. Anything I can do to help anyone out. Just shoot me a PM if y'all need to know anything.

N

newmoon

I am not schooled on the area as far as named areas but the road I mean gos from the holly creek check station and forks at the top of the mountain conasauga to the left and I think it jacks river to the right. sorry for being such a dummy about the named areas I just know a few places I like to hunt but never learned the names. thanks alan

Alaska

I am not schooled on the area as far as named areas but the road I mean gos from the holly creek check station and forks at the top of the mountain conasauga to the left and I think it jacks river to the right. sorry for being such a dummy about the named areas I just know a few places I like to hunt but never learned the names. thanks alan

That road is not in question . All should be fine there! The closed rd is futher north and leads to the Rice camp TH

N

newmoon

Thanks now I can just skip fort mountain and go in from eton save an hour ride over the mountain. newmoon