Lookin good for spring

I tend to believe gobbling and breeding habits are tied to photoperiod. With that in mind, I'll bet turks have a kind of "false rut" about this time of year when day length is near what it is at breeding time. :banginghe

With that said, it sure was nice to watch a longbeard roll out 3 full gobbles last weekend. He appeared with 4 other LB's and 8 hens. I watched them strut and chase hens around for a solid half hour before splitting up into seperate groups. :fine:

Great to see, I had only seen 1 longbeard in 4 years on our lease. That combined with a cattle farmer report of seeing a flock of 40+ about 5 weeks ago on our place has me ready for spring. :shoot:

Echo

Gone But Not Forgotten
That sounds good,Gobblestopper!I had a nice flock fly down around me last week on a tract that I'd never heard a gobble on before.Funny how something like that can start you thinking about the last week in March instead of the rather urgent business at hand!:D

Echo

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
GS, Always cool to hear a gobble this time of year (seems so rare). Me and Andy heard one on opening day of bow season, other than that I think it has been 8 years or so since I heard one during the fall and that was crazy cause it was a cold November morning and this one let out about 10:)

Gotta love it.

Jim

Gadget

I've only heard one gobble in the fall two or three times; always just one bird. The last time was a couple of years ago.

smitty

Had a group of 5 toms Tues am gobble on the roost several times,after getting down they sat and ate white oak acorns and strutted for an hour before moving on .Thats 3 flocks of gobblers I've seen on different tracts we have,all with beards of 6 inches or better. :bounce: