PDA

View Full Version : It's official, bowhunters no longer own the woods

LanceColeman
10-11-2009, 11:09 PM
Welp! Smoke pole came in with a bang this weekend. Took the lil wife yesterday hoping to put one in front of her. No luck. Went out this evening after Church and tried my luck. I have "Another" side of the traditional" bug I got bit with this past summer Flint locks. I was itching to try it out. My cameras broke (new one gets here tomorrow (YAY!) so all I had was my cell phone cam.

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z285/lancecoleman/stoned.jpg

My game plan is all flintlock hunting is done from ther ground. With my priorities being close range, closer range, wind direction and set up.

I want to keep it this way and learn. and hopefully the training of close range ground hunting with a flint lock will eventually lead up to my goal. In 5yrs I want to be as succesful with my recurve on the ground as I am with it sitting in a tree. I'm using the smoke pole as a training aid of sorts. It's only a 45 cal. And I shoot roundballs so my shot placement is real critical.

ChrisSpikes
10-11-2009, 11:15 PM
Lance, was this one close enough to kill with your bow?

bownarrow
10-11-2009, 11:18 PM
cool gun Lance. Is it a DGW ? Gettin a good hot spark every time from a flinter can sometimes take just as much tuning as some bows

dm/wolfskin
10-11-2009, 11:18 PM
Good going Lance. Yes the those roundballs just punch a hole through em. Pigs are fun to pop with them too. I've got a TC .54cal but with a cap. Mike

SOS
10-11-2009, 11:28 PM
Yikes, what a hole....sure it wasn't a .69 cal Brown Bess?

BOFF
10-12-2009, 12:07 AM
I can't tell, but was that deer taken from an elevated stand? It looks like an exit hole, and on the bottom?

Regardless, CONGRATS!!

New hobbies are addicting!! Glad to see you combining it with the archery.

LanceColeman
10-12-2009, 09:49 AM
Chris,

I got there Late. Had two yearlings beneath the tree when I got there. I slipped down the creek and tried to stalk them. Got to within 40yds but couldn't get broadside and clear (brush and undergrowth) Almost had one dead to rights and the other one busted me and high tailed it out. I got set up behind my "umbrella" against a redoak 25yds from the feed tree and waited.

45 minutes later, I see deer 40yds to my left. So I get the barrel (which is a 48" long Rice barrel!! NOT an easy rifle to swing and manuever!) around the tree in front of me and the yearling starts coming down the trail besdie me towards the feed tree. I almost shoot it at 20yds but see it's mom 40yds farther down the hill in Laurels. So I wait and let the yearling walk past me at 15yds (so yes it was well within bow range) And go under the feed tree. I had just got finished tellin God I'd quit being picky and take the next opportunity he gave me and here I am letting that opportunity walk by me. I waiting 20 minutes on mamma to come out and I never saw her again. By this time "you said you'd take the next opportunity!" is ringing loud in my head and I look and the yearling is starting to feed off in the direction I'm sure it's mom went.

So as soon as it got broadside I shot it. Shot distance was around 40yds. But I had the deer at 20-25yds for a good 20 minutes feeding under the tree not to mention it's initial walk pass me at 15.

SOS,
Nope just a 45. neat thing about roundballs is they soft lead. They mushroom up big time. I can place 3 of 3 in good sunshine in a 2" circle at 70yds with that rifle (it's accuracy is scarey) But with it only being a 45 cal to me it's like shooting deer with a 40# recurve. I gotta be close (won't shoot one over 50yds with it and I truly WANT and am striving for them all to be in bowrange) And I gotta be darn sure my shot placement is exact. It's either double lung or a broken neck if it's under 30 and no other shot will do for me.
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z285/lancecoleman/flinter.jpg

DM.

I gotta 54 capper as well. Gonna use it some too. Thing is the roundball out of that hussy isn't as critical and I'm worried it won't make me be as disciplined and finicky. You whack sumpin with a 54 roundball and it's kersplat!! critter DRT!

Boff,

Entrance is maybe (MAYBE) an inch higher than exit. I was in the mountains. I'm sitting uphill from the feed tree. There may have been maybe 10-12 feet elevation difference in me and the deer. Thats what caught me off guard. I was expecting them to come down the creek so I set up for the right wind direction and draft off the creek above the whiteaok on the hill side. They actually came across the hill angling from above me. Fortunately I had the wind direction right. I just had where the deer were gonna come from wrong.

Joel,

Billy Harkins up Blairsville made that rifle. Me and Billy hog hunt together. He's been building flinters and collecting them for a long long time. He's big in to Gillespie rifles. One of the Gillespie gunsmiths immigrated to Union county in the mid 1800s. (John Gillespie) Billy has found and owns several original Gillespies. He found one made in 1862 that was so far beyond repair or restoration is was useless. So he took the measurements off that original rifle as the blue print and built a rifle around it's exact measurements. salvaged the trigger guard and butt plate off that original and put them on the exact scale replica he was building. THIS is that rifle. It has a L&R manton Lock, a davis #4 double trigger with the front set at 2.5#s, a 48" long ol man LC Rice barrel, and about the sweetest sites I've ever gazed down. The gun is a pure joy to shoot and when ya walk the mts. with them to original peices of metal on it?? You just KNOW it's not the first time those two pieces of metal have been toted through the mountains.
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z285/lancecoleman/spotlancewaterfalls.jpg

BOFF
10-12-2009, 10:05 AM
Wait a minute,
Those pictures weren't there a minute ago.

Great pics and scenery!!!!! The Flintlock has some pretty wood!!!!

Regardless, Lance,

Ya think the lady, whose garden and flowers are being the country buffet for the deer, will be able to distinguish between the sound of a flintlock and bow? :bounce:

LanceColeman
10-12-2009, 10:20 AM
HA!! I hunted there fri. evening Boff. Saw a couple does and a yearling or three. never gotta shot. Found out at Church Sunday morning that her dad was coming down to "thin" the deer population out. To me that sounds like a good way to mess up a nice quiet little bow spot. So I sorta decided after that I would just steer clear of that place. Shame too as it was chocked full of deer.

Don't want no family altercations and in my honest opinion?? sounds like he's gonna bang em and that place is not big enough for two hunters and definately not big enough for a gun. So I'll just stick to my normal haunts.

BTW Boff thats North Georgia at it's finest bro. May not be the easiest terrain in the world to hunt. But it just quite possibly could be the prettiest.
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z285/lancecoleman/mtview.jpg

BOFF
10-12-2009, 10:51 AM
HA!! I hunted there fri. evening Boff. Saw a couple does and a yearling or three. never gotta shot. Found out at Church Sunday morning that her dad was coming down to "thin" the deer population out. To me that sounds like a good way to mess up a nice quiet little bow spot. So I sorta decided after that I would just steer clear of that place. Shame too as it was chocked full of deer.

Don't want no family altercations and in my honest opinion?? sounds like he's gonna bang em and that place is not big enough for two hunters and definitely not big enough for a gun. So I'll just stick to my normal haunts.

BTW Boff that's North Georgia at it's finest bro. May not be the easiest terrain in the world to hunt. But it just quite possibly could be the prettiest.
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z285/lancecoleman/mtview.jpg

Gotta agree with the beauty of Georgia. Never had the privilege of hunting there yet, but one day.

Lance,

Here's some food to chew on.

Give it some time, as if her dad has to come down, it may be an inconvenience to him, and he won't be able to hunt often. Just inform the lady, you don't want to intrude, and want him to have an opportunity to hunt first. Heck, even offer to help him with cleaning/processing the deer. You may find out he's a traditional archer, or even start him in traditional archery.

IT COULD, be your next best hunting buddy, or IT COULD, be someone you don't have a thing in common with at all.

You might learn some things from him, if he's an older woodsman. He might be a crack shot with an older single shot 22 rifle that only shoots at deer at 15 yards or less in the ear. (Yeah, I know it's not legal, and I'm not promoting it, just looking at all the possibilities). You won't know if you don't meet him.

It's in your plate, as to how you eat it. ;)

I'm just saying, as it seems to be your nature, make the most out of it. As you have found out, you'll usually be rewarded with something if you put something into it. I hate to see you already spent, what, over a year to have access to the place, which reads like a great honey hole, only to give it up. Those places are getting harder to find. :(

God Bless,
David B.

bobman
10-12-2009, 11:04 AM
Nice thread

nice pictures I enjoyed them, also enjoyed your take on things being a longbow guy myself

can I ask why you tote that big pack with you?

thanks

Bob

BOFF
10-12-2009, 11:09 AM
Nice thread

nice pictures I enjoyed them, also enjoyed your take on things being a longbow guy myself

can I ask why you tote that big pack with you?

thanks

Bob

Bob,

He's just keeping in shape to be able to haul a deer out. Figures if he wears it all the time, he won't notice a deer on his back. :bounce:

WPTC
10-12-2009, 11:13 AM
You pose well:rofl:...kinda like hunter haven looking up at his buck...:rofl:::ke::rofl:

Congrats on the fine kill

ChrisSpikes
10-12-2009, 11:49 AM
Lance, I haven't burnt powder to kill a deer in a long time, but you're makin' me reconsider! THAT is how I'd want to do it!! That rifle is too cool!

LanceColeman
10-12-2009, 12:03 PM
Bob,

Wife was with me that day. Thats my hunting partner. When she goes with me?? I carry the big pack. It's usually a long day and she likes things like...... food, drink, a warm dry set of clothes, cameras (she's big in to photography hence the pose there WPTC, she's always got a camera in her hand and taking pics).etc, etc, what ever she deems I need to carry for her. Doesn't matter to me. I'll tote the kitchen sink if it's what keeps her in the woods with me. And yes I use it to carry game out as well on deep hunts.

Boff,

Met him already. Extremely nice guy. we get along good. We aint gonna hunt together though. Very sociable, very likeable, easy to talk to ol gent. He'll only hunt until around turkey day. I'll give it a late season bow go around december time.

Other than my wife and the occasional 1-4 day gathering I'm not much on hunting partners. I like to take guys on hunts, I like to go hunting with people on occasions. But as far as a permanent almost every time I go they go with me hunting partner?? nah no thanks man. Been there done that got the T-shirtS. I hunt solo or I guide the wife.

AliBubba
10-12-2009, 12:18 PM
Nice job Lance. I have hunted around Hogpen, FS 442 (Raven Cliffs) - its hard going but beautiful.

BOFF
10-12-2009, 12:18 PM
Bob,

Wife was with me that day. Thats my hunting partner. When she goes with me?? I carry the big pack. It's usually a long day and she likes things like...... food, drink, a warm dry set of clothes, cameras (she's big in to photography hence the pose there WPTC, she's always got a camera in her hand and taking pics).etc, etc, what ever she deems I need to carry for her. Doesn't matter to me. I'll tote the kitchen sink if it's what keeps her in the woods with me. And yes I use it to carry game out as well on deep hunts.

Boff,

Met him already. Extremely nice guy. we get along good. We aint gonna hunt together though. Very sociable, very likeable, easy to talk to ol gent. He'll only hunt until around turkey day. I'll give it a late season bow go around december time.

Other than my wife and the occasional 1-4 day gathering I'm not much on hunting partners. I like to take guys on hunts, I like to go hunting with people on occasions. But as far as a permanent almost every time I go they go with me hunting partner?? nah no thanks man. Been there done that got the T-shirtS. I hunt solo or I guide the wife.

Lance,

Wasn't implying to have someone with you every time. I need the solitude of nature, and God, a lot. Helps clear the mind of everyday trash, and focus on WHAT is important.

I do tend to enjoy fellowship more that I'm older. Other people's success of a hunt, whether it killing something, or just experiencing something new/different in the woods that day, has gotten to be my success as well.

Was just thinking you hadn't met him yet, and it could be someone with the same likes/dislikes.

Enjoyed the chit chat,

Gotta get to work regardless of the rain.

God Bless,
David B.

LanceColeman
10-12-2009, 01:03 PM
Bubba,

When someone uses the term "brutal terrain" three places spring to mind. War Woman, and Raven Cliffs, and Tallulah Gorge.

Jim Thompson
10-12-2009, 02:26 PM
congrats on the freezer filler Lance!

mike bell
10-12-2009, 10:14 PM
thats cool an all, but ::ke: I hope you had your blaze orange ? Or wait. do we have to wear orange for muzzle hunting? I always thought we did......

LanceColeman
10-12-2009, 10:24 PM
Mike,

If you're talking about the pics of me in the mountains?? Those weren't taken in deer season. We were out looking for hogs last Feb. (thats why the only leaves you see on the trees are Laurels and pines). Also why there's a dog there. He likes pestering pigs.

mike bell
10-12-2009, 10:28 PM
I was just wondering, I thought maybe I was wearing orange when I didnt have to. I normally bow hunt during muzzle even though nobody is on the same property I still wear it cause I always thought I had to.

bownarrow
10-12-2009, 10:50 PM
boy, that gun's even prettier knowin it's got a bit of the past in her----something feels good about huntin with a little history in your hand. Used to hunt with a Joseph Manton shotgun till one time when money got tight, really made the hunt a little finer imagining what that gun had seen