PDA

View Full Version : Barrow County bear season

tullisfireball
10-15-2009, 11:03 PM
I saw in the regs this year where Barrow county has gotten a bear season. I have lived here since 01 and I grew up in Gwinnett, I have never heard of anyone even seeing a bear in Barrow county much less enough for a season. Has anyone on here heard of any Barrow county bears?:huh:

Bkeepr
10-17-2009, 09:07 PM
I have never heard of bears in Barrow county! I live in Gwinnett. A couple of weeks ago I found one of my beehives in the backyard flipped upside down with the lid off, but nothing else disturbed. Hmmm. This hive is unusually mean.

Cottontail
10-17-2009, 10:20 PM
Never heard of a Bear even seen in Barrow County my Family has been here for over 25 years :crazy:

Bkeepr
10-20-2009, 09:43 AM
yep I am looking at the regs, on page 6, under "Major Changes for 2009-2010".
"Northern Bear Zone Expansion: Barrow, Franklin, Hart, Jackson and Madison counties". I wonder if they meant Bartow county, not Barrow?

xhunterx
10-20-2009, 12:23 PM
they've included a lot of counties that are traditionally not bear counties. explanation i got was that the population in the mtns is expanding so much, younger males are moving out further to establish their own territories. dnr told me that they opened the season knowing some counties didn't have a huntable bear population but wanting to give a hunter the chance to harvest one if he was deer hunting and one passed by. better a hunter get it in the suburbs then have the sheriffs dept, police, dnr etc chasing it all around the neighborhoods.

gahunter12
10-20-2009, 02:48 PM
Never seen one in Barrow but a co worker of mine lives in Jefferson and his neighbor go a pic of one in his back yard back in Sept.

chiefsquirrel83
10-28-2009, 10:39 PM
barrow and jackson???? wow....i know we got hogs now but wow

droptinegirl1
10-29-2009, 02:35 PM
My great uncle had 2 cubs come out of the woods and play in his back yard one day while he was sitting on his screened in back porch about a month ago. He never saw mama bear and believe me, he was glad. He got himself a trail cam and put it up out in the woods but he hasn't got a pic yet. This is out in the boonies in Oglethorpe County. That area is nothing but woods.