Building Underground!

Fletch_W

Banned
Old plank ruins in North GA in the side of a hill...... More trivia: What was this building used for? It is built into the side of a hill, just a few feet above the floodplain.

IMG_3766.jpg

A little background-

front:
IMG_3727.jpg

back:
IMG_3728.jpg

Last edited:

drtybykr

refrigerator

Vernon Holt

Gone But Not Forgotten
Many of these underground structures were called "Storm Cellars". In event of severe thunderstorms or tornadoes, the entire family would quickly retreat to the Storm Cellar until the threat subsided.

Of course they also used the same structure to store potatoes, cabbage, turnips, and beets. The cellars had shelves on which was stored all of the canned goods which the wife had prepared.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Yep, that's a root cellar/canhouse. Got one in my yard. Every house up here used to have a couple. You can keep potatos, apples, candy roasters, canned stuff and such in there without it freezing.

allenww

Root cellars

When I moved to Cherokee Co. in the 70's, nearly every
home of any real age had a root cellar, and a field to grow
tubers and vegetables and a little corn. Until reliable electricity came, a root cellar was the best storage solution.

Subdivisions got most of them, but there are a few left.

wa

stickslinger76

Root cellar for sure. My grandmother has used one as far back as I can remember and then some. She mainly just uses it now a days to store canned goods in.