PDA

View Full Version : When deer stomp their feet ....

Nugefan
12-12-2005, 09:12 AM
is there any smell that they put out , some sort of an alert scent of some sort ??????????????

had one bust me Sat. morning at around 0715 and 45 minutes later had 1 come into same area and it thru its tail up and took off like I had shot it ....

as far as I know I hadn't even moved to alert it ....

DCHunter
12-12-2005, 09:15 AM
I've wondered the same thing. If when a deer is alerted, it leaves some kind of hormonal scent to warn the others.

Jorge
12-12-2005, 09:18 AM
In my experience, a stomp usually preceeds a blow a lot of times. From what I can tell, they see or hear something they can not identify and seen to be trying to get whatever it is to move. I had it happen to me the last 2 times I've been to the club. Yesterday morning I had 2 deer come in from directly behind me and I think the lead deer saw me move slightly and began stomping. The time before that I grunted right after I got into my stand in the morning and a deer came in stomping trying to find the source of the grunt.

bradpatt03
12-12-2005, 09:22 AM
i have always heard that when they are stomping they are releasing a scent to alert other deer...like jorge said, they almost always blow after the stomp...sometimes they will also drop their heads, as if they are calm again, and then jerk up real fast to try and bust whatever it is they cannot identify...they usually have always done it to me when they could see me, but not smell me. when they are blowing they are supposedly clearing their noses to be able to smell you.

duke13
12-12-2005, 09:22 AM
I believe they have what's called an interdigital gland between their toes that leaves a scent when they stomp.

bradpatt03
12-12-2005, 09:30 AM
also, i have had deer come into areas where deer have stomped and not spooked at all, but i would say that is the exception not the rule...usually when one stomps at me i give it up within an hour. if they just blow, no stomping...i stay put

nwgahunter
12-12-2005, 10:16 AM
I've read in the past that the glands between their toes produces a waxy secretion. When they stomp it may or may not leave a scent due to the secretion of that gland.

bradpatt03
12-12-2005, 10:18 AM
that would make more sense

Spotlite
12-12-2005, 10:27 AM
I always heard that the stomp means they know your there but they stomp to try to get you to move to pinpoint your location and the blow means they are alerting other deer. I do know that when I here the stomp or blow that Ive been busted and it usually means no deer.

R Smith
12-12-2005, 10:56 AM
Not really sure if any scent is left or not, but have seen the stomp and/or blow have different results.
While bow hunting on the ground in Heard county, I watched a group of 5 deer (3 doe, a young spike and a nice 6 point)that were about 50 yards away browsing and eating acorns. I didn't think I could get a shot off as I was out in the open, so I thought I would play with them. I hit my grunt call and one of the doe began feeding towards me and occasionally looking towards me. I was crouched with an arrow knocked, but not up or drawn. The doe came in to about 15 feet before noticing me. She stopped and stared for what seemed for ever. Then she stomped, jumped at me and finally blew at me and ran back towards the others. I was really interested in the response of the rest of the deer. They completely ignored her! I hit my grunt call again and the same doe came back to about 15 yards this time and repeated the stomping, jumping and blowing before running back. This happened 3 times before the deer finally began to feed away from me at about a 45 degree angle towards my 2 o-clock . I kept my position for a while longer and one of the doe and the 6 pt. broke off from the bunch, did a 180 and passed about 18 yard in front of me. The doe passed by and as the buck's head passed behind a large white oak, I drew and stuck him as he came back into view at apx. 16 yards.
What amazed me the most was the response to the doe the others had when doing all the things I was told were "warnings". I felt like she was being treated as "the boy who cried wolf". Only once did the other deer turn to look in my direction. The wind was in my favor and I was still.

Go figure. :huh:

MSU bowhunter
12-12-2005, 11:03 AM
I have seen a bunch of deer after getting busted by a doe blowing and or stomping. She'll run off then later on (hour or two) I may see more deer in the same area or coming from the same area.

I haven't a clue sometimes as to the lasting effects.

roadkill
12-12-2005, 12:28 PM
The morning of the day that my son killed his first deer, he shot at one with his bow. At that same time, I was about 60 yards away, watching a doe and spotted fawn. I heard the shot, and it didn't seem to bother the deer I was watching. The doe he missed, ran off opposite the direction I was in, and started blowing. The doe I was watching, quickly looked in that direction and gathered up her little one and left. About an hour later she and the little one came back and fed for an hour or so.

That afternoon, I saw a deer moving toward me, so I got up and drew my bow. As the deer came out at 10 yards, I saw her little one behind her. About the same time, she snapped her head up and looked at me. I couldn't hold the bow back very long, so I started to let it down real slow. She watched me the whole time, so I decided to try and sit down. All she did was stomp her feet and stare for at least 15 minutes. Finally, she decided I wasn't a threat and started to feed. Craziest thing I've ever seen.

spring
12-12-2005, 12:55 PM
I've seen deer stomp a gazillion times and it's usually after they have seen you in a stand but aren't quite sure what you are, though they'll do it after smelling you as well as they try to locate you. I think they are simply trying to startle you into moving so they can spot or locate the human they've detected.
It's interesting that several African animals do the same thing.

DCHunter
12-12-2005, 01:02 PM
I've seen 4 does walking right in my back yard last year in January after the season was over. I grabbed my flashlight and shined it in their eyes and started slowly walking towards them. They just stared at me (the light) till I got about 25 yards from them and then the biggest doe started stomping and snorting. She didn't run away just kept staring and as I moved in closer she just kept stomping till finally they all just kind of trotted off. But it did seem like she was just trying to get me to make a sudden movement so she could identify me.

Vernon Holt
12-12-2005, 02:48 PM
A deer "stomping" has nothing to do with leaving scent. A deer, just like any other critter leaves scent every time it takes a step irregardless if it is stomping or not.

A deer stomping has everything to do with making a sound, not for its own benefit, but for the benefit of other deer that might be within the hearing of it.

The stomp is an early warning system. The stomp is a sign that the deer is alert to something un-natural and alarming and bears further scrutiny. The alarm can be triggered by a visual object (usually a hunter), or by a very slight whiff of a questionable scent that is not sufficiently strong to cause the animal to bolt and run.

The deer will also move its head up and down while attempting to assess the danger. Don't know if this is an effort to get the object under scrutiny to move, or if it is to get a different angle of vision. Stomping itself is not an effort to get the object to move.

If the hunter is able to remain perfectly still during the staring contest, the deer will often drop its guard and carry on its previous movement. On the other hand, after the staring contest, if the deer has confirmed that danger is near, this is when you hear the snort and hear nothing except bushes crashing. When you hear the snort, the jig is up.

Seldom if ever will a buck give you the stomp. If he is alarmed, however slight, he will bolt. Stomping and staring is a doe's specialty. Reason for this being that she is almost always accompanied by fawns and/or yearlings for which she feels responsible. A buck will virtually always be alone during hunting season. He has no occasion to give the early warning sign, since he is traveling alone.

GeauxLSU
12-12-2005, 02:58 PM
Seldom if ever will a buck give you the stomp. If he is alarmed, however slight, he will bolt. Stomping and staring is a doe's specialty. Reason for this being that she is almost always accompanied by fawns and/or yearlings for which she feels responsible. A buck will virtually always be alone during hunting season. He has no occasion to give the early warning sign, since he is traveling alone.Interesting and that makes me feel a little more comfortable about the strangest 'stomping' incident I've ever had. I was in a stand that is way too exposed (no foliage around) last month. I was watching a doe, a yearling and a fawn. They were feeding through about 50-60 yards to my left in this creek bottom. Suddenly DIRECTLY under my stand but behind the tree a deer began stomping. It stomped what seemed like 100 times and it lasted well over a minute. I did not twitch a muscle or even blink. I could not see it since I was looking left at the other deer. They did not seem overly alarmed but did take notice of the first couple of stomps. When it finally stopped (after the other deer had moved slowly away) I waited a minute or two and then looked. Nothing. It slipped away dead silently. That was probably the most self control I ever had in a deer stand. I mean after about the 50th stomp I REALLY want to see that thing. I was just sure it was a 'monster buck'. ;)
Went back and checked that stand Saturday (hadn't been back since) to find a new big rub just a few yards away. :cool:

Randy
12-12-2005, 03:01 PM
Stomping and staring is a doe's specialty.

Sorry to disagree with you Mr. Vernon but stomping and staring is not limited to does....

My wife has it down pat too!

nwgahunter
12-12-2005, 03:22 PM
Sorry to disagree with you Mr. Vernon but stomping and staring is not limited to does....

I know the feeling

Hunting Teacher
12-12-2005, 03:22 PM

Randy,
I here ya!! :clap:
Mine too, when I start trying to casually mention the third hunting trip in three weekends in a row.
Teach

nwgahunter
12-12-2005, 03:24 PM
The head bob to me is a fake out. From my observations the deer is trying to trick you into thinking it is going to put it's head down for a bite and then try to get you making a move towards it...IMO..I've seen does and bucks do this..As for sounds. I have had bucks that busted me grunt at me and then run off.

GeauxLSU
12-12-2005, 03:24 PM

My wife has it down pat too!That's because she's a doe. Have you ever known a guy to stomp his feet and stare? If so, I guarantee you, he's a 'doe' too.

Randy
12-12-2005, 03:28 PM
If so, I guarantee you, he's a 'doe' too.

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMM. You know this from experience? :offtopic:

nwgahunter
12-12-2005, 03:30 PM
Sounds like a cat fight is about to happen!

Spotlite
12-12-2005, 03:34 PM
:pop: :pop:

GeauxLSU
12-12-2005, 03:35 PM
HMMMMMMMMMMMMMM. You know this from experience? :offtopic:No, but my best friend's brother does. :rofl:

Randy
12-12-2005, 03:37 PM
No, but my best friend's brother does. :rofl:
I expected yo to say "No, but I did sleep with one at a Holiday Inn Express."

calvin
12-12-2005, 03:37 PM
are anything like my 10 yr old daughter....

it's because everything is not going exactly like she wants...

:bounce:

calvin

Spotlite
12-12-2005, 03:39 PM
I expected yo to say "No, but I did sleep with one at a Holiday Inn Express."

There are children on here :crazy:

Randy
12-12-2005, 03:43 PM
There are children on here :crazy:

We're talking about does? :crazy:

HighCotton
12-12-2005, 03:43 PM
My experience has been:

(1) When a deer "stomps" but does not blow, it is a sign that they know something is not right but can't figure out what it is-- like they might see something they do not recognize but are not necessarily alarmed by it.

(2) When a deer "Blows" but does not stomp, the blow is usually accompanied by them running way. The blow means they are alarmed.

(3) When a deer both "stomps" and "blows", this is usually a more agressive response than just blowing or stomping alone. It means they don't like what they see or smell and are mad about it.

Just my $0.02 worth.

HC

Spotlite
12-12-2005, 03:46 PM
A guy can dress up as a doe and you can sleep with him at the Holiday Inn :crazy:

Randy
12-12-2005, 03:49 PM
Back on subject, I agree with Mr. Vernon who said what HighCotton said only in more words....and a little different.

Spotlite
12-12-2005, 03:59 PM
See Randy you do care dont you, thank you :cheers:

Randy
12-12-2005, 04:18 PM
See Randy you do care dont you, thank you :cheers:

Of course I care. What would make you think I don't? But let me add that if you think some of the stuff discussed on here should be kept from kids, you have no idea what they are learning in school. Some think we shoudl not even talking about killing animals.

Spotlite
12-12-2005, 04:32 PM
Of course I care. What would make you think I don't? But let me add that if you think some of the stuff discussed on here should be kept from kids, you have no idea what they are learning in school. Some think we shoudl not even talking about killing animals.

I know exactly what is being taught to my kids in school. Theres a big difference in killing an animal and talking about sleeping with a guy dressed up like a doe at Holiday Inn. Dont worry I will not comment on your post anymore, but I have seen some people get banned from here with some comments like you have made. There was a church group you singled out in another post that should have had EDITED FOR PERSONAL ATTACK on it.

Randy
12-12-2005, 04:37 PM
There was a church group you singled out in another post that should have had EDITED FOR PERSONAL ATTACK on it.

That was not a personal attack. I see nothing wrong with saying I do not like Jehovas Witness' coming to see me. I also do not like insurance salesmen coming to see me. I also do not like girl scouts coming to see me. I do not like democrats coming to ask for my vote. These are not personal attacks. If you are a Jehova's Witness or a girl scout or an insurance salesman or a democrat, you should not take it personally. I just do not like dealing with these groups! Now if they want to visit to have a beer or as a friend then I have no problem with that but if they are there to convert me, sale to me, or ask me for a vote, I do not care to see them.

Spotlite
12-12-2005, 04:41 PM
That was not a personal attack. I see nothing wrong with saying I do not like Jehovas Witness' coming to see me. I also do not like insurance salesmen coming to see me. I also do not like girl scouts coming to see me. I do not like democrats coming to ask for my vote. These are not personal attacks. If you are a Jehova's Witness or a girl scout or an insurance salesman or a democrat, you should not take it personally. I just do not like dealing with these groups! Now if they want to visit to have a beer or as a friend then I have no problem with that but if they are there to convert me, sale to me, or ask me for a vote, I do not care to see them.

You see nothing wrong with it. I am not Jehova Witness but have you considered there might be some on here? But your last statement was you dont care. Im cool with that

Randy
12-12-2005, 04:50 PM
You see nothing wrong with it. I am not Jehova Witness but have you considered there might be some on here? But your last statement was you dont care. Im cool with that

Taking this to PM!

Spotlite
12-12-2005, 04:52 PM
Taking this to PM!
10-4

nwgahunter
12-12-2005, 04:55 PM
That was getting interesting but, Glad you guys took it to PM.

Randy
12-12-2005, 04:56 PM
That was getting interesting but, Glad you guys took it to PM.

It is not that I have anything to hide. Just that we were way off topic, even though it appeard the thread was all but dead.

Spotlite
12-12-2005, 05:01 PM
Just so the rest will know, I am man enough to admit it ( hate to though ) I was wrong and I owe Randy an apology. I will send you a Christmas card Randy.

Randy
12-12-2005, 05:05 PM
Just so the rest will know, I am man enough to admit it ( hate to though ) I was wrong and I owe Randy an apology. I will send you a Christmas card Randy.

No need for a card but I will be glad to have you come hunt or fish with me any time.

Spotlite
12-12-2005, 05:09 PM
No need for a card but I will be glad to have you come hunt or fish with me any time.

See, you knew what I was after all along, just kidding man. Id love to sometime, thanks for the offer.

Jorge
12-12-2005, 05:22 PM
...I also do not like girl scouts coming to see me...Now if they want to visit to have a beer or as a friend then I have no problem with that...
Now you've gone and done it! I personally find the suggestion of having a beer with a girl scout personally offensive. I'm calling the Girl Scouts of America right now and will be organizing a march down your street with a few dozen girl scouts and a handful of brownies. You'll be sorry you uttered those words mister. :p

dixie
12-12-2005, 05:56 PM
well heck, I always thought it was because their feet were cold!!! Believe this or not, I've only tried it once and it worked, SLOWLY raise your hand and made that motion with it that a doe does with her tail, its like a "all clear" single, either that or the doe I fooled with this was nearsighted. I read somewhere that deer are so acustom to certain movements and signs and the source makes no difference. I figured what the heck, I was busted by her anyway.

DCHunter
12-12-2005, 07:04 PM
Can you fill me in on what that sign is?

carabrook
12-12-2005, 07:08 PM
I try my best to make it the last thing they ever do so I don't know what follows it, except when they do it right behind me and then I say, man this is going to have to fast, LOL. I think it is their danger signal and a testement of what they think of us being in their woods.

7401R
12-12-2005, 07:24 PM
Interesting and that makes me feel a little more comfortable about the strangest 'stomping' incident I've ever had. I was in a stand that is way too exposed (no foliage around) last month. I was watching a doe, a yearling and a fawn. They were feeding through about 50-60 yards to my left in this creek bottom. Suddenly DIRECTLY under my stand but behind the tree a deer began stomping. It stomped what seemed like 100 times and it lasted well over a minute. I did not twitch a muscle or even blink. I could not see it since I was looking left at the other deer. They did not seem overly alarmed but did take notice of the first couple of stomps. When it finally stopped (after the other deer had moved slowly away) I waited a minute or two and then looked. Nothing. It slipped away dead silently. That was probably the most self control I ever had in a deer stand. I mean after about the 50th stomp I REALLY want to see that thing. I was just sure it was a 'monster buck'. ;)
Went back and checked that stand Saturday (hadn't been back since) to find a new big rub just a few yards away. :cool:

That deer must have stepped in something and was trying to get it out from between her toes.
Also, sometimes I can leave my scent in a room and my wife will come through and stomp and blow. Must be something with the female gender.

DCHunter
12-12-2005, 07:26 PM
That deer must have stepped in something and was trying to get it out from between her toes.
Also, sometimes I can leave my scent in a room and my wife will come through and stomp and blow. Must be something with the female gender.

:bounce: :bounce: :rofl: I know exactly what you mean. I wonder where they go to "leave their scent".

NOYDB
12-12-2005, 08:10 PM
I'm calling the Girl Scouts of America right now and will be organizing a march down your street with a few dozen girl scouts and a handful of brownies. You'll be sorry you uttered those words mister. :p

That's going to require a couple of kegs.

NOYDB
12-12-2005, 08:17 PM
Deer do have a gland between their "toes". When they stomp they leave more scent behind than just walking and it can serve to warn others. I believe they are trying to make you move.

The head bobbing I believe may be also to get a different angle of view. I've seen them move their head from side to side for the same thing.

One tip that sometimes works. When you spook a deer and it blows and starts to run off. Blow back at it. Often they will stop and come back. They will ease towards you keeping low and looking under the brush. They will hide behind a tree and look around it. You have crouch down or kneel to get a shot.

RBBTBONE
12-12-2005, 08:24 PM
yes yhey have what is called an innerdigital gland between their hooves in the spilt and when they stomp it leaves an excess amount of it and it puts the other deer on red alert

Nugefan
12-13-2005, 08:19 AM
thanks for the replies folks ....

even you thread hijackers..... :whip:

shame , shame .... ::ke:

Phil
12-13-2005, 02:56 PM
The foot stomp definitely drops a bit of interdigital scent (oil) from the gland. Used as a marker.

elfiii
12-13-2005, 03:11 PM
All I know is when they go to stompin' and their heads go to bobbin', you got troubles mister, about 85% of the time. I've had them run off 25-30yds. and come back, but exhibit the same behaviour. Usually they will blow and ultimately split.

If you are bowhunting and they are closer than about 30yds, give it up. They are not going to give you the opportunity to get your bow up and draw on them.

My experience is this happens with the mature does. The younger ones generally don't know what is going on, and will "wander off" after the mature doe has split. By the start of gun season, even the stupid ones have wised up.

dixie
12-13-2005, 04:20 PM
DC, I should have mentioned I was wearing brown wool worsed gloves also, but its just that "tail twitch" a does when shes browsing or just walking down a trail in no rush

CPiper
12-16-2005, 02:21 PM
Deer stomping their hooves does indeed have something to do with scent!
It is called the Interdigital Scent Gland, this is how deer track one another, same as allowing dogs to track deer.
Next time you kill a deer, split it's hooves and stick your nose bwteen the toes and take a big ol sniff whiff .... what you smell is a by product of the Interdigital Scent Gland.

The amount laid down by normal walking is not alarming to deer. The amount laid down by a deer stomping is alarming to deer.
The thing to remember when using a commercial interdigital scent product is to use it in moderation.
Deer can also feel and hear another deer stomping which is an alarm call - beware - is what the sight, sound and smell is communicating.

Deer have several scent glands, and most deer hunters are not aware of how to use these scents to their advantage (education - learn about deer biology).

PrimeTime - effective as a trailing scent (http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd/product.asp?sku=89265)

Rickard's - natural scent trail (http://www.amback.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=52689)

More on deer glands ..... a University of GA study
University of Georgia Whitehall Deer Research Facility (http://warnell.forestry.uga.edu/deerpens/html/research.html)

I used the commerical deer scent "Deer Formula" right after it became available 2 decades ago - and I can tell you right now why its shelf presense was short lived ..... lack of education on how to use it - it was ineffective because most hunters, including myself, tried to use it like a sex or food attractant and wound up alarming and spooking alot of deer by unsing too much, TOO TOO much!! LOL!!
It was funny to me after I learned what the ISG was for because as I laid out a ISG scent trail, deer were standing off out of shooting range blowing at me and STOMPING THEIR FEET!! LOL!! Lesson learned!! :banginghe

calvin
12-16-2005, 02:29 PM
they are mad

ZMI
12-16-2005, 02:31 PM
I have always heard they stomp their feet to suprise you, make you move, so they can find out exactly who/what you are????

CPiper
12-16-2005, 02:31 PM
a doe deer moves past your stand at 7AM ..... at 9AM a buck appears and is walking in the same path as the doe deer did .... HEAD DOWN, SNIFFING THE TRAIL ... sniffing her scent trail, left by her interdigital scent gland.

IF the buck is close enough to sight trail her, he will still lay his head to the ground and sniff once in awhile.

As far as all that head jerking and snorting and blowing goes .... natural defence mechinism for prey. Nature has a built in feature that wont allow prey to exert any more energy then necessary - if deer ran off expending all their energy every time they became mildly alarmed, they'd never have time to eat or sleep - so - their feature is to stand still for a period of time and then do a jerk in an effort to get the "predator" to make a move and show their hand.
I cant remember what it is called, but some Predators have a feature that allows them to give chase, hunt down, prey only if it is moving. If their prey stands still it "confuses" them; mechanisims hard wired in their genes.
Iv watched footage of wolves standing around an elk calf in utter confusion ... "what do we do" as the elk calf stood motionless, staring back at them. The pack ended up starting to move off, the calf moved .... end of calf.
Maybe I'll do some research in one of my critter biology books and see if I can find out what that is called .... it is an auto reaction sumptin or another ..... anyways, as long as a deer stands still it could be a stale-mate, with neither prey or predator giving or gaining ground ... so the deer jerks, in an effort to make the pred give up its location.

Once a deer snorts or stomps at you, it is on alarm .... it may still not know what you are, but too many of its senses have been put on alert and flight is not too far away.
If you can fool 2 of the deer's sesnes, it may do the jerk thing on you trying to get you to give up your identity .... but once 2 of its senses have been tripped, the snorting, blowing and stomping starts and the end is near ... best be shootin if ya want THAT deer!! Nature's design! Purdy neat isnt it!!

RPD#99
12-17-2005, 11:48 PM
peter fiducia, author of whitetail strategies, says that they do leave a scent when they stomp to alert other deer that there was "danger" in the area. he has shot 113 bucks at the time of his book....sounds like bragging, only cuz he mentions it "alot" in his book, but he has a lot of information.

Hardwood man
12-18-2005, 03:43 PM
This year I had a small buck on the 4 wheeler I had just loaded down in a holler. I was scanning the ridge to see which way would be the best way to go back up and came eye to eye with a big doe. The 4 wheeler was on the up hill side of me so I squated down behind it. The doe started blowing and stomping and 5 more doe came to the edge of the ridge, looked, and stated eating acorns and browes. That doe stomped and I bet she blew 25-30 times and all the other doe did was eat. I don't know if she was blowing at me or trying to get the deer on my 4-wheeler to move. Eventurally they just grazed on and never took off running.

Vernon Holt
12-18-2005, 06:12 PM
[QUOTE=Vernon Holt] "A deer "stomping" has nothing to do with leaving scent. A deer, just like any other critter leaves scent every time it takes a step irregardless if it is stomping or not".

"A deer stomping has everything to do with making a sound, not for its own benefit, but for the benefit of other deer that might be within the hearing of it".

I revisit my earlier post on this subject. I do so for the purpose of adding somewhat to my earlier comments. I hold to the position that scent left by the interdigital gland is such a normal and routine function for Whitetail Deer that it could in no practical way function as a warning system. If the scent left by a walking deer was to be taken as a warning, then there would be a lot of spooky deer in the woods.

The scent deposited by a walking deer remains in place for many hours. When hunting with hounds, I have cast a hound onto a large track made on a sandy road many hours previously. The hound will readily take a track that is up to 4 hours old and will work it well. The hound is not smelling the imprint in the sand, but rather he is smelling the residual of the interdigital gland secretion. This clearly establishes the fact that this secretion takes place with every normal step the deer takes.

Most say that stomping its feet increases the secretion and thus constitutes its "warning system". Where does this leave the effectiveness of the "warning system" if there happens to be no wind?? Or what does this do for the warning system if the wind were coming from a direction that was unfavorable for disseminating the scent?? Generally, any deer will approach the hunter from the up-wind direction. In such case, the deer's scent will be blowing toward the hunter, and would serve no purpose to alert deer that might be following the stomping deer.

On the other hand, the distinct sound made by the deer thrusting it hoof straight down onto the ground is heard by hunter and any other critter within fifty yards of the stomping deer. This distinct and sharp "thud" is unmistakable, without regard to wind direction. The sound eminates for 360 degrees from the maker and is heard clearly by any deer in the locale.

I continue to believe that a deer stomping is clearly an early warning system, and further that other deer in close proximity are immediately alerted by this sound. The warning is sounded and heard immediately. There is no unwarranted delay in having to sniff the wind that might not even be there. The warning is immediate and effective.

If the stomp is accompanied with a snort, then all that the hunter sees is a series of white flashes where formerly stood deer.

My thoughts are not derived from Google, the Outdoor Channel, or someone else writings, but from having watched and heard the clear and distinct sound to a hoof pounding the earth a few times.

CPiper
12-19-2005, 08:14 AM
10/4 V.H. I too base my posts on actual real time experience(s). Please dont take my posts as putting you down or I meant it in a "Im right, You are wrong" way.
I will add, I think all of have alot to learn about deer scents and how deer interrupt them. ;)

CPiper
12-19-2005, 08:24 AM
[QUOTE=Vernon Holt] On the other hand, the distinct sound made by the deer thrusting it hoof straight down onto the ground is heard by hunter and any other critter within fifty yards of the stomping deer. This distinct and sharp "thud" is unmistakable, without regard to wind direction. The sound eminates for 360 degrees from the maker and is heard clearly by any deer in the locale.

I continue to believe that a deer stomping is clearly an early warning system, and further that other deer in close proximity are immediately alerted by this sound. The warning is sounded and heard immediately. There is no unwarranted delay in having to sniff the wind that might not even be there. The warning is immediate and effective.

If the stomp is accompanied with a snort, then all that the hunter sees is a series of white flashes where formerly stood deer. [ QUOTE]

I agree 100%, and one of my previous posts will confirm this.
I personally have seen a correlation between hoof stomping, snorting and blowing. As we both have posted, a deer stomping is an early warning signal and puts deer in the immediate vicinity on alert; by hearing and feeling the stomp. IF the deer decides that danger is indeed present, the snorting and blowing begins, and the deer moves on out shortly thereafter.
I personally have witnessed a deer stomping at me and then move on out. Shortly thereafter another deer moves into that same area and once it reaches the same spot where the deer had stomped, its presense was short lived .... it winded the immediate area and then vacated the immediate area. Maybe it was me? Maybe not! But, IMHO, there is a relation, it makes sense to my peabrain, and Iv seen/heard enough to make me pay attention to this type of situation while in the woods.

Vernon Holt
12-19-2005, 09:48 AM
"I think all have alot to learn about deer scents and how deer interpret them". ;)

Couldn't agree more. Whitetail Deer Research is an ongoing thing, with the likelihood being great that we will never learn all of their secrets. Much of the work being done is conducted under controlled conditions. I hold to the position that, without detracting from good basic research, much, and I stress much can be learned by practical observation out on the firing line.

Guess what I am saying is that when I read of research findings, I always compare these findings with my own observations. Almost always they mesh, but not always. I reserve the right to dissagree, as is the case with this thread.

I would never dissagree just for the sake of disagreeing.

I fully agree that scent in its various forms fits firmly in the life and love of the Whitetail Deer. I just happen to believe that scent does not drive it's alarm system.

I have taken a wooden stick with an imprint the size of the Whitetail's hoof, and have thrust the end of the six foot stick against the ground in an effort to duplicate the sound of a stomping deer. The sound generated by the stick is not as distinct as that made by the deer. The stomp of the deer sends out a sound that has unique vibrations that can be heard from a surprising distance. If a hunter can hear it from 50 yards, it is likely that a deer can hear it much further.

Piper, since there are so few of us, we Hound Hunters and the old, worn out Hound Hunters must hang together or we will go down together.

CPiper
12-19-2005, 10:23 AM
10/4!! Im hanging .... sometimes out to dry!!

And I appreciate our "disagreement" and still being able to be respectful and conduct ourselves like Southern Gents - Thanks!
In any event, I dont use any interdigital scent .... my experinces makes me shy away from em.
AND if and when I learn how deer interrupt scent, it wont be fun anymore! That ???'s make me come back for more and more and more!!