Best flies for bonefish and permit?

FishingAddict

Looks like I'll be headed to Belize in Febuary!

What are the best flies for bonefish and permit? I won't be hiring a guide, as lots of bones and permit cruise the area I'll be staying.

Also, would a high end sage 6wt be enough for these critters, or should I invest in an 8 wt...that being said, anyone have a decent 8 wt they want to unload?

TaxPhd

No help on flies. Give the Fish Hawk a call, they'll know.

On rods however. . .

For small bonefish, you can get away with a 6. However, any wind will make casting it pretty difficult. For Permit, no way on a 6. I would bring a 9 or 10 for Permit.

FishingAddict

Thank you, Dr. Tax. I'm bringing an 8, I expect the wind will be pretty stiff since we are going to be on an island 35 miles off shore. Plus, there is a chance of small tarpon and other bigger game fish (yes, a large tarpon will own me on a rod that size, but let's hope I can find some 30#ers)

TaxPhd

You usually won't go wrong with Gotcha's or Charlies, but try to talk to someone who has fished there about specific patterns.

What kind of reel are you going with? Don't cheap out. You will need a good drag.

KINGFISHER

FA I had a chance to go to Belize City this past May and I know you will enjoy it as much as I did. I agree with Tax on the rod size. As far as flies for the bones the mentioned Crazy Charlies and Gotchas are good as well as any shrimp patterns like Bonefish Mai Tai, Sugar Daddy oh yeah take some Gummy Minnows! For the permit, Merkin Crabs, Fleeing Crabs,and Corona Crabs are pretty good.