Bird ID

HTRDNCK

The last several weeks we have had an unknown type of bird calling on our lease in Washington county. We've not been able to see one, but they are high in the trees when calling. They will call and answer each other the way crows or owls do almost in a response to each other. The call is so similar to a hen turkey it makes you listen real close.

It is definitely not turkeys. They are too high in the trees and the call does not have the raspy-ness of a turkey. Tone and cadence are very similar to a hen turkey yelping.

any ideas?

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Is it a "knock" soundin` call, in a fairly fast cadence?

HTRDNCK

Is it a "knock" soundin` call, in a fairly fast cadence?

you could say that. it is very similar to a hen doing a locate yelp. just not raspy.

bigkga69

probably a blue jay, their not a true mimic but they can make a bunch of neat sounds!!

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
How about a rain crow. Proper name is yellow billed cuckoo.

bigkga69

it might be a cuckoo.....they make a neat sound!! i havent heard one this late in the year though....

HTRDNCK

probably a blue jay, their not a true mimic but they can make a bunch of neat sounds!!

Possible, there have been several birds heard answering each other with the same type call. At least 3 or 4 at once. They have also been hanging around for nearly a month.

How about a rain crow. Proper name is yellow billed cuckoo.

We have them too. The ring tone on my cell is a raincrow, i know that sound.

the cadence of the call is similar to the sound you would make with a slate turkey call, drawing the "J" on the slate. It is just not raspy enough for a turkey. The sound comes from high in the trees. Big saw timber pines....

bigkga69

Im sticking with blue jays!! .22 fodder if they get in my pecan trees!!!

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I think I`ve heard that same bird call you described, but I don`t ever remember seein` the bird that made it.

Kelly, now that you mention it, I can`t remember hearin` rain crows callin` this late in the year, either.

bigkga69

I think they migrate....I dont remember from any of my ornithology classes but seems like they travel south.....

HTRDNCK

I think I`ve heard that same bird call you described, but I don`t ever remember seein` the bird that made it.

I tried to run one down. Never could lay eyes on it. Very high. I'm guessing they are about the size of a wood-hen or a crow, based on the volume.

Ive been looking on the web at sites with recorded sounds. Nothing yet. It may have been a mimic, if thats the case there were several at one time making the same call over a good size area. say 30 acres.

mutt

I've never seen a rain crow or heard one for sure either, but I read they do migrate to south America and their call was described as ka ka ka ka ka kow kow kow.

bill

bestbucks

Banned
The yellow-billed Cuckoo can still be found in Washington Co. Saw one yesturday feeding on berries. However, he never made a sound.

djackson67

Flicker

I think it may be a Giant Flicker, Woodpecker family i think, this may be the same as Nic's Cookoo.??
The sound is a cross between a howler monkey and Hen Turkey yelp.
They look like a huge red headed woodpecker, almost the size of a crow.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I think it may be a Giant Flicker, Woodpecker family i think, this may be the same as Nic's Cookoo.??
The sound is a cross between a howler monkey and Hen Turkey yelp.
They look like a huge red headed woodpecker, almost the size of a crow.

What you`re describin` there is a Pileated Woodpecker.

djackson67

Thanks, heard'em called alot of stuff, like the Ivory bill woodpecker, but i believe the Ivorybill is exsticnt.

I have 4 of these that i see every time i'm in my stand this year, fun to watch and listen to while the deer are not moving.

crokseti

I heard that same thing a couple weeks ago and thought it was a turkey but after listening closer I could tell that it came from higher up in the trees so I got the binos out and started studying the trees and discovered it was a pileated woodpecker.