When X-bows were legalized . . .

Gone Fishin

When x-bows were legalized in GA were there lots of accidents?

e.g. people cutting the ends of their fingers off with the strings.

Hunterrs

GONetwork Member
I heard of one guy pulling a finger off because he tried to decock with one hand on the trigger and the other holding the string. The string got caught on his wedding ring. So that's why I don't wear one. I have hit my thumb with the string last year, leaving a blood blister. Scared me but I still have the end of my thumb. I would think the string would have to catch on something before you did any real damage, or maybe I was just lucky.

Robert

Last edited:

reylamb

While I am not the most ardent supporter of crossbows, if anyone says there were alot of accidents they are blowing smoke out their rear. If anyone claims there were alot more accidents with crossbows than with compounds or trad bows, ditto that, they are blowing smoke.

Larry Rooks

And they still happen. Crossbows have a danger effect to them that no one realizes until they are missing finger tips etc. Now, the folks in Alabama get to find out, legalized this year. :mad: Crossbows also have a high failure rate, with a very large portion breaking limbs etc. Also several cases of them just going off by themselves cause of trigger/sear priblems. People buying them for children to use :mad: do not know what they are getting into. Some of these dummies around here even like to cock em and then pull em up into the stand by rope ::huh: One man pinned his foot to the stand with a crossbow bolt cause his went off while laoded and aimed down to the floor ::;

TOW

Larry,

Post up where all this information is at...

Not just "I heard" stuff either....

H

HT2

Crossbow Accidents......

I personally have never heard of any......

The "one" common injury that I might see happening is when you "shoot".......Keep your fingers out of the way!!!!!!!

Know, they have a "safety button" that you must squeeze to fire......You have to push it with your left hand (if you're a right handed shooter) to allow the crossbow to shoot....

Good idea!!!!!! :cool:

The best idea for crossbows is make them legal for the handicapped only....during bow season anyway. If you want to use them during rifle season then fine but follow the gun rules...buck only except on doe days. Crossbows for the biggest part are for the ones that are to lazy to get out and practice...they have horrible penetration/energy on those light bolts...Not to mention people buy them throw a scope on and then think they can shoot at 50-60 yards.. I would bet there are a lot more wounded/unrecovered deer since they were legalized.

reylamb

Like I said...............

Crossbow injuries are no more or less common that compoun injuries, or recurve injuries. Even the 3 or 4 references made here to injuries from crossbows is miniscule when compared to the total number of people that hunted during archery season.

I personally witnessed 2 compounds blow up at ASA shoots this year, sending 1 arrow through a hand, and shards of glass into another arm. I also heard of one other such accident with a compound during the ASA season. It does not mean that compounds as a whole are dangerous, body limb destroying machines. It just means the potential for bodily harm is present, and care must be taken when using said device.

Like I also said, I am not a crossbow supporter for use during archery season, however, I am also a realist.

TOW

Excellent post reylamb..

Too many people polly parrot what they have heard others say and what they would like to hear just because they do not like crossbows..

highcountry,

The discussion of whether or not they should be legal archery equipment was over a long time ago.

Your statements of "Crossbows for the biggest part are for the ones that are to lazy to get out and practice...they have horrible penetration/energy on those light bolts.." are TOTALLY erroneous..

TOW we have tested about every crossbow out there....It isfact not fiction...lazy part you don't ever hear of people practicing all year with their rifles right.....same thing for the majority of the crossbow people...they do not for the biggest part practice.....I know the discussion is over till people bring it back up....I did not start this thread by the way.

TOW

No, you didn’t start this thread, but you certainly are trying to high jack it.

The subject is about crossbow accidents, not whether we think they should be legal archery equipment or not.

Not sure about your testing of “about every crossbow out there.” I do know that every hunting crossbow that I am aware of generates in excess of 75 foot pounds of energy. That is almost double what is considered adequate for deer hunting.

300 feet per second with a 400 grain arrow is 300 feet per second with a 400 grain arrow no matter what launched it.

Indoor ranges and 3D shoots do not like to have crossbows shoot their targets as they think they are too powerful.

The remark on “light bolts” is erroneous too in that ”bolts” weights can be chosen the same as the vertical bow weights. The only difference is that the “bolts” are sometimes 4 inches shorter than the over draw arrows used by some vertical bow shooters. 4 inches of weight does not make it a “bolt” that will not penetrate. I hear way too many stories of big game kills by crossbows on elk, moose and CAPE BUFFALO to even start to consider what you are saying is true.

Dead%20Cape.jpg

“……….they do not for the biggest part practice.....”

And every compound bow shooter does?

Are you a member of the “Practice Police” that makes sure everyone practices? ;)

“Lazy”? How many compound bow shooters do you know that lay their bow down at the end of the season and not pick it up again until a week before the next season? No, the “lazy” remark is to denigrate hunters that choose to use a hunting tool that you dislike.

Arrow Flinger

Lets get back on track please.

Original topic:

PWalls

Wow, talk about prejudice and disinformation.

HighCountry, how many crossbow users do you know personally? You are making a totally baseless claim about compound bow hunters practicing more than crossbow hunters. That is total bupkiss.

Energy? Crossbows shoot arrows that impart more kinetic energy than compound bows. Why, because a compound bow has to shoot a heavier arrow to maintain the spine stiffness. Kinetic Energy equals one-half mass times velocity. Since my arrow weighs more and is travelling faster, then I have more kinetic energy. So, I don't know where you get your "light arrow" theory. My crossbow will not let me shoot anything lighter than a 350 gr setup.

Friction. Compound bow arrows are longer and will have more friction to overcome while going through a deer than a shorter crossbow arrow.

Broadheads are not an issue as you can put any on either one.

Range. That is yet another baseless accusation. No one should shoot at a deer with any bow (compound or cross) over 40-50 yards tops because the variables start to overcome the ability to make a good killing shot. I personally don't shoot my crossbow over 35 yards. I also know compound bow users that would take a shot at 60 yards. So, that is an ethics issue.

Kill shots. I have guys in my club that lose deer every year with the latest and greatest Matthew's bows. Killing shots are determined by the skill level of the shooter. Neither one is better or worse on that.

I have found three negatives on crossbows that I will share. One, they have more noise which could possibly lead to some string jump which is why I limit my distance and shoot at calm deer (ethics). Second, they have a much more paroblic flight (they aren't as flat shooting) although at the yardage I shoot at (and out to 40-50 yds) that is not too much of a problem. Finally, they have horizontal clearance issues (versus vertical for compounds) which make you have to position your treestands certain ways. None of these negatives add up to any amount of concern to any degree to quit or never use a crossbow.

Also, I have used compound bows (own two older PSE bows). Never had problems with them. I CHOSE to purchase and use a crossbow because I had always wanted to own one. Therefore, when Georgia legalized them for everybody, I fulfilled a personal desire.

Either one works great for deer hunting and I have no problem with either.

TOW

Arrow Flinger said:
Lets get back on track please.

Original topic:

I'd like that answer too..

Most of the newer crossbows are built with taller forestocks where a person would really have to stretch to get his fingers/thumb in the way.

BTW - A hunting tool is only as safe as the person shooting it. Period..

gabowman

Good post PWallis. Sounds more like facts than fiction. I'm a bow shooter but have no problem with xbow hunters as long as the tools are adequate for the job. :bounce:

GB

reylamb

Like I said, I am not now, nor have I ever been, nor will I ever be a supporter of crossbows in the general archery season. Havings said that, I still contend there was not a massive rise in archery season injuries that can be attributed to crossbows. now, there may have possibly been an increase in treestand injuries due to more hunters being in the woods, but I am not even sure on that one.

Now for a slight rabbit trail. Since we are getting on a fact or fiction issue, let's get all the facts straight (not to hijack this thread or anything)

1. The formula for kinetic energy is weight in grains x velocity in fps squared / 450240 (not 1/2, the 450240 converts from grains to lbs)

2. 350 grains is a light arrow by most standards. 350 is the minimum recommended wieght for an arrow shot out of a 70 # compound, and very light. Like I said, I am not being persnickity, just getting all the facts straight.

3. The typical compound and the typical crossbow will produce very similar amounts of force. This is due in large part for 2 reasons, compounds typically shoot heavier arrows, and they have a longer power stroke. Factor in that most crossbows havve the same speed rating as most compounds, you get very similar energy results.

4. I know archers that are perfectly capable of making quick kills at 60+ yards with compounds. The shot is well within their limitations and they make them constantly. For them, the shot may or may not be ethical, based upon other conditions besides merely the range.

5. Finally, friction. Unless we are shooting field tips, and the shafts are going through a hole smaller than the shaft diameter, friction is a miniscule point at best in the penetration argument. The broadheads make a larger hole than the shaft, so friction exterted on the shaft is, like I said , miniscule. unless we are judging penetration on a friction based target that the blades slike in and do not make a hole, then friction is part of the equation.

I am glad to hear that some manufacturers are beginning to increase the height on the forestock. Everytime I looked at a crossow I wondred how bad it would hurt my fingertips. You see, I even got my reply back on topic....well almost....sorta....partially.....maybe?

reylamb

TOW said:
BTW - A hunting tool is only as safe as the person shooting it. Period..
Hey, I think I read that on factcheck.org Great statement. As a matter of fact, I would be willing to bet more hunters hurt themselves every year with skinning knives than with guns, bows or crossbows. Sure you will read of the occassional moron that shoots themselves in the foot, but hey, what is life without morons!!!!

PWalls

Reylamb,

Thanks for the corrections. I didn't consider the actual formula for kinetic energy with respect to the conversion to grain weight, but it yields the same result.

I shoot an ExoMax from Excalibur at around 353 FPS with a 350 GR arrow/broadhead combination (per their claims as I haven't actually chronoed mine). Using those numbers, while I agree it is splitting hairs, I think my crossbow would have more kinetic energy (even if slightly) than the arrow you mentioned for the 70# crossbow above. Although, I will admit, without running the actual numbers on the two combinations, it is just a feeling. Please correct me if wrong again.

Could I kill a deer with my crossbow at 60+ yards, sure. Would I attempt it? No. Not ethical I think.

I think the point is that they are both perfectly fine weapons for taking game animals with. Both have pros and cons.

Incidentally, I appreciate that high-riser on my crossbow very much because I would sure hate to have a finger bruised up by one.

reylamb

You would have more initial kinetc than my particular hunting bow, no speed bow by any means, but at 20 yards my arrow would overtake yours energy wise do to the fact that my arrow weighs in around 480 grains. Truely splitting hairs.

TOW, or anyone else, in the event I am ever asked, what manufacturers are making higher forestocks, obviously Ecalibur is one of them I assume?

TOW

reylamb said:
You would have more initial kinetc than my particular hunting bow, no speed bow by any means, but at 20 yards my arrow would overtake yours energy wise do to the fact that my arrow weighs in around 480 grains. Truely splitting hairs.

TOW, or anyone else, in the event I am ever asked, what manufacturers are making higher forestocks, obviously Ecalibur is one of them I assume?

Not sure if you first statement is true or not. But, like you said it's splitting hairs.Anything above 50 foot pounds is over kill..

His crossbow arrow is still going 330 fps and generating 85 foot pounds at 20 yards.

Go over to Jackson Archery and run the numbers. The Exomax will shoot a 20 inch 350 grain arrow with 5" vanes at 350 fps. Compare you bow with that and see what you get. I'm guessing not a whole lot of downrange difference.

Most crossbow manufacturers became acutely aware of the finger in way of the string problem early on. Most newer models if not all have high forestocks.

The ExoMax is higher yet because at that poundage it would take a finger off.