Why gates get closed on WMAs

Coastie

This used to be a pretty nice food plot. Someone decided it would be better as a race track. Gate closed.

picture.php
[/IMG]
picture.php
[/IMG]

dc02

Well I know nobody likes signs cluttering up the landscape, but I did some irresponsible things when I was a kid just because I didn't know better and no one told me I couldn't.

Was there any way of knowing it was a WMA?

deramey67

they should be easy to catch. cause no four wheelers allowed maybe the wardens should do more riding and walking. oh yeah they make game cams also and they do have them

Coastie

More

picture.php

[/IMG]
picture.php

Coastie

Well I know nobody likes signs cluttering up the landscape, but I did some irresponsible things when I was a kid just because I didn't know better and no one told me I couldn't.

Only the standard 10' X 12' sign at the entrance stating:
DAWSON FOREST WMA

dc02

Well those get hard to see after a couple six packs. :bounce:

-Just didn't know if there was a way in that didn't have a sign. I'm not trying to excuse someone doing that on property that wasn't theirs.

dadsbuckshot

they should be easy to catch. cause no four wheelers allowed maybe the wardens should do more riding and walking. oh yeah they make game cams also and they do have them

DNR is short handed... Ever been out with one to see what the do each day? Probably not - don't judge unless you have been there..

Why don't you start a volunteer wing for the DNR...

You could be the WMA Guardian Angels...

Pineyrooter

One word comes to mind Coastie. "Idiot"

dc02. - Whether it was posted or not is really irrelevant. There is right and wrong and whoever done this knew it was wrong and did it anyway. My neighbor doesn’t have a sign in his yard that reads…”This is not your property and you cannot build fires, paint on my house, spin up my grass, or dump furniture on it". It’s because anybody that has enough sense to get out of bed knows you’re not supposed to do those things on someone else’s property. Its because people dont care !

Coastie

well if it makes any difference, looks like it is ready to plant!

Looks are deceiving, when planting time gets here you should volunteer to work that field since the Wildlife Technicians back and kidneys are very likely in need of a break.
By the way, this is the small handicap access field on the City of Atlanta tract. I'm sure the handicapped hunters that ordinarily use it will be thrilled to see it next wednesday.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
The legislators need to fund DNR to the level where we can have appropriate levels of over sight on the WMAs. This way the public can have access and the idiots jailed. We put a bunch of bucks in our sports to get locked out.

This is the typical liberal answer, it could be bad so we'll protect by keeping you away from it. It shows two short comings. Heartless morons that did this to the handicapped area. Legislators failing to support the sportsman by funding adequate oversight.

Past time for this nonsense to cease!

NoOne

Gone but not forgotten.
I wish they would always leave them closed. I would rather walk 5 miles and have peace and quite than to have to deal with idiot roadhunters and those to lazy to hunt.

GA DAWG

I really figured ya'll would have had em caught by now!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :huh::huh::huh:

Can I go up there and plant some clover or something that the deer will actually eat in the race track?:rofl:

Throwback

Chief Big Taw

What difference does it make? If it's not your land or you don't have permission to be there stay off, no matter if you're 18 or 80.

T

hayseed_theology

I did some irresponsible things when I was a kid just because I didn't know better and no one told me I couldn't.

I was 16 once. I used to do some four wheeling up in Dawson Forest. I always stuck to the trails and only went in the summer. One time, the guy I was with decided to throw some donuts in a field like that. I'm sure he dug a few ruts, but nothing like those pictures. It was the wrong thing to do.

I'm sure that was a case of a few teenagers with 4x4's being young and dumb. I'm not blowing it off, but that's how it happens. It sucks that the actions of a few irresponsible kids can cause other responsible citizens to lose their privileges.

dc02

What difference does it make? If it's not your land or you don't have permission to be there stay off, no matter if you're 18 or 80.

T

I agree. But alot of people that aren't that smart and don't realize what they're doing is wrong. People are often smart enough not to mess around someone's house, but that's probably because someone ran them off a few times when they were little.

How many people pick up things in the woods that don't belong to them?

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=34022
http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=438046

-Or on the road?

I'm not out to argue, I agree you shouldn't mess with something that isn't yours.

Last edited:

Jighead

Gone but not forgotten
I wish they would always leave them closed. I would rather walk 5 miles and have peace and quite than to have to deal with idiot roadhunters and those to lazy to hunt.

Amen, I wish they would keep them all closed, especially during the managed deer hunts.Too many road hunters, many people are too lazy to walk and scout anymore.

whitworth

the Unfairness of it all

You mean the government is requiring fatsos, to haul in on foot, over fifty pounds of gear, into a WMA.

Then requiring poachers to haul out over twenty pounds of tree stands, the fatsos refused to haul back out.

earl

Banned
Some of you boys are awful high and mighty.Some of us disabled and handicapped folks sure hope you don't wind up in our situation where your hunting gets to be almost nonexistent due to access issues like closed gates, especially during small game season.
As far as volunteering , the legalities keep that out of the question. If we could get OUR funds out of the general budget and put where they belong, we would have the problems solved.