Taxidermy Question

CartyKid

I found a pair of shed antlers last night, good mass and really even as far as tines go, only prob is they are about a year old, got a little green on them(nothing bleach wont take off) and the worst, squirrls! chewed up the g3's and one browtine, is there any way to fix this? and whats the best thing to use to varnish these back to a darker color?

hortonhunter22

I found a pair of shed antlers last night, good mass and really even as far as tines go, only prob is they are about a year old, got a little green on them(nothing bleach wont take off) and the worst, squirrls! chewed up the g3's and one browtine, is there any way to fix this? and whats the best thing to use to varnish these back to a darker color?

id try not to use bleach...they make alot of apoxie putties that would work for the tine repairs. check on some of the taxidermy supply websites or check out www.taxidermy.net forum

packrat

color

I've found sheds before that were just starting to get the white haze. I took Dawn soap and a toothbrush and cleaned them down. After they dried completely I put OLD ENGLISH stain/polish to them, then wiped them down and sprayed them with standard furniture polish. If they are real dry, I WOULD NOT DO THIS, as they would be chalky and continue to soak up the stain.