PDA

View Full Version : the most accurate/quality .22lr ammo?

jo_dawg69
11-15-2009, 11:44 PM
hey yall. any tips on what would be the best choice of .22lr ammo to use for target/competition shooting? i know the regular cheap bulk boxes tend to foul of the barrel fairly quickly and are pretty dirty. any info???

mikey357
11-16-2009, 01:41 AM
The ABSOLUTE BEST is Eley "Tenex"...VERY expensive! The best "Bang for the Buck" is probably CCI "Standard Velocity"--it shoots almost as well as CCI's "Best", their "Green Tag", at about HALF the cost...HTH....mikey357

goob
11-16-2009, 03:50 AM
I shoot CCI Mini-Mags in my Model 60 and they will stack together. I really have never "competition" shot before, just plinked and hunted. I am fond of the Winchester Super-X CB Long Match rounds too. LOW noise!

Sargent
11-16-2009, 07:20 AM
I think it depends on the firearm. My Mark II will eat anything but Eley.

I have an Ithaca rifle that is very fickle. I don't shoot it much.

Rob62
11-16-2009, 07:29 AM
It really does all depend on your specific firearm. Even between two identical guns the exact same brand and lot number of ammunition might not shoot the same.

The only way to know for sure is to try as many different loads as you can, and see which shoots the best.

As a good starting point, Eley is about the gold standard by which others are judged. It uniformly shoots the best out of most guns. Fiocchi, RWS, Lapua and others like CCI are also top tier.

For a more budget priced option I would be certain to try Aguilar SE if you can still find any or the Wolf Target. But you may get lucky and find that even the lowly Federal 510 will shoot exceptionally well in your gun.

Regards,
Rob

jglenn
11-16-2009, 09:09 AM
Wolf target match is some of the best Stuff for the $$

Twenty five ought six
11-16-2009, 09:31 AM
I've never done this but there's a gauge that lets you sort rimfire ammunition by the thickness of the rim. I've read that doing this on bulk ammunition will significantly improve groups to target ammo levels. I know serious target shooters do this on the high dollar stuff.

I used to shoot a lot of the Federal 711, but they've changed the number --I'm not sure what the current number is. Very accurate for the money.

Cknerr
11-16-2009, 12:03 PM
22lr is an odd ball cartridge. Instead of improving accuracy by pushing bullet speed to the very edge of blowing things up (well kinda), it is the opposite. Match ammo for 22lr is sub-sonic.

Ely,Wolf, and all the other match ammo are much quieter - now you know why. Every noticed how quit a pistol can be? The powder in some ammo burns so slowly it never gets a chance push the bullet super sonic -the noise from the sonic boom doesn't occur. Don't laugh - that "sonic boom" behind the bullet is loud enough at 600 yards, for other calibers that can shoot that far, to want ear protection. When it is making all that racket for 100 or 200 yards, not surprising a range is so noisy.

The other advantage to match ammo, other then consistanct powder charge, bullet weight, case prep, is the lube. Ely and others use a type that is a bit more oily then waxy. It does work better. Lot less barrel wear and it does shoot cleaner. There isn't a lot of wear in a 22lr barrel, but there is some. If you shoot extreme amounts, (ie. as in practicing for competition shooting) match ammo will let your barrel last a lot longer. I got my start in competition very early in life with an Anchutz that I still have. Has in excess of 1/4 million rounds through it and still shoots a 1" groups at 100 yards (yes, it was better at one time - ancient history). Always used match ammo except when hunting small game. (restocked it many years ago and shortened barrel) Probably should still use the match stuff...afraid the ranger fellow will think I was up to something using such "quit" ammo and "require" some explaining. hmmm, almost forgot about my fingers getting covered with that oil.

Hope this helps,
Chris

NOYDB
11-16-2009, 12:13 PM
There's more you can do:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gunsmith-Target-Ammo-Accuracy-Gauge-10-22-22-LR_W0QQitemZ190335046312QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Defa ultDomain_0?hash=item2c50da52a8

and..

http://www.leverguns.com/store/acurizer.htm

Have fun.

Washington95
11-19-2009, 07:08 PM
Eley shoots best in my TC Classic Benchmark, my Ruger MKIII Hunter, and Remington 552. This is Eley Club Extra; haven't tried pricier Eley.

Cknerr
11-19-2009, 07:50 PM
Lordy,
I thought BR shooting was bad. Talk about nausetating bleeding edge .... Thank heavens those tools did not exist when I was competing in small bore. Don't know if I have enough OCD to keep up with everything!

Chris

NOYDB
11-19-2009, 09:55 PM
Add the Bench set of headspace gages, only $225 +/-

rayjay
11-20-2009, 12:05 PM
At the Rimfire Benchrest matches the most commonly used ammo is Eley Match EPS aka Eley Black Box. Like any RF ammo there is a huge variance from lot to lot BUT Eley keeps up with all the variables. They have a large variety of different speeds, loading machines and lot numbers. You buy test lots, figure out what your rifle likes and then order as much of that specific lot as you can afford. The pic below is of a 5 shot group from a lot with a 1060 velocity and the group just to the right is a lot with a 1069 velocity.

For less severe accuracy demands any of the SK, Wolf, lower level Eley, etc will suffice. You will still need to buy several different types and give them a fair test.

I have a Suhl with the factory bbl that shoots Eley Club [$6 a box ] pretty well but does poorly with any of several lots of Eley Black box [$12 a box ] that I have tried. That's the way RF's are and why you have to be willing to test.

Cknerr
11-20-2009, 03:04 PM
"...willing to test". One of the main reasons I look forward to going to the range, and I'll admit a little to the socializing part....:biggrin2:

rayjay
11-20-2009, 04:52 PM
Plinking is not testing and testing is not plinking.

It can be a bit tedious but at least you're shootin.:shoot:

But when that 5th shot jumps into that .060" group :biggrin2: :clap: :yeah: :cheers:

redneckcamo
11-20-2009, 07:05 PM
cci minimags has always done it for me in the accuracy dept....

germag
11-22-2009, 09:52 PM
I got lucky.... sort of. I have 2 Kimber M82 rifles that both shoot best with the same ammo....Fiocchi V340 Biathalon. That made it easier....until Fiocchi discontinued the V340. Luckily I have a good stock of the same lot.

If you sort it by rim thickness, you can shoot some pretty impressive groups for sporter rifles.

My old Anschutz Model 54 liked Eley Tenex best.