skinning beaver

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Tread softly with this one folks.......... somebody give him a sensible answer.

bigkga69

if you want to make a traditional pelt then you can take the whole bottom jaw portion of hide off, that way all you have is the face to tan and it evens the pelt out!

ryanwhit

did you case skin? beaver is usually stretched on a hoop. a cut is made from the center of the lower lip to the center of the underside of the tail, and is then stretched on a hoop.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
An excellent hoop, and one that is traditional, is made from a willow saplin`. Cut it and bend it into a hoop, while green, and tie it together with either a strip of hickory bark, or a rawhide strip. The beaver hide can then be laced into the hoop frame, with a rawhide strip.

here is the results. what do yall think
trapping017.jpg

injun joe

Gone But Not Forgotten
Looks like you did a fine job. Beavers are tough to scrape.

TNGIRL

This looked real nice. Thanks Throwback for the link....it was very informative to me. I might have killed one this weekend, but chose not to. This thread made me wish once again I had tried anyway!!!!:)

Bkeepr

I was looking in Alaska magazine and there was a glossy ad for a beaver skin blanket, boy did it look nice and warm. Makes me want to get some and make my own because I sure can't afford to buy one!