trout packing

green46

I'll start this thread by saying I'm not really a fly fisherman. However, I do consider myself a trout fisherman. I like to spin fish with ultra light tackle. I'd like to hike in and fish in some more remote waters. I took a two day trip with my dad one time but I can't quite remember where we went. What I can remember is alot of hiking and not alot of fish catching. Anyone have any tips on where to go? I'd like to go somewhere in the North Georgia area. Any advice will be appreciated.

centerpin fan

Pick up the book, Trout Fishing in North Georgia by Jimmy Jacobs. It's full of info and is available at all the local fly shops. Amazon carries it, as well.

huntfish

I'll start this thread by saying I'm not really a fly fisherman. However, I do consider myself a trout fisherman. I like to spin fish with ultra light tackle. I'd like to hike in and fish in some more remote waters. I took a two day trip with my dad one time but I can't quite remember where we went. What I can remember is alot of hiking and not alot of fish catching. Anyone have any tips on where to go? I'd like to go somewhere in the North Georgia area. Any advice will be appreciated.

Most of the pack in areas are now closed. You can go the Chattooga.

green46

I've read Jimmy Jacobs' book and its great. I've got quite a few places to fish. I'm really looking for a good trail along a trout stream where I can pack in and stay overnight and do some fishing.

overbrook

Dude....I'm honestly not trying to stuff any elitist crap down your throat ::ke: ....on larger streams I don't care how you fish....its a personal preference.....but if your gonna hike into small stream country.....you should really consider picking up a cheap 7' 3wt rod and a few size 14 bushy dry flies.....you'd probably do much better on the catching end .....you don't really even need to know "how to cast" as you won't often need more than 5-10 ft of the flyline out + your leader. I'm only suggesting this because in the end....I really do think most people would enjot it more than throwing a rooster tail on such small waters. Sorry I can't help much on location. :huh:

:cheers:

green46

I really do need to try it. I just grew up spin fishing with my dad and never really tried fly fishing. I enjoy being on the water catching fish or not. I posted on this forum because its the best place to read about trout fishing in general. The freshwater fishing forum seems to be geared towards bass fishing.

overbrook

I know what ya mean.....I was a long time "hardware and bait" guy.....spent many many days watching a bobber....LOL......try it....you'll like it :)

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
I really do need to try it. I just grew up spin fishing with my dad and never really tried fly fishing. I enjoy being on the water catching fish or not. I posted on this forum because its the best place to read about trout fishing in general. The freshwater fishing forum seems to be geared towards bass fishing.

Your post is fine here.
Just know that most all the mountain streams are seasonal and are now closed. There are several sources of info out there that lists streams and their classifications. One is the GA/DNR Fishing Popular Guide. It lists which streams are seasonal and which are annual.

luv2drum

Be careful!!! Fly fishing can become an addictive habit. LOL. I just got into it myself. This is a great forum as well as the NGTO forum. I have learned more about trout fishing on these forums in the past six months than I have learned on my own in a lifetime.

Reece2

Conasauga or Jacks River in North GA are usually pretty good. If you're up for more of a drive Slick Rock or Little Snowbird in NC are also great.

Tightliner

Conasauga or Jacks River in North GA are usually pretty good. If you're up for more of a drive Slick Rock or Little Snowbird in NC are also great.

Both are great hike in/camp streams. There are some great feeder streams there as well (if you are into some bush crashing). Hovever, Jacks is closed for the season. IIRC Conasauga is year round. Either one, be prepared for a substantial walk in on the upper reaches.

Later............................................

THWACKG5

If you did a lot of hiking and not alot of fish catching, but it was beautiful you could have went to the Jacks river. Ive been there many times. As far as I know its all wild trout, if you take Beach Bottom Trail your looking at approx, 4 miles just to get to the river, then there are only certain areas that you are allowed to camp in. But the trip is always worth if for me just becasue its so pretty, and not a drive to river.. I have never caught more than 2 trout in one day...but i suck at trout fishing. :cheers:

Tightliner

Depending on your location, Reliance provides some good winter fishing. Plenty of midge activity and on a good day some sparce baetis (#22 and smaller). Buggers, zonkers and junk flies also do well on the put and take fish. Swinging a zebra behind a BHPT can produce. Check the TVA generation schedule B4 you go though!!!!!!

BTW: Reliance = Hiwassee in Tn. (yearly license are around $83, man are they proud of them!!!! :mad:)

Later............................