when are cubs born???

valiant

When are bear cubs born in Mid Ga.?? I saw a mama bear & cub at Oaky Woods Tuesday> The cub looked to be only 12-15 pounds at the most. I just thought they would be bigger this time of year.

Coastie

Bear cubs

Cubs, like adult Bears, are very difficult to estimate an accurate weight on. The cub in the attached photo was trapped and released on November 6th of this year and weighs about 45 pounds based on observations of it and a cub of similar size that had ben road killed a few days earlier. The photo makes it appear larger due to the angle, when it was on the ground on all fours, it seemed about 1/4 of the size in the picture.

IMG00167-20091106-1023.jpg

Coastie

Thats what I thought! But their is no way this cub is 8 or 9 mos old.

You know what you observed and nobody else can say just exactly what that may have been. Try to understand that Bears mate from, roughly,late April through July and the gestation period is about 220 days so do the math. Understand that not all bears follow the rules so a late born cub is possible just as late, or early, fawns are possible and may appear at nearly any time.

Bears work a little different than others mammals, they have delay implantation of the egg in the uterus a process that they share with others like: otters,wolverine, weasels,mink and badgers.
They mate around june, the fertilization of the egg do dormant and will not implant in the uterus till november. If the female she weights at least 150 lb when she enter the den there is a good chance that the embryos will implant & the gestation continue.
The developement of the embryo proceed normally birth occours late in jan.
The gestation is 7 months but in reality 5 months are the delay & the true gestation is only 8 weeks .
At birth they weights about 8 to 10 oz. , compared to other mamals this is very very small, but they grow very rapidly and are quite active by the time they leave the den with mama bear on spring. At 1 yr. they could weight 35 to 65 lb .